easiest 5 speed conversion 202

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _qiksix_

_qiksix_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hey guy's what's easiest 5 speed to put behind a mild turbo 202? Talking about the front clutch bellhousing area, shifters, t/shafts, cables is just part of the job got that covered.

#2 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

The easiest is the VK 5 speed but it isn't very strong.

A second hand Supra kit would be a good choice if you can find one for a reasonable price.

#3 _qiksix_

_qiksix_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yeah I threw out the vk pretty early for the same reason. Been years since I played with manuals, was thinking the same supra, t5 out of a commodore/falcon, celica, is there bolt in kits available for these things. It's for a customer so I don't want to spend to much time stuffing around. Can anyone lead me in what g/box model direction.

#4 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

Dellow do (or did) kits for the supra conversion - as to how good they are I dont know. I emailed them several years ago asking about it, they could supply bellhousing/crossmember. Shortly thereafter I bought a house and have been skint ever since, so I never went ahead with it.

Running a VK 5 speed behind a stock 202 blue on LPG at present. Since Im not generating any serious power (sigh) its ok.

#5 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

My first 5 speed, in '86, was the W50 Celica, fresh from Japland. Lasted two years before needing bearings. Then lasted 2 and a half years after costing $625. I then traded it on a W58 Supra that was in for 11 years, I swapped it for another, to check its condition, and it's still in there. Oh, I've had the car since '85 so has had some miles put on it although always serviced.

#6 _qiksix_

_qiksix_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks guys, I was thinking the supra box never did like celica boxes much.

Dave is any mods needed to be done to fit the supra box or do I buy a kit like Steve TPF said.

#7 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

My box came with a modified Holden bellhousing and crossmember. I already had the driveshaft. Holden pressure plate and release bearing, Toyota Dyna clutch plate... no 'conversion plate' at a stupid price, and I cut the hole in the floor after careful measuring. And hooked up the reversing light switch too. Great conversion!

Edited by Dave6179, 24 December 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#8 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks guys, I was thinking the supra box never did like celica boxes much.

Dave is any mods needed to be done to fit the supra box or do I buy a kit like Steve TPF said.

I believe the mods needed are: bellhousing, crossmember, clutch kit to suit and clutch cable - plus driveshaft of course. It's worth looking on Ebay as the bellhousings (or complete conversions) come up from time to time. Even a second-hand bellhousing should save you a fair few $. But Dave6179^^^ sounds like he did well. Bellhousing is the big issue - crossmember you could probably modify yourself if you're so inclined.

#9 _qiksix_

_qiksix_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks guys, I can handle all fab/mod work no probs, i'll chase down a bellhousing. It's more the spigot I was thinking of, or are they a straight fit.

Merry Christmas to everyone

#10 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

Dellows sell the spigot to suit the combo.

#11 _Anubis_

_Anubis_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

Try Mal Wood in Warwick (Qld) - he has been doing the Holden / Supra conversion for years

Edited by Anubis, 25 December 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#12 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

My mate is putting a 202 into an EH ute, he is using a T5 out of a Falcon, as the gear lever is closer to where it should be using the falcon box(apparently) ...  I believe there is an adapter plate to mount to holden bell housing to..... I also think they use the ford clutch, and the holden pressure plate, different input shaft, and tail shaft....   this from my memory of what he told me ....  :)    

But If you need more info, I can ring him, and make sure of the details..........  there will be others on here who would know for sure...   

#13 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Dellows sell the spigot to suit the combo.

I removed the bronze spigot and fitted a bearing. I'll try to get the part number... it requires roughly 2 thou machined off the outside to fit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users