Proving history without log books?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 _Speedy_

_Speedy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

update - received a letter a week ago (3 pages) to tell me they had received my form and would have a reply by the 19th Sept

today - received an express post envelope from rms (got all excited) only to read that it will take a further 10 days due to the fact that the questions relate to a third party and have to go through another department.

I am after the cars history which involves where it was originally sold, original number plates, if it has ever been out of rego etc. I have not asked for the previous owners history!

typical of a government department to just pass it onto someone else to deal with.

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

I am after the cars history which involves where it was originally sold, original number plates, if it has ever been out of rego etc. I have not asked for the previous owners history!

I hate to break the news to you, but for a car to be purchased there has to be a purchaser, that would be a previous owners history.

#28 _Speedy_

_Speedy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

That is true, just annoyed that I've got 2 letters from them and still no closer to the answers.

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hang in there and be persistent, it is so easy to give into bureaucracy, we only ever get the changes we need by motivated people.

#30 _Speedy_

_Speedy_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

This is for anyone interested in the outcome of the request for information through the RMS

So I got my response letter today. 

My questions were : date first registered, place of sale (dealer), has it ever been out of rego. Also if they could clarify if the car was transferred within the family (as the owners said they bought it new but showed up as transferred specifically stating I didn't want details just a yes or no from what they could see)

The response. 

Information relating to the vehicle regarding date first registered, original number plate, place of sale was NOT located. Therefore decided that this information is not held by the agency. 

Information relating to the previous operators transfer is also not held by this company. 

Then 2 pages further into all the democratic nonsense this

DRIVES indicates that the vehicle was first registered on the 01-01-1972 to MR ********. In addition our records indicate it was transferred between MR & MRS ******** on the 09-02-1993

All records prior to 1988/89 are not able to be verified as the original documents and microfilms have been destroyed and no longer exist as a result inaccuracies in the exact dates my be present. 

The vehicle history check does state that the car was first registered in Feb 1972. And according to the RTA when I asked at the desk yes it's still the same plates, never been replaced, and never been out of rego. So it seems their computers don't talk to each other. So I guess I'm as close as I'm going to be without the log books. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users