No engine numbers on block

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hi people

A friend of mine has a VT 5.0L motor that he has built up and in now selling. Even though it is a VT block it only runs a carby top end, i am thinking of putting it into my torana however.

When it was rebuilt the deck was machined and took the engine numbers off so it no longer has any engine number (I know the motor is not stolen I was there when ihe bought the bare block).

I asked Regency park about it and they said that as it is a VT block I have to run it as an injected motor, no carby and because it has no engine number it needs to go for a full pits inspection.

Can they tell by looking at the block that it is a VT block?
What can i do about getting an engine number without going for a full pits inspection.
Has anyone got pictures of where the numbers are meant to be?

Thanks
Casey

#2 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

ive got the same problem with my motor, i got a bare block that i sent off and didnt right the engine numbers down, now it has no numbers and when i asked regency they said to put it in and bring it to them. NO WAY am i going near them unless i have to. ill send you a pm

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

tool suppliers sell stamps and so does the post office ;)

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

There is a bloke in adelaide that can help you out with block restamping :tease:

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

So in SA you have to comply to the block, rather than the ADR's on the tag of the vehicle???? I'd tell them it's an early 5.0l block from a VK, most of them wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I don't think the exterior markings changed from VK to VT except for the engine number.

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

^ it would also be dated via the casting number so dont go changing the engine number if it still shows a casting from quite a few years on.

Edited by GML-31, 12 July 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

They might want to x-ray the block & check the numbers to make sure it isn't stolen uness you can provide the receipt & then they will put what people call 'cop numbers' on,this is what was done at the rta inspection place in Granville.A mate did this so that he didn't have to use cats & pollution gear on his hq when he put a vt engine in,lady at the rta only wanted to see receipt for engine & what the new numbers were,he also told her it was an early block but she had no idea let alone care.
The numbers are on the n/s of the block just under the head.

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Last Main Roads person who did my inspection was a 18 yo girl who did not know what an engine number was...I called it out and she wrote it down! :<_<:
R

#9 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

Do you curently have a 308 engine or block that you intent on keeping? You can buy a stuffed one so you have one, just make sure it's from around the same erra as your car to be in line with the ADR's of your car.
If so I'll leave the rest to you imagination.
Just never sell that old 308.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users