_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Blastered ? Lol..

#27 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

In my line of work, it doesn't make any real difference other than the common areas for certain cars to rust. I've restored XY GTs, a heap of LC-LJ & LH-LX Toranas, a heap of early Commodores & the list goes on. One of the more challenging jobs was an Aussie built Pontiac Parrisiene. Standing on it's end, the front mud guard alone was over seven foot long, so getting that car straight was tricky.

#28 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

22k to spend on a 4 door LJ is a bit of overkill IMO.....
Unless it has sentimental value.

#29 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

blastered = sandblastered skap

22k is overkill on any car depending on who you ask, but you only live once.

#30 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

22k to spend on a 4 door LJ is a bit of overkill IMO.....
Unless it has sentimental value.

Tend to agree with you there but each to there own

#31 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

with the risk of argueing with you ice.

Why do people do up old cars? Because they appreciate them, not for resale value. If i wanted to do that i would go out and buy a monaro.

So take your gtr/xu1 goggles off and look at it from a different perspective.

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

with the risk of argueing with you ice.
Why do people do up old cars? Because they appreciate them, not for resale value. If i wanted to do that i would go out and buy a monaro.
So take your gtr/xu1 goggles off and look at it from a different perspective.

Calm the farm Hamo if you want to spend that money on your car good for you
im just saying i wouldnt do it
you young blokes are so touchy

#33 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Fair call I apologise for my comment. Just you see so many nice done up 4 doors for less than that figure.

#34 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Horses for courses. I've had people tell me my cars would be worth more if I restored them as A9X or L34 tributes, or hot rodded the shit out of them. They are probably right, but I like my cars plain & simple without bling or plastic bolt on stuff, so I restore them to how I like them for my own personal satisfaction, not for resale value or to win points & trophies at car shows.

#35 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

You could buy a nice car for that price maybe even a lj Lc gtr needing a resto would be better off starting with something like that. There's a two door on ebay that has all the rust and body work and paint done $9k. I think 22k is very expensive for panel and paint but I guess like you said yours is abit rustier than average

Edited by MRGMH, 10 August 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#36 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Calm the farm Hamo if you want to spend that money on your car good for you
im just saying i wouldnt do it
you young blokes are so touchy

I didn't get angry i was just trying to get you to see where im comming from when gtr/xu1 owners always seem to think the same as you thats all.

And at the risk of making people go nuts, i prefer the look of the 4 door, hence why i bought a 4 door.

each to their own.

#37 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

I didn't get angry i was just trying to get you to see where im comming from when gtr/xu1 owners always seem to think the same as you thats all.

And at the risk of making people go nuts, i prefer the look of the 4 door, hence why i bought a 4 door.

each to their own.

As long as you can convince yourself that is all that matters.

#38 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

All good Hamo peace brother

#39 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Wow, this went south fairly quickly :o

#40 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Its all good Daz

#41 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Just to put in to some perspective, my car is rusty as shit, I'm not a professional.  I did OK repairs which I intend to redo some of them, now bear in mind not quite finished, still took over 300 hours. 22K for extensive work isn't too bad.  However if you were doing the work yourself then no problems, however and this is my own opinion if I decided to quote it out, and it came to that, and I can buy a relatively straight Torana for 6K, I would probably either throw it to the tip or store it for a resto later on, and spend a few K on a straight one which needs less work.  Bear in mind, my Torana was bought for me at 14 by my Grandfather, so some sentimental value attached, but at the end of the day, it's a car.

#42 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Well said Liam. Even doing all the labour myself including priming/edging out, on average it costs me around $5-7K just in consumable materials & paint products to restore a LH Torana for myself. Yes there are some well priced Toranas around, but how do you know what quality of work has been put into them? A shiny coat of paint, new trim & new chrome bumpers can be deceiving & can be hiding badly done repairs & bog & even though the vendor may state it is completely rust free. This isn't always the case, but with the popularity of these cars, there will always be others who'll try to make a dollar out of selling a tarted up rust bucket. I've seen first hand cars that appeared to only need a quick rub & paint come back from the media blasters borderline throw away. And if you restore the car yourself, there is also the satisfaction & pride that comes with it once the jobs done.

#43 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well said Liam. Even doing all the labour myself including priming/edging out, on average it costs me around $5-7K just in consumable materials & paint products to restore a LH Torana for myself. Yes there are some well priced Toranas around, but how do you know what quality of work has been put into them? A shiny coat of paint, new trim & new chrome bumpers can be deceiving & can be hiding badly done repairs & bog & even though the vendor may state it is completely rust free. This isn't always the case, but with the popularity of these cars, there will always be others who'll try to make a dollar out of selling a tarted up rust bucket. I've seen first hand cars that appeared to only need a quick rub & paint come back from the media blasters borderline throw away. And if you restore the car yourself, there is also the satisfaction & pride that comes with it once the jobs done.

Very true. Don't get me wrong, in the scheme of things, you can buy a car for 2K spend 30K to get it ready for a 30K paintjob so all in all its a 62K car which will be straight and gorgous cosmetically, but end up cost 100K for the driveline etc as well, or you can buy a 35K "restored" car and find in 2 years the paint is bubbling and cracking from bad work and you have to do it anyway etc etc.  It's only what you deem is acceptable IMO.

Thread jack (sorry Hamo) hows business going for you Matt?

#44 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

You could buy a nice car for that price maybe even a lj Lc gtr needing a resto would be better off starting with something like that. There's a two door on ebay that has all the rust and body work and paint done $9k. I think 22k is very expensive for panel and paint but I guess like you said yours is abit rustier than average

Ide look twice at that car on ebay..see my post  page 2..

http://www.gmh-toran...j-2-door/page-2

#45 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like Matts looking to go solo Hamo. Maybe give him a PM or two.... ;)

#46 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hey Mike nothing beets experience! Good spotting.

What about this one Hamster? Genuine GTR item number 141366246818 on ebay

It's as much as your getting quoted to fix your 4 door. Maybe do the 4 door yourself at your own pace and learn on it give it a go yourself and spend the 22k on that LJ.

I know what you mean sometimes it doesn't matter what it is you get attached to it. I've got a car like that everyone tells me to stop spending money on but I still spend on it haha.

#47 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Guys, 

Hamo started this thread asking for opinions/recommendations on panel beaters around his area. Pretty specific. He's decided to paint his car, good on him. 

Stay on topic?

The panel beater costs vs. buy a finished car / 4 door vs. 2 door arguments seems to go on and on in every thread......

#48 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I believe the word you are after is "blasted"

Edited by Skapinad, 11 August 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#49 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

no way skap

blastered, have another beer and you will understand

-thanks sledge

Edited by Hamster, 11 August 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#50 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Lol, ok ;)

Now take it to Mikes and close the thread !....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users