super charger info

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

hello ive been reading a bit about supercharging stock 308s using a weiand low mount super charger. now from what i understand a stock 308 runs about 9 to 1 compression ratio, or less and can handle about 5 - 6 psi. my motor is a 308 stroked and bored to about 334, im running flat top pistons with zero deck height, and im lead to believe they are hyperuectic federal moguls, but i dont know for sure so for reliability ill assume they arent. i know that ill have to change my cam to one with less lobe seperation and i would have to get my carby rebuilt so it doesnt lean off at high rpm and melt pistons. now i reckon that i would have to have at least 9.5 to 1 compression ratio and if i presume the pistons are stock 350 chev castys i should get away with about 4 -5 psi before i start hurting my engine, is there any thing im over looking? im after advice from people who have done this and can fill in the gaps in my theory
thanks adam

#2 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

5-6 psi will be fine on good 98 fuel, it will need a different advance curve to suit also. if you want more boost then you'll need to lower the comp or go to a higher octane fuel.

#3 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

thanks 1quicklj, i was guessing i would probably have to run it purely on avgas are there any other problems i would have and what would be my expected increase in power?
thanks

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

A 9.0:1 comp ratio should be able to take 9 psi...injection may help.

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

5-6psi should give around a 80-100 hp increase no probs. just make sure you have a good fuel system also, a blown motor is just as reliable as n/a motor as long as it never leans or detonates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users