202 Blue head/red block, help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

Will a blue head go on a red block?

I know this has been asked before but I looked back 20 odd pages in here to no avail.

I was just about to put my head on my bottom end and noticed either side of the head stud between cylinders 2&3 and 4&5 (passenger side of block) there are coolant passages on the deck which dont line up with coolant passages on the head. Are these supposed to be blocked off?

My engine machinist said everything was ready to go but I'm not sure. :<_<:

#2 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Yeap holes either need to be drilled or blocked or both.
Mines a red head on a black block, unsure what they did though, would be nice to know:D
pretty sure he drilled the red head holes into the block.

I think there is a few people on here that have done it, i made a thread on the old forums.

your machinest probly already drilled the red head holes in your head. just didnt block off the blue holes.

#3 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

I rang the machinist today and explained the situation, he said it will be fine how it is. Nothing has been plugged or drilled. Do I take his word for it?

The coolant passages behind number 6, the ones between the pushrod holes and the one on the front from the water pump area to the deck are fine. He said with the ones on the intake/exhaust side that will be blocked I wont need to alter anything, just bolt the copper gasket and head down. :fool:

#4 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

So basically all the water passages down the passenger side of the block will not function and the motor will rely on the rear and drivers side coolant passages to cool everything down. Everyone at work seems to think it'll be fine also but I just want to make sure before I kill an expensive new motor.

#5 _doucmyuc_

_doucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

Im pretty sure FastehHolden will know the answer to this, if i rememberly back on the old forum he had built one of these for a turbo setup.

#6 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Sammy will be able to help here too....
Sammy's page

#7 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

for all the gorry details try here, this is my opinion on a head conversion onto a red motor and this was written from doing my current engine!

http://www.oldholden.../index.php#head

as for leaving them blocked, i wouldn't you'll end up with hot spots on one side of the head and like you say, could damage a new motor!

#8 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

I rang the engineer today and he assured me it'll be alright. Based on that I put the head on with the copper gasket + Hylomar.

I thought about it and the water flows through the head to the rear, down behind number 6 and then around the cylinders to the front of the motor again, so the water passages on the intake/exhaust side are only so the coolant can take a "shortcut" instead of doing a full pass of the head and block. Those areas will still get water flow. The coolant temp sensor plugs in above those passages so if it does get hot I'll know about it from the gauge I believe.

#9 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

yeah your right about the water flow, but you have to remember that side of the head is where all the hot air flows out of so it does get alot hotter than the other side ....

but yeah the temp sensor should give you a fair indication of temps there ... i'd put it in the forward most hole as that will be the hotest point pretty much!

#10 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

It's all done now so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Now if I could just find a sump!

#11 _lcxu1_

_lcxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

Notes I have on Blue head to red block instal,

To install this head on Holden Red type block 4 only 9mm holes on manifold side of block must be plugged and 5 ONLY 6mm water holes must be drilled in block using Blue/ Black head gasket as a template.This head requires head gaskets, intake manifold and exhaust header to suit Blue/Black engin when installing on earlier Red type engines

was from old yella terra notes,

Regars Simon

#12 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

lcxu1 is correct, the holes on the manifold side will need to be pluged as they will leak water(from personal experience) Tap the holes & fit plugs with sealant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users