Re-drilling Bellhousing for Turbo Pattern - anyone done it?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hey all. I got this setup from a fellow member & I'm finally moving along with the project but have come across this problem.

The Dellow bellhousing is for a trimatic block (which I knew at the time) but I want to bolt this up to a turbo block. When I picked this up I thought it was just a case of drilling the top two holes in the lower position (done that), but it's a bit more complicated than that with the dowel sizes bigger & lower 4 holes wider by about 10mm centre to centre.

Has anyone re-drilled their bellhousing? Is the dowel centre to centre & location the same with both blocks except the size? (I get a 3mm difference centre to centre when I measure it but it was awkward so I could be wrong)

I have emailed Dellow to ask for a price for them to do it, but I have a feeling that postage is going to be the killer for me from over here.

If the recommendation is to only get them to do it becasue of alignment issues I'll definately go down that road as it'll be cheaper & quicker than sourcing the proper bellhousing, but I'm keen to hear if anyone has done this themselves & how it went?

Cheers,

Jase

20140906_152943.jpg

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

It is a bit hard to redrill as 4 of the 6 holes overlap. You could do it yourself IF you can get the dowel holes in the right spot, then do what CRS does and slot the bottom four holes. Otherwise get CRS or Dellow to do it for you.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Shouldn't have to send it to Aus, any engineer with a clue should be able to sort it. As yel327 says the dowel holes are the important part, they locate it correctly.

#4 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Cool, thanks for the feed back  B)

An engineer with a clue might be tricky where I live - think I'll give Papakura Engine Reconditioners a call as they do a lot of different stuff & I'm in that way this week. Don't think I'll try it myself.

Cheers   :spoton:

#5 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Tried the crowd I mentioned above... "no, sorry, we wouldn't do that because the holes aren't in the same place & it would mean slotting them. Sorry. Try Conversion Components as he does bellhousings & he can sort you out"

So call them, really nice guy in his 70's & passionate about what he does - $980+GST for the bellhousing & he'll take mine as a trade in to on-sell which would knock maybe $400 off the price. Still near on $600 though.

Think I might call in to the local engineering workshop here & see if they can re-drill it. I don't think I'll have any luck finding anyone though as no one wants to take on the responsibility - haven't even heard back from Dellow so they obviously don't wanna do it either lol.

#6 _jason0allisonm_

_jason0allisonm_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

u could try and find a different bellhousing????? what gearbox u using????  I have a chev/turbo pattern bellhousing here to suit a supra conversion. I,m in tas. I could tape it to an inflated inner tube an float it over?

#7 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Haha, sounds good to me! What you have is what I'm after mate. How much did you want for it?

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Tried the crowd I mentioned above... "no, sorry, we wouldn't do that because the holes aren't in the same place & it would mean slotting them. Sorry. Try Conversion Components as he does bellhousings & he can sort you out"

So call them, really nice guy in his 70's & passionate about what he does - $980+GST for the bellhousing & he'll take mine as a trade in to on-sell which would knock maybe $400 off the price. Still near on $600 though.

Think I might call in to the local engineering workshop here & see if they can re-drill it. I don't think I'll have any luck finding anyone though as no one wants to take on the responsibility - haven't even heard back from Dellow so they obviously don't wanna do it either lol.

Holy sweet mother of god what a price!
The very expensive but ever reliable Harrop engineering here in Melbourne charged me just over $400 to weld up, redrill holes and supply/insert correct dowels into a fully assembled 308.
I have an example of a dual pattern trimatic/turbo bellhousing for a supra to 308 conversion that I will photo when I get a chance. It was done by CRS. I don't remember it being very expensive at all to get the second set of holes done. It has done many years of uneventfully duty since.

#9 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

That'd be good to see thanks mate. I did see the CRS one's on ebay that had the dual pattern drilled so I'm guessing  its the same as that.

I've found a crowd that can re-drill it for me but he's not sure on the cost as he'l  need to track down the templates to do it. He didn't think it'd be too expensive though because they make steel bellhousings as well & they sell for $460 so that'll be the road I go down I think.

What I'd like to get is a template, so do you think it'd be much trouble to trace one out from your dual pattern bellhousing & maybe scan & email it with a ruler on it? If it's too much hassle that's all good mate  :D

#10 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

It looks like this. If/when I get a chance I will try to measure. Not likely to be terribly accurate I suspect!

Attached Files

#11 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

That's what I want!! haha..thanks for the pic mate. Completely understand the difficulty in getting anything accurate, so no worries there.. by the way, if you wanna just put all that stuff in a box & send it my way I really wouldn't mind...I'm needing a clutch pedal & ready made hydraulic setup hehe..  :P  (in all seriousness, I think I might put up a want ad for a clutch pedal though)

I came across this template for the turbo (chev) bolt pattern

bellhousingproject12.jpg

From this very informative read:

http://grannys.tripod.com/20102b.html

I'll give this to the guy that says he can re-drill it for me so he should get it bang on I hope. Didn't manage to come across a trimatic template though which would help setting out.

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

If Rexy can measure the difference in dowel hole positions accurately (just the shift from one to another with a decent set of calipers), that will give you the reference. Looks like they are equally spaced as per your original question.

It sucks that such a simple task has to turn into a big expensive drama... :(

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

Or track down one of those useless manual-TH pattern adapters. It will have all holes in it and will bolt to the block so you can locate where to drill the dowel holes. Will even have dowels in it you can use on the block.. Then just slot the bottom four holes and all done.  

#14 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

^^ Now there's a good idea...wish I knew where to find one...Might see if I can track one down to use. Anyone in NZ got one I can borrow??

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

This mob sell them cheap in Australia, surely they can't stuff the hole locations up! Hopefully you can simply borrow one over there.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_6950wt_1646

#16 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Good news.. tracked down someone who had an adaptor lying around so used it to accurately set out the locating dowels yesterday & it's all bolted up now.

Thanks for all the help  :spoton:

#17 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:13 PM

Just some info for anyone else with a similar issue to me - Dellow don't seem to be interested in redrilling their bellhousings, but rather sell me a new one..

Email answer from Dellow:

Hi Jason,

Sorry your email got deleted prior to answering.

Unfortunately we don't redrill our housings as they are machined to the engine pattern. A new housing would be $700 + approx. $90 freight to NZ.

Regards

Lanie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users