Hiding speakers in a torana

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

G'day,

Need to gather some suggestions for hiding two speakers in my LC. I want to have a bit of sound for long drives, i have a pair of 5x7 kickers that i'd like to use as opposed to the 6x9's that were in there, but they have to be out of sight. I tried fitting them in the boot but im worried everybody will be able to hear them going down streets with pedestrians. Where do you have your speakers mounted? Parcel shelf and doors is out of the question. 

Cheers

#2 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Just a cupl-o thoughts :: 1 = mounted vertical under rear seat... 2 = just in front of rear seat, horizontal facing forward... 3 = under front seats and same too with the head unit for the clear uncluttered factory look, Could even go remote control and never have to be fiddling with whilst driving......

#3 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

I used to have a pair in the holes in the panel behind the back seat.

Sound was a bit muffled but not too bad.

#4 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I really like the under back and front seats idea. I also thought about screwing them into the holes behind the back seat but the sound is pretty audible outside the car. I'll try under the front seats perhaps...

There are some American cars for which you can buy kick panels with speakers in them, don't know why no one has done this for the Torana.

#5 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Why not build your own kickpanels ? That is what I did on mine, and mounted speakers in there...

Not sure what LC's are like inside exactly though...how big are the kick panels and is there much of any room behind them? Hmmmm...

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

The kick panel opens into the inner guard well, so unless you want mud and road grime being flung at your speaker cones probably not a bad idea.

There is honestly no way to hide speakers in a LC/LJ whilst keeping a half reasonable sound stage.

What you could possibly do is have speakers in the front doors recessed a bit, remember the area under the quarter window is free area as the window doesnt wind up and down in it. 

Then just have some perforated material as part of the door trim...

Probably the only way whilst keeping the speaker somewhat in a nice location. 

Cheers. 

#7 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'd love to do that but I'm reluctant to damage the original gtr door cards. No room behind the kick panel but if they were made to span past the firewall like a corner cover, that would make room. I think I'll give it a go under the seat, not interested in great sound as much as I am sound in general. Under the back seat is good too but don't want it to be muffled.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Suppose if you somewhat made a box the kickpanel area would work. 

Obviously the other issue you would have with just jamming them in there is the speakers would be in free air so sound shit. Speakers need a box. 

Cheers. 

#9 _jtfenech_

_jtfenech_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

iv got 6 inch in the front doors and 6x9 in the parcel shelf all hidden under panels if I can figure out how to post pictures Ill show you

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

If you can email them to me at....

[email protected]

Then i would be happy to post them for you.

Cheers.

#11 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

YEah that sounds interesting. 

#12 _cliffos_

_cliffos_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Attached File  IMG_2605.JPG   140.12K   7 downloadsI had 2 existing 5 " holes in the parcel shelf when i bought the car ,so decided to use them but didn't want 2 big black lumps on the parcel shelf 

i mounted the speakers from inside the boot with 25mm speaker spacers so the parcel shelf board would sit flush .before the speakers went in I marked the holes from inside the boot and punched out the holes in the board OEM style . 

for the front speakers ,I have 4" speakers that I want to mount up under the dash .I was thinking of making a cover that goes from the bottom of the dash panel back to the firewall(passenger side) &using the heater bolts to mount brackets to support it .same for the drivers side but this is pretty tight, so i was just going to make an angled MDF plate & mount it up in the corner behind the dash.

The rears are done & i have a hidden car stereo(no face plate & remote control for the glove box) & amp that will be mounted in the boot behind the seat on a custom made panel

#13 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

My LJ already had holes cut in the rear parcel shelf so I brought a couple of 19 mm spacers and made up a 19 mm board to replace the old shelf liner thingy I had it covered in felt so it looks pretty cool,and not to far away from standard looking ,by doing this I could fit 6 X 9 s, I asked the guy who is going to do the roadworthy about the holes being cut,he told me to roll the edges and all will be cool
Phillip

#14 _jtfenech_

_jtfenech_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

worked it out

my interior is fairly custom though

Attached Files

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

I think a few of you lads need to learn what a sound stage is...

Having noise is one thing, having a nice sounding stereo is a whole nother kettle of fish....

I got the shits after spending tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on car audio, have home audio now, far nicer sounding...though not much cheaper and im always tweaking so probably as many hours.....

