dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car:71 LC GTR

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

Members

An interesting article in the Sydney Daily Telegraph Motor Section (10.1.15) about an SLR 5000 Torrie. Article says its expected to fetch up to $500,000 - yes that's a lot of dough. Estimate is based on its history - former Brock raced et al.

Whether it achieves the price or not, it does raise the question about the nature of 'collectors'. Generally a 'collector' (of cars, stamps, toys ,books, antique furniture etc) will always have the money to pay for what they want or desire to have in the in their own collection or cabinet so to speak. Bread, butter and bills are not priority!

The frantic bidding that occurs on sites like eBay generally reinforce this statement of collector intent.

Anyway, interesting reading.

Cheers Dave

Attached Files

• Attached File  Scan.pdf   365.23K   202 downloads

#2 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

Is that the car Dusting owns

#3 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

Rod Hatfield owns it

Az

#4 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

Being a car that was crashed I don't think it will get anywhere near that price.

#5 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

I understand the significance of its history but thats a lot of cash  

#6 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

Well u never know, the HDT LJ XU1 that finished 2nd in the 1973 Bathurst Race sold for $500,000

#7 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Geez, imagine what a significant ex Race car would be worth if they ever turn up, if that is worth 1/2 million? Something like Bruce McPhee's GTS327 or Colin Bond's GTS350 or other later Bathurst winners.

#8 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

The ex Janson-Perkins A9X that finished 2nd (by 6 laps) to Brocky in '79 sold several years ago for ~$340k.  This car has no link to HDT or Brock although its history is clear and unchallenged. It will be very interesting to note the price achieved for Rod,s car given its provenance. Good luck mate and best wishes with the sale.

#9 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

I sure its only speculation I heard on a "drive show" a few years back when they visited the bowdens that there was an estimated value on peter brocks 79 Hatch of approximately 3.2mil. I know vehicles like the 79 Hatch are difficult to put a price on but I would be interested to know what a true valuation of this car would be if it would be put up for private sale.

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

I could have bought the '78 winning car for about $30k in the 90's, can't remember the exact details but it was local to me. I'd still rather a Series Production winner though, which for Torana means the 1972 car.

#11 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

The 72 car should be worth at least a mil i'd reckon. Dad sold it for 7k :0

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

...nice

With the current talk on possible tax changes to superannuation....things like this may be a good tax free investment?

But I do wonder how long before some Canberra genius figures out they can tax profitable car sales?

Not sure if the market will support that price...but wow, what a car to own.

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

They'd never tax car profit unless you are a dealer, otherwise they'd have to allow you to claim losses on them as well!

#14 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

hmmm...if that's the case......maybe a tax IS a good idea Yel....reckon I've lost on nearly all of em!  ha ha

#15 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

I'm no accountant but there is such a thing as capital gains tax, if you buy something as an investment and make a profit when you sell it then you have to pay tax on the profit (as if it were income).

What you need is a capital losses credit but sadly the sceme only works one-way... in their favour!

#16 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

I heard the Dentist that owns the Green GTHO Phase 4 Falcon was offered Two Million $$$$$ for it and knocked it back.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

I'm no accountant but there is such a thing as capital gains tax, if you buy something as an investment and make a profit when you sell it then you have to pay tax on the profit (as if it were income).

What you need is a capital losses credit but sadly the sceme only works one-way... in their favour!

There is capital gains tax, but that legislation also allows you to claim losses. If the Tax Office started taxing private motor vehicles as a capital gain, we'd all claim the losses on most cars when we sold them.

If a business (or business undertaking like a Superannuation fund) bought and sold a car and made a profit or loss then there is tax implications. For a loss the business gets to claim depreciation except for some circumstances when the vehicle is a commodity. For a gain it is simply business profit normally. 

#18 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Being a car that was crashed I don't think it will get anywhere near that price.

Haha what a dumb thing to say

#19 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

prob a bit like having racehorses etc....if you try and run it as a business and claim a tax deduction for  feed, vets, trainers, transport  etc etc....then they will also want to tax any winnings or prizemoney.

However, if you operate it like a hobby, and just cop all the expenses on the chin, then they don't tax your winnings etc.

...from what Im told by those who have the bloody things

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Why do you think people are coming out of the woodwork claiming they have cars, money.

Geez, imagine what a significant ex Race car would be worth if they ever turn up, if that is worth 1/2 million? Something like Bruce McPhee's GTS327 or Colin Bond's GTS350 or other later Bathurst winners.

What exactly is that supposed to mean???

#21 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

No Torana is worth that cmon get real doesnt matter who drove it or how many races it won
but a fool and his money

#22 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

Why do you think people are coming out of the woodwork claiming they have cars, money.

What exactly is that supposed to mean???

Meaning a race car that been in an accident will always be less desirable over a car that hasnt been smashed up, thus the price wouldnt be as high.

#23 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

Brabham L34, Bartlett Camaro, Grice Cars, 1992 Bathurst winner?

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Is it actually the real deal ?

#25 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users