Another HJ ute resto!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Cbwardy_

_Cbwardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hey guys! over the past two years I've been slowly working away on a HJ ute I purchased in January of 2012 and thought I might as well post a few pics of her journey.

Progress was slow due to completing my VCE in '12 and starting uni last year. Finally, due to the uni holidays over the past couple of months I was able to spend some solid time getting it back on the road.

Firstly I have to say, this forum along with other closely related forums had helped me tremendously in areas of especially paint and body, engine and interior work. So I'm very grateful.

I made the mistake of not taking enough photos of the car when I first got it, but here it is IMG_0098.jpg

rust removed in front of the rear wheel  and welded back up- the wheel arch was a complete mess. It looked like the lip around the wheel arch had been replaced by an incompetent welder (not yet rectified in this pic), and their filler hadn't stuck to the metal very well at all and was coming off in big chunks.

IMG_0736.jpg

Most of my time in the early stages were spent trying to get the sides straight, the flat panels weren't the best for learning how to use filler, but I got there in the end. A lot of work trying to heat and cool the panel was needed to shrink the metal so it wouldn't pop back out when the high spot was pushed in. If you haven't seen restolad's channel on youtube, check it out. Heaps of helpful info for car body restoration!

IMG_0675.jpg

It came with 2 original gts guards, the bottoms of both were rusted out. The LHS guard was so badly damaged at the top and bottom, only the flutes were salvageable.

IMG_0676.jpg

http://s1199.photobu...tml?sort=3&o=52

IMG_0691.jpg

flindstone car!IMG_0744.jpg

tack welded

IMG_0745.jpg

half way through getting rid of all the old paint in the back...

IMG_0773.jpg

Made a makeshift spray booth in the shed out of black builders plastic... $100 later

IMG_1362.jpg

Getting ready for primer

IMG_1371.jpg

epoxy primed

IMG_1365.jpg

bonnet primed

IMG_0885.jpg

some colour

IMG_0893.jpg

welded guard in primer

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

in primer

IMG_1376.jpg

colour

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

bit of a break from painting

IMG_1555.jpg

#2 _Cbwardy_

_Cbwardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Pressure washed the seats and made a bit of a start on the interior

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

Installing the headlining wasn't my favourite job, but came out better than expected

IMG_1886.jpg

Rebuilt and put in an efi engine from a vk Calais with injection manifold running straight gas. (had to take the v8 out since im on p plates which really sucks, considering my v6 vs statesman is much, much faster than a 253 and im legally allowed to drive that.)

IMG_1717.jpg

nearing the end!

IMG_1770.jpg

Finally on club reg. I've been driving it a couple of times a week. Wouldn't mind it as a daily driver actually!

IMG_1952.jpg

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Nice one. Do you know what the car was? I mean Holden or Kingswood? What driveline? Good to see you left the tarp hold down on, they look silly without them. If you want send me the car's ID and i'll check it out for you. I record all HQ-HZ commercial ID as part of my Sandman research and every now and then sometghing a bit left field turns up so you never know until you look what a car may have been.

#4 _Cbwardy_

_Cbwardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

It was originally a 202, 3 speed column shift with a 3.36 banjo diff according to the plate. It was just a kingswood I'm pretty sure. I'd rather not share numbers over the internet sorry mate. I've gone to the effort not to show number plates too. Not that I don't trust you, just doesnt feel right sharing it.

Anyway it has a 3.08 10 bolt salisbury, efi 202 and 3 speed manual with floor shifter

Cheers, Wardy

Edited by Cbwardy, 11 March 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#5 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

That came up well, nice job

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

It was originally a 202, 3 speed column shift with a 3.36 banjo diff according to the plate. It was just a kingswood I'm pretty sure. I'd rather not share numbers over the internet sorry mate. I've gone to the effort not to show number plates too. Not that I don't trust you, just doesnt feel right sharing it.

Anyway it has a 3.08 10 bolt salisbury, efi 202 and 3 speed manual with floor shifter

Cheers, Wardy

No worries. I record ID which helps with Sandman authentication but no dramas. I can't direct you to my website unfortunately as it is OOS as the hosting company's server died and I have yet to find the original html files to upload tothe new host server.

#7 _Cbwardy_

_Cbwardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

No worries. I record ID which helps with Sandman authentication but no dramas. I can't direct you to my website unfortunately as it is OOS as the hosting company's server died and I have yet to find the original html files to upload tothe new host server.

I'd love to see what you've put together once you get it all working again.

You were right in your previous post too, I don't think they look right without the tonneau clips. I think I'd be too scared to weld up the holes in fear of warping the metal!

I'm thinking about putting one of those gts front spoilers on it too... Thoughts?

Edited by Cbwardy, 11 March 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'd just leave it, will attract a lot less attention. Maybe paint the headlight surrounds black and the grille black like a HZ Sandman and blackout the sills as well. They are painted with a satin black so it is easy to remove off the orange later with a scouring pad. I have the paint code for the original satin if you want it.

#9 _Cbwardy_

_Cbwardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

The paint code would be great! Thanks
*googles hz sandman*

The p.o painted the interior orange, so that's why I continued with the same colour and just got it matched. he mentioned it was a sandman colour? Dunno whether it is or not.

He also told me that he wanted to put the hx sandman decals on it. I considered it, but they're just too expensive

Edited by Cbwardy, 11 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users