Clutch pedal to hard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _hommie1973_

_hommie1973_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Was wondering is there any way of getting a nice soft clutch pedal in a Lj . Have tried hydraulic on many previous projects useing the HR type master and FC slave and this was with a raised finger 327 10 and a half inch behind a Chev. At present i am useing a cable which directly pulls the fork behind a 6 cyl and is the same as a 4 cyl where it connects to the top of the pedal. This setup works fine but is still a hard pedal. I think the best way is to get the right master cylinder and a matching slave, maybe a master with a smaller bore to increase the pressure on the slave. I do not have the room to use a rat trap set up, so it must be cable or hydraulic. If any body has a combo that may help it would be much appreciated. Regards Graham

#2 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

I put a UC cable system into an LX with a 308/supra setup and it was crazy light....felt like a Hyundai or similar. Brilliant!

I've had a hydraulic 308/aussie 4 speed combo in an LX that was the heaviest hardest to operate rubbish I've ever had the displeasure of driving.

I'm sold on a correctly setup cable system from now on.

#3 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

I have a cable in my LJ behind a 6, although it's a bit manly to use its still drivable,well the missus drives it so it can't be to bad,I used a heavy duty tonner clutch ( might be th e reason it's heavy),I made up longerr pin on the pedal where the oginal rat trap went and it works good

Edited by hutch, 07 December 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#4 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

I put a UC cable system into an LX

How does it differ from the LX setup?

I had my LX cables constantly snap on me.

s

#5 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

UC system runs a full cable from the clutch fork to the pedal...LX runs the rat trap style linkage/cable system.

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

The cure will probably lie in looking closer at your pedal ratio and the length/setup of your clutch fork. This assumes you don't have a binding problem somewhere and your cable is in good lubricated condition.

#7 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

UC system runs a full cable from the clutch fork to the pedal...LX runs the rat trap style linkage/cable system.

^ that's a 6 cyl. system

The LX is different but the cable doesn't attach straight to the fork, there's a lever & fulcrum just before the fork.

s

#8 _hommie1973_

_hommie1973_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Well thankyou for your replyiies on the clutch pedal problem much appreciated. I have seen another way on this forum that uses a master cylinder which attaches to the pedal uunder the dash and has a remote reseviour the slave cylinder goes inside the bell houseing. The master cylinder id was 11/16 which is a lot smaller than the 1 inch holden one so it will give maybe a higher pressure to the slave. Might be a bit expensive but will look into it, Thanks again for your help.. Graham

#9 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:19 AM

I have seen another way on this forum that uses a master cylinder which attaches to the pedal under the dash and has a remote reservoir the slave cylinder goes inside the bell housing.

Mal Wood sells this system, I have it on my Mustang and it works great!

Here's pics of how it was done.

http://www.gmh-toran...e-3#entry817244

s

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users