I NEED HELP

drop tank engineer torana help money sydney new south wales

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hey everyone, im looking to put my torana on the roads as soon as i can but the drop tank in my car has no evidence of a engineer signing off on it. the drop tank looks fine but just needs someone to have a look at it and make sure its safe to go on road. if anyone knows who could do this in the sydney region or wollongong i would be extremely grateful. thanks :)  :lock:

#2 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Google VMC Engineering Robert Elliot he's mobile working out of Bringjelly

#3 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

thanks!! yeah i will do, do you know how much roughly it will cost??

#4 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

A phonecall will get you a more accurate answer than asking on here.

#5 _pasgab_

_pasgab_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

do you have to get them tested?

#6 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

a phone call to who? i sent a email to vmc engineering because its after hours and yeah i need to get it tested because it needs to be legal and stuff, someone said i need to x-ray the welds?

#7 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

Ring Robert direct he's very approachable & he's willing to give info up front for free.

#8 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

Try the number on the webpage. Mobile: 0403 328 574

#9 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'd be surprised if they'll be able to x-ray anything on a drop tank. It'll be a leak test with inert gas and maybe dye penetrant crack test on mounting brackets.

#10 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

alright yeah ill give him a call tomorow, thanks so much guys, you have been a huge help! :) and yeah that test sounds more believable arrimar haha :)

#11 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

An engineer might even want to check that it has internal baffles too, although a lot depends on who made the tank, if it's a Brown Davis or another well known manufacturer then a phone call to them may save you a few hassles?

The thing that most cops will look for is the departure angle, and of course that it's approved in the first place.

Sucks to get a whole car engineered just for a fuel tank!

#12 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

yeah but i have a blue 308 that was put into the car and needs engineering aswell and prety sure 9 inch diff hasnt been, so i wanted to get them all passed at once but its such a hassel at the moment cause i cant work on the motor and drive it to places because of the drop tank :/

#13 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hey UC kid! I notice that you are a young fella. I believe with the new V8 laws engeered cars ain't covered. So if you are on your P's & you UC needs engineering you may not be aloud to drive it.

#14 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

the PMR is well under the legal amount and the engine has not been modified so i thought i could drive it? the max pmr i think is 130 and mine adds up to be like 90???

#15 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

The technical answer is that P-platers are banned from driving:

• Vehicles with a power-to-mass ratios above 130 kilowatts per tonne (based on tare mass), or
  • Vehicles with significantly modified engines, or
  • Other vehicles that are classified as high performance because they have characteristics like fast acceleration.

thats from : http://www.rms.nsw.g...d_vehicles.html

#16 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Check here http://roadsafety.tr...strictions.html
It mention engines mods that need to be approve by an engineer.

#17 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

hmmmm, its not very clear is it, because like its a normal blue 308 in the car but like juts need engineer to make sure its safe :/ they need more specific info

#18 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

uca78t, the 308 has not been modified in any way and when i said get a engineer to check it, i ment to make sure it fits in the car and that the engine is well secured to the car and so on... 

#19 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

The UC wasn't released with a V8 so fitting a V8 of any sort is a engine mod. My advise is to check that with Services NSW 1st.
I had my UC done by VMC for $950 & inspected my engine (253), 17 x 8.5 wheels & daewoo front seats http://gallery.oldholden.com/uca78t/
Robert was lenient on my brakes because they are same used in 253 Torana V8's. Now he may want you to fit HQ style brakes because of the 308. If will ask you to have factory style air cleaner. So I would speak to an engineer after Services NSW.
Cheers Shane

#20 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

oh ok, yeah ill do that, yeah i odnt want to spend all that money getting something engineerd than having to take it out... woh you know alot haha! thanks heeps for your help and might of saved me lots of $$$ :)

#21 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

There may be a way around it. Has the car been rego'ed with the 308 in it. Check the rego papers it'll have the engine No. The capacity & the tarre weight. Check that 1st & let me know.
Cheers Shane

#22 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

when i bought the car he did not have the rego papers on him because the previous owners before him didnt have it or something? so im prety sure it wasnt registered with the 308, but do you know where i could enter my car number and see the registration history?

#23 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Google revs check

#24 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

it says ill have to pay $23, but i think i should be fine, i have emailed two nsw road deperments about it, and now waiting for the reply, i also called trevor and he says i should be ok, and he will cost like 650 for drop tank, including drive :). im going to call a engineer mate who should know a bit aswell later.

#25 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Good luck mate! You a history check on the engine No.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drop tank, engineer, torana, help, money, sydney, new south wales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users