Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hi guys,

I have been considering trying a carb spacer on my engine to see what it does.

Firstly, my basic combo is 383 Chev, 10:1 comp, Iron Lightning heads, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap DUAL PLANE intake, 825 Mighty Demon d/p, solid cam, Tri-Y pipes.

Being a Dual-plane manifold, I've read on a lot of american forums that I am probably more suited to a "4 hole" type spacer, so the fuel doesn't get confused and still sees a true dual plane.

However other people have said an "open" spacer could work well too (MRSLR as an example said he used to run an open spacer on a dual-plane intake and saw good results).

Do you think my combo is even suited to running a spacer at all????

What about these "Super Sucker" type spacers. I keep hearing great things about them. There is a "Street Sweeper" available specifically suited to my Air-Gap dual plane.

Lastly, what about plastic type spacers? Gotta be great for reducing heat transfer/saturation of the fuel bowls etc. Are these ok for street cars that lots of km's? Should I use 2 spacers? One plastic and one aluminium?

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Past Experiences? Recommendations???

After spending hours on the american forums, I've found this to be a very interesting topic!

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

I'd use the 4-hole type spacer for even fuel distribution-1 of the CNC made 1's with the tapered sections are great, but do cost a bit, my engine builder mate has used the 4 hole spacers with great success over the open style spacer on dual plane intakes

#3 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

I've used a 2" open spacer under a holley on a stock 308 on one of my cars and got heaps more top end and it didn't really affect normal driving. It basically creates an additional ram effect.
I only notice a short delay/lapse in response when travelling and I suddenly put my foot down, but only for a fraction of a second though.
I would try 1" and 2" spacers, get both and try them, they're fairly cheap

Cheers,
Rick.

Edited by TORANR AMORE, 19 July 2006 - 12:16 PM.

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

basically Brett, the open spacer will give you more top end and the closed spacer will give you more bottom end/midrange. I want to grab a few spacers before the drag day/test n tune to see what difference they make.
I ahve just gotta find a closed spacer for a quaddy, not easy!

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Definitely worth a go mate.

I'd go with a plastic spacer ( well.. not aluminium.. ) the heat transfer saving is enormous! Ive also seen a marine-ply spacer used.. on none other than BWARND! (Before the turbos of course!).

I think the only way to know what's going to work is to give it a go. Try to borrow a few different types and then put em on and drive em! Seat of the pants dyno i reckon!

Be ware that the spacers could be warped causing air leaks.. ive heard of guys using two gaskets to stop this.

What are you trying to gain from using the spacer? More top end? Fatten up the bottom end? That will steer you toward what spacer to use too i think!
Best of luck mate
Cheers!

#6 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

they dont work on everything but ive also seen some good results too, my mates 383 chev made 26hp and 25ft lb of torque through the entire rev range using 2 plates together, a 1in 4 hole super sucker on top of a 1in open spacer on a super victor, it didnt like either spacer on its own only the 2 combined so there ya go weired indeed.

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

I have a 13mm phenolic 4 hole to go on my 383
Very similar sounding combo to yours but with alloy heads and smaller BG carb
On and no roller cam either

I bought it to stop heat soak more than gain HP
With the extra cubes you can afford to probably lose alittle down low and pic it up in the higher rev range if your comfortable seeing higher RPM numbers and want more top end.
Personally I don't want the big high end HP myself and want to keep low down grunt for street use
No drag racing for me........ oh...... maybe once or twice so I can run an 11 before Tiny (dreamin)

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

Yeah my car is still aimed at street driving too, with the aim to hit the strip a couple of times a year (call me a part-time drag racer!).

My reasons for wanting to try something Tiny is pure curiosity. I've heard various stories of people having great success (like 1QUICK LJ mentioned, huge gains throughout the rev range). Who knows what potential could be hidden just waiting to be found.

I am planning to book some dyno time in the near future, and perform a series of back to back pulls, so that's why I'm trying to go in with a battle plan of what to try.

I've heard several people now say 2 spacers have proven good (one open and one 4 hole used together).

Generally speaking, most success stories I've heard have been from people using single plane intakes, so there's a very high chance my combo may not even be suited to a spacer of any kind.

It's also quite common for people to "tune their setup" with spacers for strip work, by changing where the torque peak occurs, thus reducing/removing problems with traction (which is not a concern with my car at present anyway).

So yeah, lots of unknowns, that's why I'm just trying to get as many stories of people's own personal experiences as possible....

