Ben's HR project

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 _188ben_

_188ben_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hey everyone so my name is ben and I've decided to restore a 66 HR special sedan with an original disc brake front end and power glide. I'm going for a mostly original look with a few more modern cool bits. A bit about the car, I was at work one day when a guy I know, who owns a towing company who is also a bit of a car nut mostly into hg hk ht Monaro's with a few other projects on the go, came in and we got talking as usual and he said he had a HR sitting in the yard. He said he just got it at a good price and just wanted to sell it on to make some money. he said it was sitting in a farmers shed and it belonged to the farmers son who started to strip it to restore it 8 years ago but then moved to Perth for work and the farmer wanted to sell the farm and retire so the car had to go. I paid $1200 for it and knowing the guy I bought it off he would of only paid around $500-$600 for it. even though the majority of it was pulled apart all the parts were still there so I've just started by finishing the dismantling and buying replacement rust panels to start body work but I've also been working on just getting the engine running properly. It had a 202 in it when I got it and I got it running after putting an old carby on it I found at a wrecker. it ran but was just running rough I'm guessing because of the old carby I got for it and there was a bit of tappet noise but no major knocks or noises. I want to go back to a 186 to keep it semi original but I just wanted to use this engine because its a runner until I get it on the road. My dad had an original old x2 manifold and carbs and genie extractors in good nick and I thought why not use them and throw a lumpy cam in while I'm at it, I figured I could always transfer them over to the 186 when I get to it. the cam is a 34/76 so it should lump pretty well. I got lots of plans for it but ill try and post some picks as I go for you all to look at. Another guy I know said he had some 13" dragway indy's he bought for his eh but hes changed to commodore stud pattern due to the diff he is running because he didn't think an old banjo would hand a turbo 202 running 10sec quarters. so I got the wheels for $500 which I thought was alright.

Attached Files

• Attached File  HR.jpg   103.44K   1 downloads

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Great Start to your Project Ben,

Disc brake front ends, was a good mod, and I had a HR X2 once, and is a cool thing with the Gold twin carb air-cleaner.

The Cam should do you well and what ever else you have in mind, good job and we will be watching.

Edited by GASPOWER, 13 July 2014 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users