106 Db twin system TOO LOUD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _TORANA IN THE BLOOD_

_TORANA IN THE BLOOD_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Heres the story about 4 months ago i recieved a letter in the post that my car was spotted by epa member --------- on a certain rd and claimed that it was way to loud for road use and that i was to take it to exaust joint for testing.
End result 106Db and the limit is 96Db not good but what happens next is worse while driveing home from being tested i was pulled over and defected for roll cage,air filter and seat belts.Not a bloody thing about exaust an noise.
As a result of all this i let the car run out of rego and now have to get a blueslip done an have two questions and plea for help.

Is there any one in sydney that might be able to help me out with a standard exaust or mufflers wheather its a loan or cheap price im sure there is someone out there that this has happened to and i do not want to spend the money on making it quiet when its not what i want and no that i will prob never be done for it again.

Also does anyone no of a good blueslip place in sydney (campbelltown area)which is torana and old car friendly i do want my car to be totaly road worthy thats not a prob as realy dont think im gonna have any probs except my key falls out egnition.I just dont wanna be stuffed around by some idiot that will pick me down to the bone when its not needed.

Any help will be much appreciated even if its just some ideas on what i could do to get car passed for noise i was thinking of just packing my exaust with muffler packing then removeing once passed what do you think will it work

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi mate,

You could pack the tail pipes with steel wool - be sure to poke it well in or it may blow out when they test the exhaust. This will quieten it down....be sure to take it out again with a hooked piece of long wire.

BUT

If you do that its only going to be a matter of time until you get picked up and sent for a re test for noise. The same will happen if you borrow a cheap muffler/s.

The best advice I can give you is to save your pennies and purchase the correct mufflers then as you state your car will be "totally roadworthy" Thinking you will probably never get done for noise again is 'totally wrong dude' lol

Good luck :)

Herne

Edited by Herne, 24 July 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#3 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

yes you will have to do some thing about that noise, it will come back and bite one day. just change the rear muffler or something then its right for ever.
as far as the other defects go you will have to get a engineering report to cover the mods and then that is right for ever aswell.
its the only way to go, next time you get pulled over you just show then the engineering report and all is ok. you hope

cheers

#4 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

The sound test blows. No other word for it. I got done leaving cruizetime at qld raceway last year, 106.9db. Took me 4 months, and 3 more tests, before i managed to get it below the sound level, and that was with a resonator, gonzo and muffler. Plus a shitload more $$!! Also had a bit of steel welded where it dumps, quietened it a lot, last test i got 95.4db, then took it back to the exhaust place and got the bit of steel removed. That was almost a year ago, and havent been pulled up again, touch wood.

Its a prick of a situation, but if you can make it legal for the test, not saying your or i wont get pulled up again, but hey, you can spend a lot of money trying to get it fixed like i did, and still fail.

A1

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

I've been in the same situation as you have except i got done at a blitz!

109.3DB.... yeee Har :)

I paid $600 and got a complete new exhaust system and i was still over the limit. but not by alot.

What we did to get passed was to make "fake gaskets" that bolted in place of teh tailpipe gaskets, and had 4x 3/8" holes drilled in them... Instant 93db.

This was done because i was only at 97db and there was no other way to keep it any quieter!

I'd get your exhaust looked at and see what they can do muffler wise.. and use the plates to get you out of trouble and then your as legal as you can be!

Take the car to Hume Mufflers, Big dave up there will sort you out. Tell him Tiny with the red HQ monaro sent you from Rock Ape's workshop... ( ive met dave a few times and he's done my exhaust and gerbox x-member but he may not remeber me).

Good luck dude!

#6 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

true, thats the best way to beat this. we clear heaps of defects and do blue slip etc. but i must say we have never had a good aus muscle car they are all jap cars with more DB than KW,S lol. best way to do it, go for the blue slip. fail on the exhaust cause you have not had it tested yet. go and put a baffel in somewhere like others have said. bring it back for the second inspection and they just look at the db test sheet and give you the blue slip. then go to rego place, then home to remove what ever you used. it may be weeks or years before you are defected again.

#7 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

The reason i changed my exhaust was to stay as legal as possible.. a couple of DB here or there you probably wont get picked up on.. but 10 DB hehe they can hear that LOL

I'd say get the exhaust done as best you can without too much sacrifice, and then use the restrictor plates to get the defect cleared and live happily ever after!

And yes.. i do still have me plates... just in case :P

#8 _TORANA IN THE BLOOD_

_TORANA IN THE BLOOD_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

Thanks heaps for the replys guys draglc thats a great idea welding a bit of steel in there i think this is the way i will go but i will do it like tiny says an make fake gaskets with holes i think that will work perfect as i will purchase 2 new mufflers i no that wont get it to 96db but the gaskets will once again thanks heaps for the replys and tiny i might just do that an go and see hume they seemed to help you out all my guy wants me to do is spend lots of money on a complete new exaust im not dumb i no i dont need to do that.THANKS

#9 _TORANA IN THE BLOOD_

_TORANA IN THE BLOOD_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

true, thats the best way to beat this. we clear heaps of defects and do blue slip etc.

LX5008 does this mean you do blueslips and able to pass my defective exaust once under 96db because i will be on my newcastle if this is the case.
Also then you could say that you had one aus musle car that had way less db than hp

#10 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:44 PM

Or you could just move to SA and all your problems / defects would be sorted :P

#11 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

All this talk of db reminds me that I have to borrow the sound meter from work. I would like to know how much noise its making, weather I'm totally over the limit or just over. Whats the testing procedure normal done to get the sound levels?

#12 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

you could always fit a couple of small hot dog type mufflers at the rear

#13 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

true, thats the best way to beat this. we clear heaps of defects and do blue slip etc.

LX5008 does this mean you do blueslips and able to pass my defective exaust once under 96db because i will be on my newcastle if this is the case.
Also then you could say that you had one aus musle car that had way less db than hp

yes mate we can do that, the car would have to be legal but. on the defect papers how did they defect you. is it part or full inspection ? and what did they defect you for. you can give a call for a chat on this if you like. 49683774

cheers graham

#14 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

yeh i tried the bit of steel with holes in it, in the flange, still was too loud!

i tried everything, just a combination of hotdogs, gonzos, and bits of steel fixed it.

A1

#15 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Good idea of the 'fake gaskets' Tiny, I've never heard of that one before! Just out of interest what system are you running that brought you down to the 97db reading?

Cheers,

#16 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:03 PM

I went from a twin 3" system ( that had a single triple pass mercury muffler each side), Dumped at the diff... 109.3DB... God it sounded great....

To a twin 2.5" system with a resonator and a straight through muffler each side with full tailpipes. 97Db.

Currently i run the system above with an "X" pipe and the straight through mufflers, but i havent had the sound level confirmed yet!

I used the plates to get below the 97 reading to get passed by the EPA and i'm more than happy to run where i am.. I'd HATE for it to be any louder than it is today!

Cheers!

#17 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

Cool, thanks Tiny, what brand of mufflers are you using?

#18 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Errrr..... not 100% sure... I think they might be mercury mufflers... Theyre "straight through".. but in actual fact if you looed through it the outlet is slightly offset compared to the inlet...

I'm pretty happy with them all over though i have heard rumors ( by my exhaust bloke) of them blowing appart at over 400Hp or so.. they split around the edges wehre theyre folded. I remeber at the time him reccomending a redback muffler if this happened but so far so good!
Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users