John, that looks cool as. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 26 March 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#16 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

I too like that style John, I'm scribbling on an piece of A4 as I type :D "Only tens of thou hey Bomber"?? Some systems cost a reasonable 3 bedroom house in Sydney if You Want To Get Serious, Have the Philharmonic Orchestra in Yo Loungeroom... Sadly the lil confined cockpit of an LC/LJ & even more so a 2 door is no real sounding board for decent Hi-Fi equipment, But hey don't let that stop anybody from trying, Just keep the bass to minimum Boys or us Torana owners tend to get "Stereo-Typed"......

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 26 March 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

I fully understand this Andrew. Pretty happy with the setup i have in the house for the dolllars spent. Shed gets the dregs. 

Its amazing the soundstage you can fit in a LC/LJ Torana, I eventually had a pretty orright system.....considering......won a few comps against far bigger dollar systems in far more suited cars, but yeah gave up and decided the 2 1/2" speaker out the bum was nicer. 

Age old engine building adage, a finely tuned low dollar engine will likely beat a poorly tuned high dollar engine, same applies to audio. 

But yeah thats why it shits me when people talk about hiding speakers under the dash and the like......No, No, No, No, just No, i'd prefer to have nothing. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 26 March 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#18 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

"I HEAR THAT"

#19 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

In the Side Panels next to the back seat, and when you lay the front seats back, your ears are in between them, also have a 12" woofers under the front seats, feel good too. Dave I

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thankfully back when i was playign with car audio although i was a bit poor i decided to spring $600 on a pair of high quality cans and tweaked the sound card in my computer to match....More than 2 weeks pay at the time.....

Still have the cans, but the puter is long gone. 

Let me listen to music in ludicrously high definition then try to copy that in the car. Never got close, but going by the trophies packed away in a box from SQ comps came close enough. 

And used to jump Genres tuning, i think this is most peoples issue, they will set up an audio system for SQ listening to one type of music, Back then i used to use Megalomaniac by KMFDM, Beethovens 7th, and Edge of 17 by our gurl STEVIE. 

Gave me a nice broad range of sounds to work with and tune to. 

Was great cruising down the highway looking straight ahead through teh windscreen and having the soundstage make it feel like a band was playing on a stage directly infront of you, 

Cheers. 

#21 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

A mate used to have "This Stereo System, Let's for argument sake call it a Front Row, Live Concert of Guns N Roses in One's Living Quarters, branded as Phase Linear and with something like 1000 Watts of Real Music Sound... Man that thing would & Most Certainly Had smashed out windows in neighbouring houses on volume 7, Nobody was stupid enough to turn it to max of 12, Although whilst pissed up  we did try several times, Got the speakers walking across the floor, And usually paid the price with a visit from the boys in blue, Funnily enough they never asked us to turn it down, Just demanded whilst reaching for the bracelets......

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 26 March 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#22 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

and a 120 amp chrome alternator

Edited by TORYPOWER, 26 March 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hehehee yeah i've assembled one of them to....Its called the shed system.....

Can do a burnout on the Harley and still hear the music crystal clear at about half volume hahaha.

Now i remember around the way back back in the day i use to know a DJ who could mix it wiked it pick it up pick it up like check one two, and we used to do a bit of DISK JOCKEY work together. 

Had my home system, and his home system, linked together in a 300sq/m ball room at one gig, doing a sound check before the EVENT we had it on pretty well full ball and i was standing at the back wall getting loud crystal clear music....Walk up to the very front of the stage, putting ear plugs in as i walkd, and same deal, crystal clear with no distortion, though i wouldnt have stood there without the tampons.....We held it at about 1/3rd all night haha. 

Cheers. 

#24 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

These days all one really needs is flaming lil I-pod thingy with decent amp in boot and as mentioned above "some decent, well thought out speaker location" will serve you nicely... IMO 90--100 watt R.M.S. and not this pmpo garbage fitted correctly with about half a dozen (Just Gotta Be 6) speakers is peak in an LJ......

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Door cards look awesome! Very different to what i expected.

And yes they have to sound good but im pretty happy to have sound as opposed to no sound. I have to wear earplugs on long drives to wash out the drooone. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users