• 581 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

Mick I will pm you in messenger

I have the numbers  

#177 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

Big names in the business are guilty too and they know who they are. My lips are sealed i wonder whether they will be tackled?

#178 blown308

blown308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:57 PM

I have a question for the VCS, how long does this info go back.. I had two cars stolen over 20 yrs ago. 

Can these be traced 

#179 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

People chase specific date code/engine number blocks all the time.....presumably to claim they have a matching numbers car and hence sell on for more money to some other poor sod down the road.  Equally as reprehensible IMO.

Unfortunately they aren't false advertising, since Holden (and some other manufacturers) didn't use the same number for engine and chassis a 'matching numbers car' doesn't technically have to have the original engine but one with an engine that fits a number 'range'.

If advertised as factory original; different story; not that it could be proved if there are no records, unless you had the original rego papers?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 10 March 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#180 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

They way I read matching numbers is all the numbers match what they were when it left the factory. Nothing to do with a chassis number being the same as an engine number as I've never seen this on any car.

#181 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Fords and various other makes (rolls royce springs to mind) have an engine number that matches the body number. 

Cheers. 

#182 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Fords and various other makes (rolls royce springs to mind) have an engine number that matches the body number.

Yep and some will argue that is the true definition of matching numbers.

Personally, I'm not fussed.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 10 March 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#183 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Yep and some will argue that is the true definition of matching numbers.

Personally, I'm not fussed.

s

And in the ford world it is what matching numbers means.

#184 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Unfortunately they aren't false advertising, since Holden (and some other manufacturers) didn't use the same number for engine and chassis a 'matching numbers car' doesn't technically have to have the original engine but one with an engine that fits a number 'range'.

If advertised as factory original; different story; not that it could be proved if there are no records, unless you had the original rego papers?

s

If someone going to pay that bit extra for a car that has matching number then make sure the seller can back it up with something like this.

One of the pictures is from the Warranty book.

Attached Files

#185 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Cheers. 

Well there you go, easy to see I've never owned or had any interest in Fords.

#186 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

I only know because I'm a dating officer for the local classics club haha.

#187 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:16 PM

s

I don't like the term either much, but to me only way a Holden or Torana can be "matching numbers" is if all the numbers on the car are as it left the assembly plant which includes the original engine. If a car has an engine a single digit away from its original it is the same value wise as if it has one 100000 digits away. Original books are good proof but even those are being faked today. Luckily about maybe 75% of cars have their original engine number recorded in GMH records but that is only for cars that records currently exist for. Makes it hard for post 6/78 HZ owners, very late LX owners, post 6/74 Elizabeth HQ owners and all HK-HG owners.

#188 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

to me only way a Holden or Torana can be "matching numbers" is if all the numbers on the car are as it left the assembly plant which includes the original engine. If a car has an engine a single digit away from its original it is the same value wise as if it has one 100000 digits away.

Excepting the rare cars, a car with factory engine and one with matching number range engine really aren't that far apart in worth. If there's two exact cars for sale and one has a factory engine of course most will go for that.

Yep, original documents are a good selling point.

s

#189 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

hey vic police..you need to look at this one.

http://www.gmh-toran...-on-ebay/page-3

#190 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

I suggest you forget about it Johnno - VICPOL haven't been here since 2nd Feb 2015 despite inviting input via this medium.

It was their decision to frequent this forum or not.

It was their decision not to continue to engage in the two-way comms that social media platforms of this ilk requires.

The outcome in terms of diminishing returns, credibility and poor follow-ship is a readily forecast outcome, but still they stay away.

I wonder if they would have been better served by merely asking Mods to post a VICPOL media release and leave it at that as opposed to enrolling in an on-line forum thereby soliciting input they weren't capable of, weren't willing to, or were unprepared to respond to.

Anyways, I'd normally say these are merely opinions and it is for VICPOL to take what they want and leave behind what they don't in terms of my opinions.

However, their failure to follow-through' means this missive will not be reflected upon and therefore... well heck knows really, outside of corroboration of the stereotype that is VICPOL: 'we know boats".

