Flares on 4 door.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

Do flares look any good on toranas with fairly standard-ish sized rims and tyres? like 205's, or will the tyres be too far in the guard and it look shit?
Anyone got any pics?

#2 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

Also, whats the difference between SLR flares or A9X flares?

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

#3 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

Yes, it looks like crap with standard rims and flares. Heres how mine looked with 205s on the back.

Posted Image

The only way they look good is if you get wider and offset rims with fat tyres and you need to cut the guards out (rears are a big deal on 4 doors), otherwise you'll have to jack it up like a 4x4.

Theres no such thing as SLR flares, there are L34 and A9X flares. Most people call L34 flares SLR flares. The ones on ebay are the L34 type.

#4 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

The way you pick the difference between L34 and A9X flares is the position of the bottom bolt hole on the door bits. If the bottom bolt is centered at the bottom of the door its L34, if the bolts all go around the edge its the A9X type. Theres no point running the A9X size unless your gonna runn 300+ width tyres.

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Wow Marty thanks for clearing that up, I can't believe I have never heard it.

#6 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

So yours on your car there are A9X's then?

The fronts dont look too bad.

The only reason i ask is that the tyres i have now, althought are only 205's still scrub the guards over bumps or with people in the back. And i figured it might almost be cheaper to get flares than get the guards professionally rolled. that way i could even stick wider tyres on the same rims, 7", im not sure how wide you can go with them.

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

if 205's rub, you need to look at some other options, like offset of your rims, or your tyre profile.. I had 15x7" rims all round on a flareless unmodified LX with 225x50x15 on the rear and 205x55x15 on the front with no scraping at all. 205's with flares look crappy trust me on that. I get told every time I put the stock rims back on the A9X.

stock

Posted Image

with mawers fitted
Posted Image

#8 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:47 AM

Hey RED what size are those Mawers?

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:23 AM

15x8 front and 15x10 rear.

#10 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:16 PM

A9X flares are also wider on the rear, look at the angle of the top of the flares. My car only has the L34 flares, and on the rear it is 100mm overtrack just to fill the flares. 9.5" wide rear rims with 265 tires. Don't know how wide you'd have to go to fully fill the A9X flares. Tyres to contact the flares ever so slightly, not enough to be a problem, just scuffs the sidewall a bit now and then.

Good news is, that new modification rules have an allowance to get greater than 50mm track engineered...... woohooo!!!!

That ad is a bit deceptive in that it says they are both A9X and SL/R 5000 flares, so not sure which they are, you'd have to check.

Before you ask, yup, sorta missed that corner, tightened up a bit quicker than I was expecting. was going a little too fast, hence an excursion into the paddock!!!

Posted Image

Edit: Photo by Jason and Jayde [Sway]

Edited by Yella SLuR, 09 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

Wow Marty thanks for clearing that up, I can't believe I have never heard it.

Put the 2 together, the large flares are the A9X, simple.

RED gotta love the 4WD stance of the standard A9X's, I think its something they setup for hillclimbing. :lol:
All the A9X's need was a wideeeee set of wheels to fill those flares and about a 4inch chop and they look unreal.

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

From looking at the pictures, the other simple way is to grab the front flare and compare the angle on the top to the rears. If the same then L34 flares, if different, i.e. more accute angle on the rears then A9X.

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

For the sticklers, that could also be more obtuse angle, all depends on how you think about it I suppose. Think you can understand what I mean by just looking at the two pictures.

#14 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

Mike, im only running the little L34s so imagine 205s with A9X flares. The reason the front looks ok if because It had 245/9" wide tyres on the front.

SLR304 posted a pic on here a while ago, he has a pic of his LX sedan with A9X flares with 335s on 17s on the back with no mods to the chassis rail at all. With a small amount of massaging you can get 345s under the A9X flares.

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:35 AM

345s on A9X flares, sorry I don't have a better photo; all the photos I took of this were focussing on the front, gives you an idea though.

Posted Image

#16 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for all this info. I might get a new set of wheels instead. I dont really like my wheels, and the offset has the wheels sitting out far (near the guards) and there is a pretty big gap between the inside of the wheel and the suspension. So i cant put tyres any bigger that 205's

Ill put a pic up of the wheels, you can sorta see how the offset is

Posted Image

#17 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:38 PM

My cardomain page 2 has some pics of the flares and tyres.

Page 2

The rims are 14 x 8 all round with unknown offset.

225/60s on front and 245/60s on back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users