madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

hi guys .my ole man wants me to paint his poppy trailer its about 4o ft lol and 10ft sides.he doesnt sort of realise that

there is a bit more involved than just slapping it straight over the top.first thing comes to my mind is will have to get iso

free stuff for health reasons.its already painted in some industrial enamel with no hardener.can you paint straight over

the top the top and what grade wetndry should i use.and what psi should i set the gun at.will most likely have to buy gun and everything as he wouldnt have a clue lol and ive only half a clue haha

Maz

#2 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi maz. Im no expert painter but im thinkin that 2 pac over enamel sounds like a recipe for disaster and all round badness. Im pretty sure the only thing u can paint over enamel is ... Enamel And to have any chance of painting over it, it would have to be really really old paint. Its not the paint that reacts but the thinners. Hopefully somebody else can help you out.

#3 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

hi jake.thanks for that info.i wasnt too sure meself.was thinking 2pac was like enamel.the trailer was painted about 5 yr ago by the ol fella and he was telling me it went on streaky.he mixed the ratio like 1 to 1 1/2 thinners lol when it should of been about 10 percent .so say if i seal the last coat could i go 2pac .would it have to be 2pac primer or ?

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

I have a car here which was painted in enamel

5 or so years later it was redone in 2 pac

All proper primer etc but not blasted to metal

It peels off in sheets nowdays

A truely rubbish job

Took a few goes to try to stop it crazing and had to be redone 3 times before it looked acceptable... for a few months

Car now needs blasting to metal and start again

I wouldn't advise it.... but it is a trailer... so not expecting the same finish as a car

#5 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

thanks datto.its a 40 + grand trailer on a 200 grand prime mover western star.just got the cab sprayed for 24 grand .went over his budget and

now want me to have a go.i dont want to stuff it up.will get my arse kicked .hes a big fella .

so best choice will be to sand the enamel back with 600 ?  wet .

#6 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

monaro picture 3.jpg

#7 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

My car was painted with 2pac paint over acrylic about three years ago now ,the acrylic paint was sound,an isolator was applied and then the 2pac .I would have preferred  acrylic and would advise anyone to go this way,( acrylic over acrylic and compatible paints or back to bare metal)BUT having said all that my car shows absolutely no signs of cracking ,flaking or anything since it was done,maybe if its done right it should be ok.

#8 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

Gee maz when your talking those $$$$ i would be paint stripping it and starting again. When i said old paint i was meaning like 30 years old not 5. The biggest thing youve got to keep in mind or understand is that its not about the paint sticking to the old paint, eg what grit paper you use to rub it, its more about the chemical reactions between the 2. From what i understand when you paint something it keeps on emmitting gases or whatever so if you were to seal it up and paint over it in a nice 2 pac the gases have no where to go but between the 2 layers of paint causing it to peel off. It might look good for a while but i duno how long it would last. I dont no if youve ever cum across it or not but if you stick a sticker on something youve recently painted after a couple of days it will have air bubble in it? Which i assume is the same thing. Now like i said im not an expert on painting so dont take my word as gospel but thats just how i understand it. I would recomend goig to a paint store and asking. There may be a magical sealer that allows you to go from enamel to 2 pac. I had a etch that was supposed to allow me to go from enamel to acrylic but it didnt work at all. Still fried up and i had to blast it and start again. Nothing worse than having to do things twice. Moral of the story is do it right the first time

#9 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

No expert here either but some paints just don't get on that well with each other,some single pac epoxy enamels are pretty good these days (turps thinner).

Might pay to do a test patch to see how it goes, but the stuff takes 6 hrs to touch dry...big job by the sound of it .

#10 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys.it is a huge job .its definetly the way to go going back to metal as who knows what the ole man has done.he

just doesn't know what all the fuss is about yet he will lash out and get the truck painted . go figure. oh yeah the chassis was included in

that price. ive done a few things for him before and hes standing over me lol trying to tell me what to do .i just tell him to f@#k off.ive tried

to tell him there's no cheap way of doing a good job,he will moan and groan if it comes out shit and who's the blame haha.she's no

ordinary poppy trailer its the biggest one in the state.everyone elses they have to get in the back between loads and rake it.but this one

has a huge hydralic ram at the front that pushes the poppy's rearwards.mmm i hate doin things if i cant do it properly.he's the boss

and i reckon he will just want to go over it.if its rusty in area's i'll just tidy that up.say if the paint is okay not flaking etc what should i rub it

back with and what psi should i go 35-50 .i think the ole dinasaur gu he found is hvlp .any info on how to tackle this would be much

appreciated

Maz

#11 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

And to think i was gonna recommend rustkill with a brush !!!