#9 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

Dattoman: is that a challenge!? *GRIN*

Brett: Fair call mate! I'd settle to get my car GOING again before i even think about fine tuning like this! hehehe.. Sound like your on the right track though mate! Best of luck!

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

Cheers.

I would love to see that drag race:

dattoman vs Tiny !!!!!

#11 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

I have a 13mm phenolic 4 hole to go on my 383

I bought it to stop heat soak more than gain HP

dattoman what are your thoughts on these phenolic units? Some people (and even some companies who sell them) say they are not suited for street cars that see lots of km's, but only for drag cars they run in short bursts.... As they are a plastic type product, they can actually melt.

As weird as it sounds, perhaps I should make a nice redgum wood spacer! (It's not uncommon for people to use wood)...

The 1" phenolic 4 hole does sound tempting, and it's very affordable, I'm just worried about the whole melting issue! That would not be cool!!!!!!!

#12 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

Mine hasn't melted yet! Ive got one of those plastic "like" ones on my 308 four hole thing n it hasnt' melted "yet". Ive heard the redgum wooded spacers are the
GO! A mate was meant to do me one for my six.. Still waitin!
Cheers
Stedz

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

Awesome. Do you know of anywhere that actually make them and sell them (Redgum), or is it a matter of making them yourself??

I still might play with a phenolic though...

#14 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:07 PM

I think phenolic spacers are made from bakelite which is virtually indestrctible plastic. i dont think that heat or fuel would worry them!

There is also a spacer/anti vibration made by a perth company.. i saw it in perth streetcar magazine but it cost likr $300 odd bux!
They claim some pretty interesting stuff though.. may be worth a look!

Cheers

#15 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

I think I've seen the same add in one of our local car mags too Tiny. Certainly looks impressive. It says the carby is completely isolated from the manifold (ie. no common bolt that goes the whole way).

Is vibration really an issue here though???

#16 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

Yeah thats the one i'm talking about!

Ummm I dunno really though, I was thinking the same as you about vibration! I think maybe on dirt track or race cars it may be more of a worry, but i dont think we would need to be too concerned about this even on the 1/4 mile!

Just a thought :)

#17 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

My personal experience... I was using an RPM Air Gap on my 355SBC. A 1" open spacer really woke it up. I then fitted the same manifold to a mates 383 and the spacer made absolutely no difference. I guess you will just have to try it on the dyno.

A local dyno operator has had a lot of success with those isolated spacers made by the W/Australians.

#18 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

Yes Tiny thats a challenge
When the cars finished

I bought my phenolic spacer off ebay from a CNC machining company. Nice and cheap and exactly what I was after
Yes they are made of a non melting substance

You'll have to experiment to get whats best for your engine. Not just in dyno HP but driveability too

#19 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

just be carefull of the plastic 1inch supersuckers the one my mate had melted in the middle of it and drooped so he cut it out and made it an open unit. by the way that motor runs nice and cool it has a electric water pump and ally radiator so it wasnt a high running temprature fault.

#20 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

the black super suckers are NOT for street use due to heat factors.

#21 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

its a kosteki carby plate and there is a bit more to it than just taking the vibration
out. we have one on the altered and it makes a difference in head flow. the vibration damper effect is to stop fuel getting airated in the bowls by the violence of a 5000rpm+ launch. anyone tried a stub stack on a dyno to see the difference?

#22 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

Thats them Wombat... Havent tried a stub stack sorry!

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

A local dyno operator has had a lot of success with those isolated spacers made by the W/Australians.

Struggler - can you tell us any more specific details with regard to this comment??? I am getting very interested in these spacers now....

#24 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

Struggler - can you tell us any more specific details with regard to this comment??? I am getting very interested in these spacers now....

No specifics sorry, but I noted he had a few of them and when I enquired he mentioned they where worth the $$$ on everything he had tried them on so far. The guy is very switched on and I have no reason to doubt him, if you like I will get a hold of him and get some more details.

As for the Stub Stacks.... I have found they work well if the carby is a little too big for the application. On correctly sized carbs I have seen cars gain 2 tenths by removing them. I had several and tested them fairly comprehensively, I then sold them off.

SuperSuckers.... I have also seen them go both ways, try one before you buy it.

Proform carb bodies....... I have always had a win with.

There is another product I am looking at in the States that may be beneficial to those running an aircleaner on a 4 BBL carb. I am in the process of getting one and will also test it both on the track and on the dyno.

#25 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

Here is a link to the W/Aust Spacer...... http://www.kec.com.au/

Edited by Struggler, 21 July 2006 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users