Cheers, TB

#191 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

If you are concerned that your vehicle may be in this position, or you know of a vehicle which may be of interest please contact us.  This can be done either directly to our email address or via Crime Stoppers (link) or number.

Email on:  [email protected]

Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000

www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

TB, did you actually read their first post ?  At what point did they suggest to post in this thread, or that they would continually monitor this forum ?? 

Well, Heck, I do not believe they did !

I have highlighted the important bits for you. :)

Edited by Skapinad, 29 July 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#192 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

have highlighted the important bits for you. :)

Thank you Skap, much appreciated - and here I was thinking that 'social media' was a different to, and brought with it additional expectations to that of  'traditional media' - silly me - would be lost without you otherwise.

so·cial me·di·a
noun
noun: social media; plural noun: social medias
1. websites and applications that enable users to create and (my emphasis) share content or to participate in social networking.

It is just an opinion Skap, and they are just words on a screen.  No animals were harmed and no reasonable and resilient sensibilities were offended surely, but hey... nah, I think I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for the schooling - owned me - kudos.

All the best to you, TB

#193 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

:fishing:

#194 _Victoria Police VCS_

_Victoria Police VCS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi All,

I must apologise for not logging in sooner than this but as most would appreciate we extremely busy with the many aspects involved in Vehicle Crime related matters.  Since our first posts we've received many emails from members of your forum mostly relating to the sale of ID Tags.  We have been working with eBay and Gumtree on this matter and hopefully the sale of the tags will slow down and not be an issue.  We've also followed up on other matters brought to our attention.  I must reiterate that the purpose of this post from our office was not to generate work but to give likeminded community members an avenue to contact us directly with genuine concerns.

Regards 

#195 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

Was a bit hard to read so I copied it:

Hi All,

I must apologise for not logging in sooner than this but as most would appreciate we extremely busy with the many aspects involved in Vehicle Crime related matters.  Since our first posts we've received many emails from members of your forum mostly relating to the sale of ID Tags.  We have been working with eBay and Gumtree on this matter and hopefully the sale of the tags will slow down and not be an issue.  We've also followed up on other matters brought to our attention.  I must reiterate that the purpose of this post from our office was not to generate work but to give likeminded community members an avenue to contact us directly with genuine concerns.

Regards

#196 _matty2315_

_matty2315_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

hey guys so i brought my first torana just last weekend from queensland off gumtree. now in the photos he had id tags that matched a slr 5000 an the tags to match a slr 5000 body.

once we brought the car back down to melbourne an started to pull it apart my old man noticed that the chasis tags didnt match to what he had shown in the photo an infact he had just slapped slr 5000 guards, boot,bonet an other slr 5000 items on a 4 or 6 cylinder body..

this has gone from a dream car to a night mare for me an if any one has an advice on what to do would be great.

#197 _Ht69_

_Ht69_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hi Matt, I'm sure the guys can offer you some good advice, email them on the email address on the first page in case they haven't seen your post,

#198 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:50 PM

hey guys so i brought my first torana just last weekend from queensland off gumtree. now in the photos he had id tags that matched a slr 5000 an the tags to match a slr 5000 body.

once we brought the car back down to melbourne an started to pull it apart my old man noticed that the chasis tags didnt match to what he had shown in the photo an infact he had just slapped slr 5000 guards, boot,bonet an other slr 5000 items on a 4 or 6 cylinder body..

this has gone from a dream car to a night mare for me an if any one has an advice on what to do would be great.

I would be pissed to say the least if this had happened to me
i would be contacting the Queensland Police and Vic Police and let them know what has happened
use the full extent of the law go from there

#199 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:08 AM

And next time make sure you see the car in person and bring it with you.

Not judging and not saying its your fault, its just a shame you had to learn this way.

I know it costs money to travel but I bet you wish you spent the coin now.

#200 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

if any one has an advice on what to do would be great.

I'd be straight on to the cops for that one; make sure you have images of the original ad.

If the cops can't help; you best get a solicitor; yes, you should've double checked at the location but he didn't sell you what he advertised; it's straight out fraud; especially if you paid an SL/R 5000 price for it; if it was dirt cheap, it may be a case of buyer beware.

If you're lucky he may offer a refund before it goes to court.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 15 September 2015 - 06:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users