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

And to think i was gonna recommend rustkill with a brush !!!

Can't afford spray cans eh! :stirpot:

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

C'mon dave, they make your fingers hurt.

Though in all honesty a mate did a bike trailer with it and i thought it was sprayed. 

#14 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

lol. more like roll it on.i did think of getting paint stripper but you can't buy it in a 44 gallon drum haha.i should just buy some por 15 and

send him the bill :deal: worse thing is that its all steel  with something like 4inch square tubing in box sections on the outside which makes it a

bit  harder.will get some pics when i go down soon and you will see what im up against.near need scaffolding to sand and paint the damn thing.

#15 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Paint it with enamel again and put a 2pac clear over it ?

#16 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

Clear will peel off. Take the enamel off, start with a fresh surface.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

Marine enamel and a roller.

#18 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hi maz, mate you can't put 2 pack clear over enamel for a start. & clear is not the b all & the end all anyway, so i wouldn't use it unless it was a metallic colour anyway & it's just not necessary. & to answer your question you can put 2 pack over enamel it's not something i would recommend but you could go 2 ways they use to sell a polyester resin kit years ago or you can use (after you have sanded it) something like etch pro single pack etch primer, then put your hi build over that & make sure that you don't rub through to the enamel & the 2 pack colour could be used over that. Might be OK on a truck trailer. They are a huge job you won't believe how much there is to paint. I painted a friend's dolly & used every bit of 4 litres of colour 2 pack orange. You can buy gravity fed spray gun kits ideal for this for around $130 nowadays mate. & the most important thing is the fan pattern & size, especially on a truck. it can be done so good luck. Gary.

#19 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hi gary.not using any clear bud as the trailer is exposed to the harsh elements and over a period of time it would start flaking off as

what happen to the bonnet and some other areas that was freshly painted 10 yr ago.

just going to rub the shine off the enamel with 400 600 or 800 .and about 35psi should do it.i dont know which one lol.all im thinking

of is getting it flat.i think the rougher i go the less shine the paint is going to have .so im thinking in the middle 600 wet.its gonna take

ages just to rub it back,wash.rub.then wash again.going to paint it out in the open as the shed just hasnt enough light,paint it ,hook it up to

the rig and put the trailer in the shed to stop the dust and crap flying about..will get about 3/4 of her in there. been using it to cart other stuff

super i think.once that jobs finished and the weather starts warming up will be able to have a crack at it.

cheers Maz

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 29 October 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#20 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:54 AM

Weather starts warming up LOL, we have been bordering heat wave...

Maybe dry rub 400-600.

#21 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

yous have been copping it terra.she snowed here a couple days ago with i reckon the last of the antartic blasts we get

back to a balmy 17 overcast windy day today so we're looking good  :blink2:

thanks  TerrA LX

#22 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

got a picture of this trailer please :)

#23 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

no not yet skap thought i had one here somewhere to show you what it looks like.my ole man is a bit of a bull rusher it wont suprise me

if he hasnt started mucking around with it and give me a bit of a kinder surprise.it wouldnt be the first time either.he has no patience that man

if he has im not going to fix his stuff ups lol.hes a little distance away from me and hard to get hold of.hes 66 and still going strong.

cheers

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

No worries Maz... Poppy's though ? Am I taking that literally ? Lol

#25 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

there's money in those poppies :)  around 1200-1400 a load.its about 400k + journey each load which goes to westbury in northern tas

they have just closed down the processing plant and will now be processed in vic.doesnt affect us though.there has been a couple of deaths

where idiots have been picking the heads of boiling them up i think and drinking it lol.and they are picking the wrong ones and which

unfortunatly leads to there death.harvest time only lasts for a month but can rake it in that short period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users