#652 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

expressions of interest has come out for 2018 easter bathurst meeting , i'm thinking twice at having another crack. last two have been expensive but nothing beats that track and the people. .

You know yer gunna do it.

#653 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

maybe knock it back a bit Grant,....drrop back to regularity.......come to the Challenge with me and Steve?...

Team GMH-MLC..(.mid life crisis)

#654 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

I could bring this to the bathurst challenge . I'll up load the other car soon. F#$#un up load will not work 

As usual with this car it's always finding stuff and fixing, we are working on the bodgy floor pan install and also the extra cut out of the trans tunnel.

fixed the sill where i put the jack through it. We are also looking at putting in some side intrusion bars to strengthen up the A and B pillar bars.

Edited by Agent 34, 21 June 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#655 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

we have paint - black tomorrow 

1 more mill 

#656 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

No photos - but back home - unfortunately pricey to fix - but half the car looks new.

must not smash again.

onto mechanicals now.

aiming for muscle car masters - for the full torana race  only similar to the mini race last year.

The https://www.htcansw.org.au/ is inviting all toranas for dedicated race only 

g

#657 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

So Grant where are we with your car?

Mine is sitting in the shed. with not a great deal happening.

hHad the rear wheels machined to increase the back space so that they dont rub on inside of rear guards. Hope to get some newer tyres for them but until I have a hip repelacement and know how that is going not much at all is getting done.

just going to work is difficult enough without all the hassles of working on a race car.

Edited by piquet, 17 August 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#658 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

This followed me home from Victoria, sorry tried to upload a picture of the new car but don't seem to be able to . so not sure what is happening there .

Anyway back to the Rocket, Not much Peter , i has to go upto suspension concepts in Wyong - AKA Dodgey on this forum has a work shop .

rather than put all together and then send up i have decided to just tow it up there with all the parts and get them to do it and when i comes back it will be all good.

however i need to resolve this issue of either the axle is bent or the wheel is F@#%ed - hoping it's the wheel .

Just really waiting for the kids footy to stop so that i can get a full day on the car.

But will be entering the muscle car masters as the first hit back . 

bummer about the hip !

Edited by Agent 34, 18 August 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#659 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

The photo didnt come through. I know of that other thing.

More interested in Rocket. Its a much moe interesting toy. or are you going to sell it of?f.

#660 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

This followed me home from Victoria, sorry tried to upload a picture of the new car but don't seem to be able to . so not sure what is happening there .

Anyway back to the Rocket, Not much Peter , i has to go upto suspension concepts in Wyong - AKA Dodgey on this forum has a work shop .

rather than put all together and then send up i have decided to just tow it up there with all the parts and get them to do it and when i comes back it will be all good.

however i need to resolve this issue of either the axle is bent or the wheel is F@#%ed - hoping it's the wheel .

Just really waiting for the kids footy to stop so that i can get a full day on the car.

But will be entering the muscle car masters as the first hit back . 

bummer about the hip !

Attached Files

#661 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

More interested in Rocket. Its a much moe interesting toy. or are you going to sell it of?f.

no not selling rocket, just a hicup in my racing career LOL ,  they are such a great little car to punt around and now it's reliable and well sorted will just tidy it up . but the crash did make things a bit more expensive this year and didn't bank on that when i committed to buy the other car. 

#662 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

The other gadget's not bad either Pete ...

#663 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

I've got a bonnet just like that if you'd like to buy it?

#664 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

It looks great the new jigger. of course its well built. victorian built no cutting corners!

With the hip, I tried to convince the GP that it was possibly "late onset Oestitis Pubis" (which is a football injury that  elite footballers get).  thought he was going to die of laughter when I said it. Eventually all he could say was don't be a fkn idiot. Wrote out a referral to an ortho and for an Xray.

Xray confirmed moderatly severe arthritis in left hip , so I am oficailly old.

Edited by piquet, 19 August 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#665 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

With the hip, I tried to convince the GP that it was possibly "late onset Oestitis Pubis" (which is a football injury that  elite footballers get).  thought he was going to die of laughter when I said it. Eventually all he could say was don't be a fkn idiot. Wrote out a referral to an ortho and for an Xray.

Xray confirmed moderatly severe arthritis in left hip , so I am oficailly old.

Pete - even torana's need a new ball joint - make sure you get the surgen to  use the MOOG ones.  PS i have a friend who undertakes assessment of the actual ball joint and if you want i can put you in touch with Mark and at least he can give an un bias review of the actual replacment part. I'm not joking either on this . 

I've got a bonnet just like that if you'd like to buy it?

MMM rob, I hear there is a midnight express run comming up from victoria , aparently SANTA is comming early this year to a young Wayne 2 ELCS, Wayne send off his letter early this year to Santa and requested some parts for the Green Machine #3 " AKA the Roo Shooter " .

Santa and his helpers have raided the royal reserves of torana parts. 

Big thanks rob for the effort with the bonnet and the door, please PM me some bank details and i will sling some fuel money for your efforts , it's the least i can do.

G

Edited by Agent 34, 19 August 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#666 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Update # F nose

5 steps back - 1 mm forward - the diff housing is bent. Which also means the axle and backing plate is FuCed 

The front end has been resolved,

lesson # 80988098 of the race car handbook . quote " AHHH im surprised that they never put a tac weld on the upper control arm bushes to stop the arm walking off the bush " 

I said " Fu#ken news to me " but makes sense now.

split the diff and off to Bosnjaks engineering for straightening next week then back in the car .

