Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Gday everyone,

I have recently purchased an LC torana that bears many signs of a GTR.

Unfortunately the tags were stolen in the 80s, hence the car cannot be sold (and was not sold) as a GTR.

I do have all paperwork since the 80s, which includes a GTR engine number, as well as SA documents refering to the car as a 1969 LC GTR TORANA.

The car also appears to have some of the tell tale signs of being a GTR.

Obviously this is no guarantee of originality, however I was wondering if there was a possibility, or an existing service, where I could have my car inspected and a report drawn up indicating the various features that make it concurrent with "possibly" being a genuine GTR?

I am planning on keeping this car for many years (possibly forever), however it would be great to have an independent examination to provide some further opinion as to whether the car is genuine.

Any advice?

#2 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Join a GTR-XU-1 club and I'm sure the members will help out.

Not many people want to put anything in writing incase it bites them on the bum.

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi mate.....

There are a couple of guys on here who are good references ( there's more than a couple actually , but 2 spring to mind )...John Gong and Bazza.
These guys and some others are all over these cars....and normally offer excellent advice.

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

I don't think it matters hugely in any case as it doesn't have tags. If you are happy with it just use it, doesn't matter if it is a replica or an original.

Note that you may be able to nail the original car off the GMH service/warranty records if you have the original engine number and chassis number (chassis number will tell you which assembly plant records to look for it in). The chassis number will also give you a really good idea of approx what month it was built so it can possibly be found. Hopefully it isn't one of those cars with no engine number recorded or worse still not recorded at all (there are a few of those too). 

#5 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't think it matters hugely in any case as it doesn't have tags. If you are happy with it just use it, doesn't matter if it is a replica or an original.

Note that you may be able to nail the original car off the GMH service/warranty records if you have the original engine number and chassis number (chassis number will tell you which assembly plant records to look for it in). The chassis number will also give you a really good idea of approx what month it was built so it can possibly be found. Hopefully it isn't one of those cars with no engine number recorded or worse still not recorded at all (there are a few of those too). 

Thanks mate.

You are right regaring no plates etc, however I would just like to know for my own interests. I am planning on having this car for a very, very long time, hence re-sale is not relevant to me.

I do have the original chassis, and engine number as well as the first rego plate number. It was an adelaide car.

#6 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

J,

If the Records are still at the Licencing centre, your in luck. Dave I

#7 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

just another bit of info....I would think being a 69 er, it would have never had an ADR plate fitted near the wiper motor, as the plate was not reqd until 1/70.
Thus, there should be no holes there.

Edited by RallyRed, 12 April 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#8 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

I got a 69er, and has the holes

I have also inspected a 69er and it had holes too

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

With the engine number it should be able to be found if the engine number is recorded. Any original dealer stickers on it?

#10 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

jkirky hi

your best bet would be to give john gong a pm as john lives in sydney

otherwise id be happy to inspect your torana,     the only problem is im in melb if u want me to view it will cost u a return flight

either way u will know 100% if your torana is a gtr or not

regards   aldo

#11 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Gday everyone,

I have recently purchased an LC torana that bears many signs of a GTR.

Unfortunately the tags were stolen in the 80s, hence the car cannot be sold (and was not sold) as a GTR.

Obviously this is no guarantee of originality, however I was wondering if there was a possibility, or an existing service, where I could have my car inspected and a report drawn up indicating the various features that make it concurrent with "possibly" being a genuine GTR?

And yet in the A9X "Hatchbach" for sale thread there are people arguing black and blue that a car doesn't need tags to make it what it is.
Yes you should have it inspected and if it is a GTR then it is a GTR. It's not worth as much as one with them, but a GTR with no plates is worth more than an SL with no plates. (And not just in $ terms either)

#12 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

With the signs that you already know of its more than likely a GTR no need to fly people from another state to check it out
im sure there would be some sydney boys that would look at it for you

#13 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Or just post up a heap of pics and the details you know here.... Verified from the comfort of your lounge chair :)

#14 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

With the signs that you already know of its more than likely a GTR no need to fly people from another state to check it out
im sure there would be some sydney boys that would look at it for you

Thanks again for your help earlier mate...

