Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Does anybody know if the footage is available that was taken in the pic? It would be a good insight into how close the T cars were to the race cars.  Note the "Brock" mirror and the Double Overhead Wind Deflectors on the drivers wiper.
Attached File  t15 001.jpg   105.23K   8 downloads

#2 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Part of this footage is in one of the videos, but only for a few seconds

A T car is a race car they just didn't enter in the race, so it's the same

#3 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Were they usually older (less competitive) race cars? I would like to be able to see the back of the roll cage in this one as one of them was different to the rest. I thought it was fitted to a T car.  I did some research a few years ago on the HDT VK Group A T car and I believe it was never entered in a race. I am probably wrong. Have been before and will be again. ^_^ What say you Outer?

#4 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

They were the Test Race Car, so as REDA9X said they were a race car, would have to be, to be on the Track

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Not always, it depended on the rules of the year involved.

A good example would be 1978 you were allowed to have a T car, but you couldn't use it in the race. You probably remember Phil Brock writing off the Janson hatch in practice. The team wasn't allowed to run the T car in the race so they "rebuilt" the race car for the race.

In 1979 you could enter multiple cars in the race and race the one you wanted to race. If you look at the race entry for some of the teams you will see they had two cars entered, but only one actually raced. A classic example of this was Bob Morris. He took two hatches to Bathurst in 79, entered both, raced one. The owner of the car in Perth argued for years his car was the Bathurst car because the log books show it was entered in 1979, but it's not the car they used in the race.

Were they usually older (less competitive) race cars? I would like to be able to see the back of the roll cage in this one as one of them was different to the rest. I thought it was fitted to a T car.  I did some research a few years ago on the HDT VK Group A T car and I believe it was never entered in a race. I am probably wrong. Have been before and will be again. ^_^ What say you Outer?

#6 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Make sense. Slako took his hatch and his converted L34 in '79 but never used the sedan even though he only got 111 laps in the A9X.

#7 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

Does anybody know if the footage is available that was taken in the pic? It would be a good insight into how close the T cars were to the race cars.  Note the "Brock" mirror and the Double Overhead Wind Deflectors on the drivers wiper.
post-26163-0-59767600-1403138663.jpg

Being film cameras the weight and cost of doing this was significant. I remember the first car (Celica) to ever carry the new racecam system developed by channel 7 was a considerable imposition both in the size of the set-up and the weight. Teams didn't want to carry it for quite a while until they realised just how popular what Williamson did by talking during the actual race became. It was great PR and was to change racing on tv forever.  Someone would have that film in this car as it was bloody expensive unlike video so they wouldn't throw it. The mountings are serious but 100mph tape looks like lets not loose the camera !!!

I did some research a few years ago on the HDT VK Group A T car and I believe it was never entered in a race.

T = Taxi

Edited by LXSS350, 19 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#8 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha I didn't even see it coming. :lol:

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

FMD can we not bring the same old grandpa joke into every single thread FFS

#10 SP5000

SP5000

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SLR5000 (1983-1986)

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Who is driving the L34?

#11 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

He's just the old bloke in the corner shouting out stuff to anyone who listens LOL.

Still funny non the less. Bloody T car.

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Colin Bond

Who is driving the L34?

#13 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

cant remember the specifics,.... but can clearly remember several teams running T cars at Bathurst on the Saturday practice, back in the 70's.

First year we went was the year Slako that the black hatch, that lost a wheel up on top of the mountain.

Think Bob Forbes had a T hatch ?

Thought that they used the T cars for various purposes like running in engines and giving the second driver some track time while the #1 guy was out out the the track in the ''real'' car practicing.

IMHO

#14 SP5000

SP5000

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SLR5000 (1983-1986)

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Colin Bond

Thanks Red, is that car still around today?

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Well, I'd have to say yes. The 3 original HDT race L34's are still around. The rally car in Sydney, the cut and shut car in the Champion museum, and the third is in Melbourne and still raced. There was one other as well, but it's an LX built as an L34 to replace the cut and shut car and later converted to an A9X. It's still around too. I'd say this is the cut and shut car.

Thanks Red, is that car still around today?

#16 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well, I'd have to say yes. The 3 original HDT race L34's are still around. The rally car in Sydney, the cut and shut car in the Champion museum, and the third is in Melbourne and still raced. There was one other as well, but it's an LX built as an L34 to replace the cut and shut car and later converted to an A9X. It's still around too. I'd say this is the cut and shut car.

What about Outers L34 HDT?

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

What about it?

What about Outers L34 HDT?

#18 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

What about it?

Just saying, what about his car, nothing malicious, underhanded or being a smart arse. It's a HDT L34 and you didn't include it, that's all.

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Is it? Is that fact or speculation? Considering they are all accounted for?

Just saying, what about his car, nothing malicious, underhanded or being a smart arse. It's a HDT L34 and you didn't include it, that's all.

#20 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Is it? Is that fact or speculation? Considering they are all accounted for?

So you don't think it is??? Little surprised to hear that to be honest.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

No, I never said that. I'm saying all three are accounted for, plus the replacement shell, and Harry always said there never was a replacement shell. Harry however did a little dodgy deal because he felt Holden owed him money over the A9X development. He was adament they only ever had 3 race cars, and the rally car was a Group C car at one short stage of it's life. So you had a car for Brock, a car for Bond, and the rally car. Harry so tight, they cut Bonds car in two after Amaroo in 76 and welded a new rear onto it.

At the end of the L34 run, two sedans got updated to A9X specs, the new shell (Harvey demanded to replace the shut and shut), and the cut and shut. So one original L34 (besides the rally car) escaped A9X upgrade. That car is still racing today as an L34.  These are all proven cars, so where would this extra fit in as a Group C car?

So you don't think it is??? Little surprised to hear that to be honest.

#22 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

No, I never said that. I'm saying all three are accounted for, plus the replacement shell, and Harry always said there never was a replacement shell. Harry however did a little dodgy deal because he felt Holden owed him money over the A9X development. He was adament they only ever had 3 race cars, and the rally car was a Group C car at one short stage of it's life. So you had a car for Brock, a car for Bond, and the rally car. Harry so tight, they cut Bonds car in two after Amaroo in 76 and welded a new rear onto it.
At the end of the L34 run, two sedans got updated to A9X specs, the new shell (Harvey demanded to replace the shut and shut), and the cut and shut. So one original L34 (besides the rally car) escaped A9X upgrade. That car is still racing today as an L34.  These are all proven cars, so where would this extra fit in as a Group C car?

Agreed you didn't say it but you implied it when you said they were all accounted for and Wayne's car was not in your list. Word play mate, not into that.

So there were 3 HDT L34 cars then,

Sorry Laurie, got the topic off track, back to the Taxi then.... Whoops T car.

#23 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Is the blue triangle on the wrong side?

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

I didn't include it because I'm dealing with the facts I know. If I don't know something, I won't comment on it. Nothing implied at all.

Agreed you didn't say it but you implied it when you said they were all accounted for and Wayne's car was not in your list. Word play mate, not into that.

So there were 3 HDT L34 cars then,

Sorry Laurie, got the topic off track, back to the Taxi then.... Whoops T car.

#25 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Is the blue triangle on the wrong side?

Nope, oil tank and battery swap sides.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users