58mm webers, who knows about them?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hi, just wondering does any body know about the 58mm weber setups used on the 72/73 XU1 cars? Was there may sets made to run on these cars and if anybody knows what cars had them, could they list them?

I have just purchased a set on a hand made manifold. They have the blank offs on one side and are off set to only run one of the chokes/throats side of the carbies.
They were suppose to be from a privateers car that ran at Bathurst. One of the carbies was damaged and went missing during repairs. So they brought a NOS one to replace it, and also got an extra one just in case.

Does anybody have any photos of engine bays with these carbies fitted to an XU1?

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers

Steve

#2 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:00 AM

Steve,

l cannot help with your qiuestions but congrats on the purchase, l remember readingsomewhere that these things are worth a fortune. Well done :spoton:

Edited by Mondie, 15 July 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

I know they are rare as rocking horse shit these days. HDT ran them on Brocks car at Bathurst 73 and Bob Morris ran them on his XU1 as well, not sure who else ran them. The latest Unique Cars has an article on the Paul Tate (ex Brock 73 car) which should give you a pic. I think I have some I took of the car during resto and after it was finished, plus the Bowden website should show the Bob Morris car.

#4 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

engine bay pic

engine bay brock xu1

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

Brocks ones came off a Brabham F1 car or something didnt they?

#6 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

Jeeeesus!!!! They must have had to use a shoehorn to get the 186 in there!!!

#7 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

i think (not sure) but in the historic racing series the xu1's had these.

#8 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

why do they block 1 side off?, so would having 48mm with both going be bigger..

im unsure so if anyone no's that would be good..

Never seen them like that where they block half off... interesting !!

#9 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Boomfunk,

They have to block one side off to meet group C rules of the day which stated the carbs could be changed but the replacements had to have the same number of venturis as the originals.

Cheers

#10 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi, are these things that rare. So what price do you put on these if you had to replace them?

Cheers

Steve

#11 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

Red will be able to correct me, and l am not 100% sure they were the same type as these, but l thought a set changed hands last year for in excess of $30k.

#12 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

Oh, they could not be worth that?????????????? As I said there are two brand new ones and two used ones. Well if you could say used, there are no wear on the throttle balls, the carbys are super clean underneath as if they have not been used. I also have the bits to return the other side back to original twin throats. Also have some real nice alloy rams that are a little shorter than whats on there.
Red, could you give me some idea on what they are worth as they will be going on my 72 Bathurst after the engine rebuild. I might have to increase the insurance cover on the old girl.

I will try and post a photo when I work it out.

cheers

Steve

#13 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

If they are the early sand cast type of 58mm like the ones off brocks car they are
worth a small fortune---- or rather a large one !!!!

#14 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hi again, YES they are the original sandcast 58mm webers like the ones on brocks XU1. They dont have the fancy factory backed/paid for inlet manifold, but have a alloy hand made one.

I would say they have done non to very little use as they have been sitting in a guys shed collecting dust for many years.

Someone must know a real price on these?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by wals186s, 15 July 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

I seam to remember the Bowden family paying a very large sum of money for the 4 58mm Webers on the Norm Beachy Monaro. I could be wrong, but I think it was up around $30,000. Chris would be able to tell you, he comes on for a look every now and then.

Edited by REDA9X, 15 July 2006 - 06:34 PM.

#16 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hi Red, I do believe that they are the sand cast ones. They have a finish on the outside as if they have been cast in sand. I have had a little to do with getting stuff cast in the past.

They have a small plate on the top with;

FABBRICA ITAILIANA CARBURATION
WEBER
BOLOGNA (ITALIA)
TIPO 58DCOE3 No ????

As stated two of them are brand new old stock and the other two are bloody near new as well. I did not think that they could be used on a V8 (on a cross flow/over) inlet manifold.

Again I still cannot believe that they would cost that amount of money?

I have sent an email to the Bowden family, but NO response.

Cheers

Steve

#17 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

wow !!, so much info so little do i no !!

#18 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hi Again, thanks to the people that have emailed with the info. Until I posted this email, I new very little other than that Brock ran webers on his XU1. This is only interesting as I own a genuine 72 Bath XU1 and I'm still learing every day something interesting about my car.

Most of the info came from the guy that had them and what is written on the carbys, so if you dont have any thing positive to say, then dont bother!!!!!!!!!

#19 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:07 PM

Like this???
Posted Image

#20 _wals186s_

_wals186s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hi MRNOS, YES like this. They seem to have a longer inlet runner from the carby to the original XU1 manifold. I just looked at an old JUST CARS with a picture of brocks car and it seems to be a very similar setup as that. I didnt realise that they bolted to the original XU1 inlet manifold. Thought they bolted straight to the head.

Thanks and cheers

Steve

#21 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

Yeah not sure if these are the same size as your's but thought it might make a handy pic!

#22 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

hay mrnos where did that pic come from lol

#23 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

:rolleyes: Oh some helpful person on this site put up that fantastic pic that I borrowed :spoton:

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

http://www.bowdensow...hodgsonxu1.html
SOME INFO ON THE mORRIS xu1, ONE OF THE MOST ORIGINAL ONES AROUND.

#25 _gmp&a_

_gmp&a_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

I have sent an email to the Bowden family, but NO response.

Cheers

Steve

Well if you email an office on a friday afternoon, I'm not too sure what you expect? :huh:

Well done on your purchase, it sounds as though you got them at a good rate?! If you wish to sell the carbs please E me again on chris<@>bowdensown.com.au We need some 58's for the Beechey Chev Nova.

Edit: remove the <> from the email address. Saving you some junk mail Chris. Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users