One of the "problems" with my car is the GTR signs in the engine bay have been removed (my engine bay has been completely smoothed at some point- bears now bears little resemblance to original, hence the throttle bracket triangle thingy is missing (it has virtually nothing on firewall). Also, the original LC dash has been replaced with an LJ GTR dash at some point. Does have LC GTR trim though.

#15 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

jkirky hi

your best bet would be to give john gong a pm as john lives in sydney

otherwise id be happy to inspect your torana,     the only problem is im in melb if u want me to view it will cost u a return flight

either way u will know 100% if your torana is a gtr or not

regards   aldo

Thanks for the help mate- I will try to contact John via PM.

Perhaps I can just wait for the next toranafest and have a few who are more knowledgable than I have a look!

Is there any news on when (and where) the next toranafest will be?

#16 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

And yet in the A9X "Hatchbach" for sale thread there are people arguing black and blue that a car doesn't need tags to make it what it is.
Yes you should have it inspected and if it is a GTR then it is a GTR. It's not worth as much as one with them, but a GTR with no plates is worth more than an SL with no plates. (And not just in $ terms either)

I agree shiney... The interest from my perspective is for sentimental value, not financial. If it can be verified as a GTR, it would make the car just a little more precious to me than it already is. Couldn't care less if the car was worth $5 000 or $50 000, it is a car that I have always wanted and looked for a long time to find (15 years on and off, actually).

#17 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

I got a 69er, and has the holes

I have also inspected a 69er and it had holes too

69er with holes eh??...is that normal?..wonder if its a late 69 thing, where they knew the car would need them if it didn't get out the front gate in time before the clock struck 00:00 on the 1/1/70???....is yours close to end 69?

p.s. sorry for the thread steal jkirky

Edited by RallyRed, 13 April 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#18 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

well, Bazza said it was a November one if I remember, from the Skinny Tag and the Chassis Number.

I look for it now Col:-

#19 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

here we go - http://www.gmh-toran...e-3#entry807122

#20 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

ta...guess that fits the "just in case they needed to fit the tag after all "theory...

#21 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

agree

#22 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:24 PM

And the verdict was ?

#23 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:01 AM

I think it was be an unusual trait if you didn't care whether it was a GTR or an SL (not having a chop, just an observation). I think with anything 'collectable' whether it be postage stamps or axe heads, everyone enjoys owning something that it rare and it likely to appreciate. Part of the addiction to collecting things is just we (car collectors) have the added benefit of being able to drive them for extra enjoyment. If it was my car I would definately want to know whether I was in possession of a $5000 car or potentially a $50,000 car. The later $ would encourage you to spend money restoring it. But having said all this, its your car and you do whatever you want that pleases you.

#24 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 11:01 AM

As soon as tags are gone it is worth the same regardless. Only value difference will be any parts on it. Rare doesn’t necessarily mean valuable either, but collectors get that I suppose. A HQ V8 Belmont sedan with bucket seats, auto and LSD would be very rare, so too a 4spd HQ Statesman (wouldn’t that be a pig? A 202 4spd manual Statesman sporting a 3.55 rear axle!). Someone would see them as collectable but they certainly wouldn’t be necessarily valuable compared to say a HQ SS (which would probably be near 2000x more common than the HQ Belmont described) or a HQ Deville which would be probably 10,000x more common than the 4spd Statesman.

#25 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

And the verdict was ?

SA roads confirmed the car's first registration was an LC GTR, I have the physical copies of the related registration details from the 70s which list it as a gtr, Holden historic services indicated that the car is almost certainly a gtr but conceded without the tags, they can not issue a certification of authenticity, which is fair enough... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users