Hiding speakers in a torana

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Yep yep. 

Ah the ipod, how easy that would have made out time back in the dj days, we used to drag along a desktop, a diskman and a turntable......

#27 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Jacob, before fitting a shit sterio i'd be incliend to look at some of the high quality canalphones you can get now days, and a shuffle. Or just plug them into your phone. 

I have a set of canalphones from headphonics in WA (only place i buy my cans from) which have a noise canceling function, basically there earplugs with speakers in them. Use them when riding the Harley long distance and they block out everything bar a slight thrumb from the engine.

Only cost me like $200.

Cheers.  

#28 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Jacob, you need to upgrade,

how things have changed DJ,

What do we need next, or go back toe the simple Crystal radio. Dave I

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Its funny, i stil have a turntable, dedicated amp, and my previously mentioned high end cans, and like to spin some vinyl every now and then. 

Not everything has to be high tech wonderfull gadgetry. 

Cheers. 

#30 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Yes It Does... Well according to The 2nd Half anyway, Made me toss out my full quadraphonic stereo system & large box speakers because in her words "They Look like 1970 all over again" "They sure forkin do Baby & that's why my love for them shall never fail".... 2 weeks later they were out the front for council clean-up (never lasted an hour as the local vultures were circling when she put it out there), Only to be replaced with this hi-tech 5 speaker crappy kenwood / fit it in a suitcase type of crud...2 years later & Now thankfully that system resides in my garage, With Her only input being "Can You Turn it Down a Lil"

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 26 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#31 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hmmm, hope you have a small garage......The 6.2ch system in my shed is barely adequate haha. 

Cheers. 

#32 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Ohh shed is only 6x3, But stereo is starting to play up whilst changing cd's, the twin tape player chewed 1 too many of my cassettes so maybe time to start frolicking on fleBay for some decent sounds, Trouble is it echoes right down the street which is where she can hear it from when returning from the shops......

#33 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Its all in her mind....Blaze on brother.......

https://www.youtube....h?v=CSvFpBOe8eY

#34 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well I've got 2 cdj900s, a djm 800 and 2 sl1200s so I like to think I'm not too far behind. As for the toz I don't know I'm just pretty against audio in older cars. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have it but it would have to be hidden. But at the very least I wouldn't mind a couple speakers just to hear some tunes on a long run.

With my daily drives I always upgrade the audio. The first thing I did to my ute was install 4 new speakers, amp, double din stereo. No sub no room haha.

Edited by judgelj, 26 March 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#35 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

I managed to cram a 10" DVC sub in my old 85 Hilux extracab....Between the seats, facing backwards in a box that made up half the center console to be big enough, amp mounted behind each seat, one for the sub and one for the splits in the front, it was actually pretty nice, had to have the sub wound way down though to sound any good lol.

Did get third in a SPL contest once when we cranked it righ tup and entered it for shits and giggles.  

What im saying is anything's possible, but if i were in your position, with what i've done, i'd be getting some headphones. 

Cheers. 

#36 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I've got good headphones I dj with, but never thought of taking them in the car. Im probably going to stuff some 6x9s or even 5x7's under the seats this weekend. Doubt they will sound good but will do the job. 

#37 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

any update Jacob,

we need a sound recording

#38 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Haha what do you need a sound recording of?

When i stop breaking things ill start the speakers!! The hardest part is going to be pulling up the carpet to run the speaker cable under the chairs!

#39 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

I ran the cables along the edge, lifted the scuff Plates

#40 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Nothing like digging up an old thread haha, my old man used to DJ weddings and parties around Sydney back in the very late 70's to the early-mid 80's and had an LX Torana at the time, 173 auto as I was told, until he blew that up and put a wrecker special 202 into it which ended up being a mint engine. That car was stolen from Campbelltown station in 1987 and burnt out sadly. Used to pull the bottom rear seat cushion out to put the speakers in the back and all the other gear in the boot.

Still have his mixer too, used to have the speakers and amp, but amp blew up after the gear was dug out of retirement on the afternoon of December 31st, 1999 when I was around 9. Six years later the homebuilt speakers eventually succumbed to garage damp and the boxes just fell apart. Chipboard and blue carpet with aluminium angle trim and black speaker cloth over the fronts. 12" woofer and a horn tweeter in each speaker. Legend Disco Mixer, aussie built, just like the 100w Jands amplifier. Two AGS turntables (one died of wear and tear and other was ripped apart by dad's mates dog) and a Marantz cassette deck for those songs he didn't have in the 3 crates of vinyl. I often point out how I can carry those 3 crates of music and more in my pocket on a thumbdrive, iPod/iPhone or SD card. Nothing has the soul of vinyl though.

#41 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Vinyl is the best. Ive got over 300 records myself.

#42 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

Ben23 if you were going to blow up that amp then the last day before the end of the world was the day to do it!

#43 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

It actually made it a few hours into 2000, probably around 2-3am it popped. Wasn't overdriven, just old as frOck and it had a hard life previously. We all joked that it was Y2K haha. That was an awesome night for a 9 year old. Not actual DJ'ing was done pretty sure dad just ran a line out from the back of the telly to the gear out the back and just played the video hits countdown on channel 10.

#44 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hahaha, doesnt matter. As long as it keeps the crowd happy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users