Photo

What is your car like in the wet ?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#51 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

I really don't understand, i've had quite a few 70' s cars.....  why would they be any worse in the wet, than the dry in comparison to any other car....  if you can't drive without anti lock brakes, traction control, and what ever else Mercedes Benz have drempt up over the years well so be it......  but come on, you have either built drag cars that are only meant to go in a straight line, or ya sh@t at wet weather driving... :) ...........   cause lets not forget that Bathurst 72 belonged to Torana ......  because it rained .....   so ... :wtf:

#52 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

Lol, like :)

#53 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

I really don't understand, i've had quite a few 70' s cars.....  why would they be any worse in the wet, than the dry in comparison to any other car....  if you can't drive without anti lock brakes, traction control, and what ever else Mercedes Benz have drempt up over the years well so be it......  but come on, you have either built drag cars that are only meant to go in a straight line, or ya sh@t at wet weather driving... :) ...........   cause lets not forget that Bathurst 72 belonged to Torana ......  because it rained .....   so ... :wtf:

Yeah that's what I'm wondering too, I don't remember ever having trouble in mine and I used to deliver pizza so my busiest nights were when no one else wanted to go out because of the terrible weather.

Maybe it was underpowered  or I didn't drive it hard enough?

I did spin it a couple of times but one was because it had anti-anti-lock brakes at the time and the other was when I tried to get a mates attention by giving it curry round a corner and it turned further than expected lol.

#54 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,540 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

I always thought it was so it wouldn't get dirty or rust....

^^^ That's my reasoning Adam.

You can't take the Torana, it's raining and I just polished the sprintmasters :)

#55 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

The good thing about the Little Torana's,

is that we can Power out of most situations.

#56 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

Followed a Bigger vehicle around a wet road corner, and they slipped of the road into a Pole

I pulled over, and the Driver said before he ran away, I will claim Insurance.

#57 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

Fatter tyres, better suspension, IFS/IRS, better brakes, better steering feel, seats that you dont slide around on.. Its not all just ABS and traction control.

#58 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Some of the comments here have got me thinking.

There seem to be a lot of steering wheel attendants around.

#59 _Blackxu1_

_Blackxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

With 400 rwhp on 175-70-13s it's fine lol

#60 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Some of the comments here have got me thinking.
There seem to be a lot of steering wheel attendants around.

You seem surprised?

#61 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

You seem surprised?

Well yeah.

Would have thought that with the heritage of the Torana name, anyone owning one would be an enthusiast and be interested in driving at a level a bit higher than necessary to pass a driving test.

#62 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

Fatter tyres, better suspension, IFS/IRS, better brakes, better steering feel, seats that you dont slide around on.. Its not all just ABS and traction control.

I can't say that I've ever sat in a modern car that had "better steering feel" than a classic. Or better braking/handling "feel". Quite frankly I think that modern cars - especially with power steering - give you less "feel" than older ones.

#63 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

and remember when it rains you gain about 100hp :)

#64 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

I dont take it out if it's wet, if I'm out and it's wet it was very tail happy with 4.11 but with 3.55 it's not too bad now 5 litres and auto. Just the usual fog and a couple of small leaks.

#65 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

I can't say that I've ever sat in a modern car that had "better steering feel" than a classic. Or better braking/handling "feel". Quite frankly I think that modern cars - especially with power steering - give you less "feel" than older ones.

Same...........  before these (XU-1) cars were regarded as being too precious to take out in the rain, they were very much everyday cars.  My ex wife used our torana as a daily driver for a while..  which meant she had to drive it wet or dry...  I can't remember every having any drama's in the wet, and my 1/4 pain windows are screwed shut.....   but seriously, an XU-1 handles pretty damn well in the dry, if it doesn't in the wet.......................... change your tyres.  :spoton:

#66 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Best tyres I ever had were GoodYear VR Eagles, known as 'GatorBacks', factory fitted to Vetts, Camaros, Mustangs etc. They were as good in the wet as in the dry... honest! They would just hang on, and hang on, until they would move about an inch telling me that was all I was getting.

Worst tyre was Yokohama 352, the 'A' block. Feckin useless... read dangerous! Got rid of them after two weeks, and cringe whenever I see them on anything.

Current rears are brand new Hankook RA03, pretty crap in the wet, will let go in first and second in the dry.

But 235/60/14's are too expensive to keep swapping for something else.

Oh, my HJ doesn't leak or fog up!! :stirpot:

Edited by Dave6179, 14 November 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#67 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

Oh, my HJ doesn't leak or fog up!! :stirpot:

its great isnt it dave :).

#68 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yokie 509's were best i ever used,only used get about 10000k's out of a set of rears.

A big fat tire is not always the best thing in the wet...aquaplane and pull like all frok when decent water is hit on one side...at the speed limit of course.

#69 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Yep, agree, Yokohama 509's for the little Torana's ........

#70 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

must have missed it...best tires back in the LH LX days were the Dunlop SP Supersports.

please don't reply with some wank about Michelins or whatever......ha ha

#71 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

I've got kumho ku31 tyres on the Torana. Handles in the wet like it does in the dry.

I used to be precious about driving it in the rain, now, I'm lucky to drive it once in q blue moon, so I don't care if its raining.

It does make you more careful with the right foot though. First gear is useless and you have to be slow with the clutch transfer or it just pops the rear wheels and starts spinning.

#72 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

For the budget conscious running piza cutters, the Champiro 228 is not too bad,shit loads better than an "A" pattern yokie...never again.

Don't know what range they have but the 228 is 100% on the other Champiro brand...never again i said but gave them a go and they ok for what they are and  price and last pretty well.

The young bloke runs Bridgy Potenza on his WRX..they don't last long but are cheap and stick like the proverbial both wet and dry.

4 wheel drive i know but shit rubber will break loose no matter what....more power on good rubber will do same thing.

Comes down to the cruise control of right foot i guess.

#73 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Never had a problem with traction in the rain,my yokohama 760's,185x70x13,are 13 years old and still soft there on my nibless rims.

My Bridgestone Eagers,205x60x13,are 15 years old,still soft,excellent in the wet and dry,on my 6" sprintmasters.

Regards John.

#74 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

I used to luv drivin my Torrie in the wet not long long after I got it 35 years ago, I remember it raining one Friday night chuckin lappys up and down the main street of Scone. I had a mate in with me who said fang it so at the end of the main street I chucked a U turn put the boot in and started spinning the wheels then dropped it into second still spinning then into third still spinning, mind you all this was happening in the main st with a median strip one side and cars the other side all the time wrestling with LSD, had a blast. Parked up walk up the street and was greeted with rounds of thumbs up and cheers.

Cheers. 

#75 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hope you guys with the old tyres are very very careful when you go out.

Reports on old tyre failure seem to be on the rise in the media.

Would also check fine print with insurance companies etc in case you need to claim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users