Turbo Timers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

I have a few questions regarding turbo timers, and how long to let a turbo engine cool.

How long should you let a turbo car idle before shutting it off when:
You have been driving the car hard?
You have been driving like a granny?

Usually what i do is, when i get close to my house (a few streets away) drive really calm and slow to let it cool a bit, then when i pull up at home i will let the car idle while i go check the mail, get my stuff out the car, Then turn it off. Probably couple minute or so (Longer if i have been driving hard).

Also, whats involved in fitting a simple turbo timer?

It really sucks when im running late for work, im driving faster to get there on time, then i have to sit in my car for a minute or so before i turn it off!

The turbo i have is not water cooled, I have no intercooler, I DO have water injection (Second 2 probably dont make a difference tho)

Thanks

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

What you've described is long enough, be warned with turbo timers, MOST insurance companies wont insure a car with a turbo timer fitted

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:21 AM

Turbo timers as you are probably aware are to protect the turbo. Turbos can spin to in excess of 40,000 rpm under load so you could imagine thrashing the car all the way home, sliding it in to the driveway, and turning off the ignition as you stop that the turbo will still be spinning hard (and hot) WITH NO OIL PRESSURE TO FEED IT. What you are doing is O.K. Another safeguard is to use high quality turbo oil which is designed for turbo protection.

#4 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:54 AM

most ricers are set there timers for 3minutes ahahahahahahahaha
:spoton: tom

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:55 AM

fitting should be straight forward, the timer allows voltage to the coil for a pre determined time so you can switch off the ignition and lock up the car.

the lenght of time is really up to you and may vary with driving habbit.
i would say the longer the better for max cooling effect, which if via the engine oil feed, and is probable from one to three minutes.
do some temp checks and see how long it takes for the temp to fall off.

never used one myself but i would say most good ones are time adjustable.

ensure all fuel and oil lines are up to scratch as the car is going to be running unsupervised when you are dashing in to work running late. ( of course if you were early you would have time to sit in the C/P).

Edited by ALX76, 09 July 2006 - 02:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users