different Bonnet scoops

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

Anyone got any opinions on what bonnet scoops they like.
I wanna get one for my 4 door LX, both to try to keep the heat down under the bonnet and to look good.

I was thinking of an A9X scoop, but it aint really a 'scoop' so how would that go keeping everything cool?

I dont really want anything huge, just kinda low and discreet.

my torana is yellow, with black bonnet, no flares or spoilers

#2 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

no scoops are really ment for keeping the engine cool, they're ment for cold air induction. A9X scoops are great for that and more legal that forward facing scoops. If you want to keep the engine cool, get some thermos.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:14 AM

The A9X scoop is supposed to suck cold air down from the bottom of the windscreen and it works pretty effectively so i've been told (which came as a suprise to me) But since your intake is up just behind the radiator basically, I don't think it would have any effect on your car.

As Marty said, thermo fans are for keeping the engine cool. If it fits on there, it will work, and AU Falcon fans work a treat and apparantly they fit on there pretty easily. If you find a set of them then that's the way to go.

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

Just be aware that rearward facing A9X type scoops are actually illegal unless factory fitted, and even then you have to prove it. Some states are clamping down on this. The reasoning is that if a hose breaks, it shoots the liquid up through the bonnet hole and onto the windscreen. Forward facing scoops are actually legal unless they sit up too high and spoil the view.

Rearward facing scoops work very well btw. Over 60 I can't use the washers on the windscreen, they shoot back down into the hole due to the suction created.
If you have something like this fitted
Posted Image

it will give you a few more horses and you won't have to worry about the hole in the bonnet being illegal.

#5 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

The Walky has a vent on the top at the front of the scoop that is designed to draw hot air from behind the radiator. This would provide some cooling effect and help the radiator out. May be low profile but hardly discreet...
If you look at some of the modified Jap cars they have low profile scoops designed to do the same. They are just a low fence to create a low pressure area behind them and above a vent in the bonnet.

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

The Walky has a vent on the top at the front of the scoop that is designed to draw hot air from behind the radiator. This would provide some cooling effect and help the radiator out. May be low profile but hardly discreet...
If you look at some of the modified Jap cars they have low profile scoops designed to do the same. They are just a low fence to create a low pressure area behind them and above a vent in the bonnet.

Cant make a lot of sense of this post?
The walky? walkinshaw, has a rear and forwards facing opening?
Does it draw hot air from the radiator into the intake? or do you mean it bleeds hot air from under the hood out the bonnet scoop? These would get the hot air going into your plenum chamber?

REDA9X: I assume the intake scoop is sealed from under hood air elements and that is why it is legal. Would a rear facing scoop be legal providing you are able to seal around the intake so nothing could leak out of the engine compartment through the scoop?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 10 December 2005 - 01:30 PM.

#7 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

The main thing i wanted to do is to keep the area around the turbo cooler. it gets really f***ing hot, and has melted the copper wires going to the starter motor. I have the cables wrapped in that silver stuff which is supposed to keep some heat out, but some of the wires are still exposed. Even the paint on the bonnet above the turbo has gone crap.

So this is why i was wondering if a scoop would help.
I suppose a small scoop on the left side of the bonnet would be the best (turbo's on the left). But i reckon single scoops to one side look gay, so maybe 2 scoops would be cool... one on each side sorta like the new monaro type.
Im not sure if a single one in the middle would do much...

#8 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

have you thought about a turbo sock or some of that exhaust tape on the turbo, might reduce the heat from it
you could also try a tiny hornet scoop above the turbo, they look a bit gay but will keep it cool
cheers
dave

#9 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

I actually bought one of them turbo wraps off ebay, but after a couple of weeks it got really brittle and you could tear it just by touching it with your finger. (damn ebay!) I could go buy a new quality one but ive heard theyre not much good for the turbo as they keep too much heat in.

I made up a stainless shroud for it which helps, but not as much as i want it to.
Ive ditched the crappy ebay turbo wrap, and just got the shroud now.
I got a pic of it:

Posted Image

#10 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

Anyone reckon Falcon XA GT scoops would be any good. Theyre the two small triangle shaped scoops that sink in to the bonnet instead of stick out.

#11 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Nice looking setup, I realise the heat from the turbo is radiant in nature, but if you are able to get it slightly cooler then the radiant heat from it will be less.
Doesnt look like much airflow under the hood.......given the turbo produces most heat when the engine is spinning fast? perhaps a clutch driven engine fan might make a difference..........worth a try.........it will make a difference....just whether its enough is the quest...............

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:12 PM

i think someone on here had them on a car (XA GT Scoops)..... it was just a temporary bonnet at the time, maybe someone might have a pic they saved on their computer, i have seen it done

Edited by 253toranaSS, 12 December 2005 - 06:13 PM.

#13 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

With regards to the engine fan - My engine isnt running hot. Infact, the only time the temp gauge even passes half way is in banked up traffic on a super hot day, it has a thermo and a 3 core.

#14 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Mike, Ive no doubt that your engine coolant is running at the right temp, but you can still have everything get too hot under the bonnet, especially on the exhaust side of the motor where it can heat things way above the temperature your coolant is at. The idea of the engine fan is it will blow a lot of extra air through the engine bay, especially when the motor is spinning hard which is possibly when your turbo makes it most heat , it will drop the temperature of everything under the hood, including exhaust, intakes, etc. It is possible that at low speed, full throttle work that you might need more cooling than ram air to keep things on the left side of the motor cool, perhaps even run your electric fan when giving it some stick would help a little.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 12 December 2005 - 10:10 PM.

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

i have been thinking of getting two sets of right hand gtr flutes and putting them down the intake side of my bonnet...would look cool i recon. six little slots above the carbs. might work in our application...

#16 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:23 AM

^ heh thats a lill freaky (was thinking the same thing)
most wrx's have a cut outs (meshed) in the bonnet for the heat to be drawn out (or at least create a breeze to move the air), i'm sure you could think of something to do that job but not spoil the lines or looks
good luck...

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Just be aware that rearward facing A9X type scoops are actually illegal unless factory fitted, and even then you have to prove it. Some states are clamping down on this.

I don't believe that this is true. There are ADR's on bonnet scoops. The new proposed Vehicle Modification Rules also have rules on the amount of projection allowed.

Granted, RTA guys still like to hassle you out on these things. My chrome plenum is engineered, and the RTA guys still chose to hassle me about it. Knowing your stuff helps immensely, get the same thing with Building Inspectors.

Never really been an issue for me. Always thought I wanted a bonnet scoop till my mate put one on his car when we were both 16. Never wanted one since.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 13 December 2005 - 10:16 AM.

#18 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:31 AM

So its not a case of bonnet scoop envy?? :)

#19 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

Nup, I'm happy with the bulge that god gave me, don't need another!!!

#20 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:58 PM

do you have a fat arse? or a beer gut?
:P :D

#21 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

do you have a fat arse? or a beer gut?
:P :D

neither, god gave him bulges - man tits.

Jks!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users