Problem with rear handbrake cables

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _parsons5000_

_parsons5000_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hey guys having dramas with rear handbrake lines being to short . I bought new cables and am finding they won't reach where the guides meet the body to the cables . Does anyone have photos of how it's meant to sit ?

#2 _abtorana_

_abtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

this is looking under passenger side

cables on mine are original and they were hard to stretch onto the hook

you need to connect cable to wheels then connect joiner and then try to pull it onto the hook

hope this helps

Attached Files

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

handbrake.jpg

#4 _parsons5000_

_parsons5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

thanks guys ill take a photo and show u my problem ..... one side i can get to pull to the holding rod but other side i cant pull it over far enough to reach the other rod , its like one side is to short ( frustrating )

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

The right cable is longer than the left as you can see by the joiner #6. Sounds like you could have two left cables.

#6 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

From memory you've got a 9" installed.

Does it have HQ drums on it or sort sort of discs?

If you have the HQ drums the cables probably will be too short as the HQ drums sits the actuating hook further back than the torana drums.  I had exactly the same issue when I went from my torana diff to 9" with HQ drums.  The work around for me was to mod where the holding rods hook onto the body to have them sit further to the back of the car.  You will see on the plate which is welded to the floor where the holding rods hook on that there is a bump a few inches further back which hasn't been drilled.  I neatly drilled a few holes and cleaned it up with a dremel on them so the rods hooked on further back. Made all the difference and hooks on fine ever since - plus for the fussy buggers, looks factory :P

BTW: I've had the same thing happen on two toranas with HQ drums so I'd say it's fairly common.

EDIT: Added arrows for clarity :)

Attached File  handbrake.jpg   153.89K   8 downloads

Edited by LS1 Taxi, 30 June 2014 - 03:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users