Me, Dodgey and Col at torana fest discussed  ( although Col has had no blow ups and until he does hes not able to contribute to the new book)  writing a new book similar to " strike me pink " but will rename the new book 

" the hard lessons of torana racing" 

but it will be full of : "what not to do":and as any racing torana person will attest will be a better book than the first addition " strike me pink and the friv antionio book.

fingers crossed Col for challange bathurst - watch that long straight LOL and remember they go unreal just before they go bang !!! 

once im on that grid at muscle car masters, this will all be a mere memory and one I will suppress as the flag drops ,

G

Edited by Agent 34, 23 September 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#667 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

Update # F nose

5 steps back - 1 mm forward - the diff housing is bent. Which also means the axle and backing plate is FuCed 

The front end has been resolved,

lesson # 80988098 of the race car handbook . quote " AHHH im surprised that they never put a tac weld on the upper control arm bushes to stop the arm walking off the bush " 

I said " Fu#ken news to me " but makes sense now.

split the diff and off to Bosnjaks engineering for straightening next week then back in the car .

Me, Dodgey and Col ( although Col has had no blow ups and until he does hes not able to contribute to the new book) are writing a new book similar to " strike me pink " but will rename the new book 

" the hard lessons of torana racing" 

but it will be full of : "what not to do":and as any racing torana person will attest will be a better book than the first addition " strike me pink and the friv antionio book.

fingers crossed Col for challange bathurst - watch that long straight LOL and remember they go unreal just before they go bang !!! 

once im on that grid at muscle car masters, this will all be a mere memory and one I will suppress as the flag drops ,

G

Edited by 2ELCS, 23 September 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#668 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Amen to going hard before they go bang.

Been there done that   a week before CAMS observed practice... :angry:

#669 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

Amen to going hard before they go bang.

Been there done that   a week before CAMS observed practice... :angry:

Wayne

I'll put you down to contribute a chapter to " The hard lessons of Torana racing".

#670 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Ha ha...I hope to only contribute 1 page Grant.! ( when the car only comes out once a year..thats all Ive got!).
I re read that Pink book again the other day. Good read..reckon you could do a reprint with extras and nail it.

Edited by RallyRed, 24 September 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#671 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

There's a whole section by Snarley John on engine building - Im sure he would be in for a small part of  some retarded History that is worth and update

FFS- where all sick of the matching No's argument and the dual thingy  what's it's called , you don't have the correct battery clamp or battery ?

I was at T fest last week and there was no 2 torana's the same - lets keep it this way  fellas - they have been bastardised of 40 years, some for racing, some for street racing, some for personal, some for period preservation.. If you have one then your lucky in a retarded sort of way .  

Col - no good reading" strike me pink "  you need to be " blowing up "  to truly feel the pain and then only can you find GOD. 

the torana swamy " AKA the Deli Lama " say's so, torana enlightenment is only the experiences of  failure through the pursuit of greatness In your own lunchbox!

• Steve has found GOD  a few times this year and is very frustrated with the encounter, dust yourself off and get back on that horse old chap !!
  • Wayne found GOD at the CAMS observed practice, I'm sure he's had a few talks in between with other issues - OR maybe it was the orbust to Bonag road trip with the LH 
  • I found god on the finish line at bathurst and then again at the just before the dipper -may be next year it's my year to finish and put the car on the trailer
  • I lie there was a small corner in the mountains between orbost and bonang  as cheeh and chong said " i found god " . a big blue gum a 3.5m wide road and i just hoped that it turned in !

to russell thorpe - thanks it's turned in and if you ever read this pissy post you set up a great car.

I really think that were onto something here

Pete - i spoke to my mate that does the research on Knees and Hip joints and if you needs his details send me a text. I need a knee in the next 10 years and he was at the panel beating course i did at North Sydney TAFE, He did a deloran with a LS! inside it 

Edited by Agent 34, 24 September 2017 - 06:53 PM.

#672 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Speaking of blowing up and crashing to feel the real pain, Diff is now at Dave Bosnjaks and needs some serious attention. 

given it's a bit bent needs a pressure test for cracks, clean , straighten

will be tweeking the camber and toe on diff a bit and then re assembly.

Very knowledgable person to chat to and way above my knowledge of car handling, I changed so many things on that car in such a short time it's been hard to quantify the changes or trace what impact the changes really had.

all i know was it's getting faster and on quiet reflection of this whole crash issue i have formed the view that it was rubber marbles and i was off line that caused the front end to loose braking traction.

moral to the story - stay on the racing line across the mountain and don't drift wide in the braking areas which i did. 

G

#673 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

moral to the story - stay on the racing line across the mountain and don't drift wide in the braking areas which i did. 

G

...noted.

if that Rocket doesnt kill you Grant...it will make you stronger!

#674 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

To quote Grant .

I have had a few conversations with the Big fella up there.

The last time was on that Orbost to Bonang trip in the Marlboro taxi   Quodo's to Russel Thorpe [ bloody good car]...

It wasn't because of that large tree    more due to fact that the front brake caliper mounting bolt hung in there till we got into the village and didn't throw itself into the jungle.

Was definatly a memorably trip   Thanks Grant...

Maybe i should write a  few down for Steves book.  Wonder some times how i survived ?

#675 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Front end had the replacement/ alignment ( hip operation) done on 15 September. The operation went OK but Boy the pain afterwards was over the top./

Home 4 days after the op and a bit incapacitated with mobility.

but we are getting there pain a little bit less each day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users