LX Lower Dash removal.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hi all,

l have obtained an excellent replacement lower dash panel for my LX (thanks Red :spoton: ) and the time has come to install it. Looks to be a real pr!ck of a job. l have searched the forum but cannot find any earlier threads on how to go about it, so to those who have, could you give me some pointers and things to watch out for?

My heater core is also buggered, l am guessing that l will need to pull most of the dash out to replace the lower dash panel so its probably a good time to replace the core too. Any tips to go about all of this would be appreciated.

Thanks Simon

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Varies on different Toranas etc. Do you have a choke?

For example, mine had what I believe was an aftermarket choke. I couldn't get it off. After squeazing a camera in there and looking at the back, i realised it had a nut on the other side (the front face was flat and shiny, unlike the standard ones. Mirror taped to the top of the firewall, tiny shifter stuck in there, ten minutes later I got one of the most fiddly bastards I've ever seen removed. And no, that will not be installed into the car again :spoton:

I'd say just get to work, when you find a problem, then ask here and you'll get a quick responce. Most of it is relatively simple; pulling off heater knobs and unscrewing screws along the bottom etc.

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

It isn�t necessary but to make the job easier I would lower the steering column (3 bolts) and loosen off the crash pad screws. Also disconnect battery, as this is required for headlight switch removal.

The dash needs to be removed. Remove the speedo cable from the back of the instruments. The instruments remain attached to the dash facia and it is very easy to break the lugs which attach it. Once you have pulled the facia and instruments away from the dash you need to release the wiring harness from the back of the instruments.

The wiper knob is the trickiest. It has a prong, which holds it on. You need to release it by pushing the end of a paperclip through the side of the slotted wiper shaft.

Handbrake knob has a small screw or allen key, which needs to be undone and then unscrew the knob.
The headlight switch has a release button under the dash. You need to pull it out fully and then push the button in to release it.

On the heater panel the black knobs are held on by screws underneath. You will see by looking at the replacement panel where the screws need to be removed from inderneathj, sides and glovebox.

Usually a good time to replace the felt around the vents. From memory the heater core is removed from the engine bay side. Access from under the heater fan shroud.

#4 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Toranavista, great response :spoton: Should save me a lot of time and broken bits and pieces.

Cheers Simon

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

Also disconnect battery, as this is required for headlight switch removal.

:huh:

As Toranavista said, the lugs that attach the fascia to the instruments are easily broken. I usually pull the dash out a few centremetres to put the wiring under a little tension, which encourages the wiring harness to seperate from the back of the instrument panel without you having to 'wobble' the male-female electrical joins etc, still have to undo the joins and fiddle around a little bit though.

How the hell do you manage to remove the vents from the main lower panels to replace the felt section. I've had the material I want to use sitting around for a year or so but I've never figured been able to seperate the rotating vents?

#6 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 _Mondie_