hatchback seats

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Just wondering if I put seats from another car in my hatch do they have to fold forwrd to allow access to the back seat or is the reclining adjustment enough?
I intend on putting in commodore or similar electric seats.

If not, does anyone know of any coupes that came out with electric seats eg mazda/ toyota etc

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

just one thing I know in Qld you would have to get it engineered with a mod plate if you do it. I know 94 series celica seats are pretty comfy if memory serves me correct

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

if you are going from a 5 seater to a 4 seater you will need this engineered to reflect the compliance plate which states seat 5 occupants ( meaning 5 seats and belts as per ADR.).

#4 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

More for a convenience thing full flip foward is almost a must. I have put in seats from a series 6 RX-7 and they are awesome.

I know that Toyota soarers came out with electric seats in some models and apparently are a very close fit for torana.

In terms of using non-original mounting holes there are a couple of rules. These are the Queensland laws.

1. Bolts have to be at least 8mm, ISO Grade 10.9 or above and fine thread. (or SAE grade 8 in the imperial equivalent)
2. Backing plate (underneath the car) must follow the contour of the floorpan and be 3mm thick mild steel with a surface area of 3750mm sq. (use 50mm x 75mm)
3. Backing plate edges in contact with the floorpan must be rounded as well as the corners of the plate
4. The bolt thread must poke out the other side of the nut.
5. Spring washer or nylock (but no need for both)

I've got the full guidelines at home if you need more detail. Nothing is stated about washers etc at the head of the bolt. For the bolt specifications needed I could only get a hexal bolt and the head is so small it fits through the seat hole. I'm assuming that 3mm mild steel as a washer would suit but I think I'll use 5mm to be sure. Nothing is stated in the regulations and the seat frame is only 3mm anyway.

Cheers
Jim

#5 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

pm flamenco, he has gone thru all this with his Hatch, I know he had to get a RWC so he can help you out with what Vic Roads want.

#6 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

Thanx heaps for the info fellas.
Not going four seats, just electric. Thanks for the heads up on all the bracket info Jim.
Has Flamenco got seats that dont flip forward? That is my main concern if fitting Vx Seats.

#7 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

Seriously, go to a japanese car wreckers. They have literally thousands. I got mine for $300 and they have holes in the top for harness and don't look unsuited to a hatch. I found the wreckers were pretty happy to let you walk through and sit in them till you find one you like. If you want electric soarer are the go.

In my opinion having full flip foward seats, if needed legally or not, are so important. They slide foward too to give extra room for getting in and out. There are so many two door japanese sports cars - the choice is limitless.

I'm preaching now.

If you want the Queensland regs word for word PM me - I'm all over it. I think the mounting principles would be fairly similar across states

Cheers
Jim

#8 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:02 AM

Gday ChiaLX, My leather VX seats don't 'flip' forward by releasing a catch or similar. They are electric so you just flick a switch to make them tilt all the way forwards... They are always powered (not just on accessories)... I had no issues with rego - they didn't say anything really!

#9 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thanks again Jim and Flamenco.
I will look at Jap seats too.
I have a Vx SS and love the seats in that, and would love to have the same in my hatch too as they are really comfy and hug you.
Flamenco: Are your seats from a statesman? as that looks like the way to go(* both seats electric)
I am rapped you said they didnt hassle you at rego.

Not really concerned for myself if they dont flip forward as i dont really intend to have backseat passengers anyway and if I do it would be on odd occassions anyway.Only worried if they meet rego requirements.
I will do as Jim says and look at Jap cars too though cos' they tend to be lighter and might even get me some heated seats from a Lexus!! Now wouldnt that be cool.( I mean warm) hehe

#10 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

Mine are from an SS (as far as I know!), they are dark grey leather, have the VX 'SS' logo embroidered into the seat's backrest and are both electric... I was told they were an option on SS's at the time. Good luck with it!

#11 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

I noticed you had to modify your door handles 'cos they foul the seats. What did you have to do or what handles did you use?
Mick

#12 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

I just used some japanese cars door handles (went to the wreckers) I can't remember what car the door handles were off - I just looked for some that were made out of metal and not plastic...

I had to drill a few holes in the door to attach the new handles, they work the same way as original - it only pulls the rod towards the front of the car. You just need to find the correct position to mount the handles (where the rod ends).

The armrests were from a mitsubishi scorpion. I felt like a change since the dash is totaly different to the stock torana one anyway - I can't remember the original armrests fouling on the seats. I did have to make up some brackets for the rear of the seats though because they bolt through on a 45degree angle on the VX's.
:D

#13 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the info Flamenco, just gotta find some seats now.

#14 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

No worries! Just ask or pm when it comes to fitting them if you need to...

#15 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

Monaro flip forward..............
AND all electric. My fave bit is the electric height adjust. :P

Grant..

#16 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

My ones have height adjust too - Lumbar support is still manual though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users