35 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Long story short bought a complete rubber kit from Betta auto rubber, i had soo many issues with it, poor quality rubber that just tore when fitting. Parts not even close to original, quarter windows not closing with rubbers fitted. Door rubbers too hard and thick had to slam the door and they didnt even seal properly around the pillar. I sent an email with all photos and explanations hoping that it would be used for R&D and to better there product. I thought that by now the issues soo many people complain about would have been sorted. I have tried to ring the owners personal mobile numerous times, i have had 0 response to my email i sent twice and i have rang the useless sales staff in qld who just tell me they will leave a message with boss and he will get back to me. Apparantely he is too busy travelling oz ripping others off than looking after his current customers who have made an effort sent a 5 page word document showing all the issues to improve on. In the end i had to buy a rares kit which was soo much better, and one rear screen which exploded trying to remove with the old betta auto rubber fitted which was soo tight. All in all im very dissapointed and till this day still have lost arouind $1100 and still no response from the owners. They claim to be the best and cheapest but seems the truth is you get what you pay for. cheap yes but best definetely not. Below is pictures i sent to Betta Auto Rubber

The pictures show the quality of the rubber used, the door rubbers have just split in certain areas and the clips have just torn through the rubber with ease. The rubber is such poor quality that it actually broke in half on removal, the rubber has no stretch and is in no way or shape pliable or suitable as a door rubber.

20140601_152414_zpsz7nwg4la.jpg

20140601_133525_zps437k6w96.jpg

20140601_133945_zps4mxipw0t.jpg

Here you can see a tear in clip hole that is not even close to the original hole

20140601_133609_zpshtvw2g6j.jpg

In these pictures you can see that the length is completely wrong and does not fit properly

20140601_160254_zpstcgmdafc.jpg

20140601_160538_zpsvfjckf21.jpg

This picture shows how tight the window rubbers are and the gaps around the opening. The rubbers were so tight and non-pliable that the rear window shattered on removal which cost another $100 for a replacement and I ended up cutting off the front rubber to save the front screen.

20140602_110225_zpsayqwvw16.jpg

20140602_110242_zpsjfvgb9ol.jpg

This is the new window fitted with a rubber from Rare Spares (sits flat and no gaps)

20140616_134417_zpsobusnqoq.jpg

this picture shows the differences in inner door belts the first one being rare spares that I used the clip being as per original clip shown in the middle. The last one being yours you can see the difference in clip and the difficulty in trying to get this to fit was unbelievable.

20140616_133722_zpsysavlobl.jpg

This picture shows a much better Rare Spares door rubber fitted, No tears, holes line up and you can actually shut the door without slamming it, You can see the difference in size. The hard rubber that pushes into the channel on door frames was also easy to fit, Your door seal was near impossible and took hours with a screwdriver and hammer to force rubber into the channel.

20140616_134328_zpsdkugivek.jpg

These pictures show that even with pressure held on quarter windows, how much further you have to pull the glass in to latch the quarter window closed. The picture on the right is once you have pulled the glass closed enough to latch, the glass is pulled over the rubber and would never seal. You could not close the windows with this happening or fear that the glass would shatter due to the amount of force needed to pull closed. You can also see on the left how loose and poorly the rubber actually sits inside frame.

20140616_134025_zps0c574iaz.jpg

20140616_133929_zpsnvyjoh9w.jpg

#2 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

I won't be needing a set of rubbers for a couple of years yet, but thanks for the tip.

#3 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

thankfully you didn't post the long version :)

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

Unacceptable products its BS in this modern day of technology they cant get a pissy little rubber right its turns me right off doing a resto

#5 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

Haha I could go on for ever about every little thing. Thats the short long version haha. But I agree I have been restoring cars for a while and its the same issues time and time again they should have been sorted by now. I hate to reccomend rares because I have had plenty of dramas with them too but in this case they got a tick in my book.

#6 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

From what I read on here, Rares really seem to respond to customer discontent....

#7 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

The thing that annoys me the most is the complete lack of service and care provided from betta auto rubber. Especially after the feedback I provided them all I wanted was my money back and be done with it. I must admit rares has stepped up a fair amount from years ago however there are still alot of things not up to scratch in my opinion.

#8 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,865 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Have used the Rares door rubbers, spot on.

And have seen them respond to customer issues.

Surprised the other mob doesn't even respond?...its a small world..bad news travels fast.

#9 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Drew
  • Car:LC 2 door

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

Well I'm due to buy my rubber kit very soon and definitely won't go with better auto rubber...cheers for the heads up

#10 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I have used Rares several times now, not a problem. haven't even used the "magic" rubber solution

#11 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

It's a good job they don't make other rubbers (condoms), there would be many a lawsuit

#12 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

rubber majic works good i fitted rubbers straight out of bag then sprayed and shut doors and left while i went to work away for 2 weeks. Rubbers settled in well and doors shut perfect everytime. one thing that got me stumped is whatever type of rubber the rares doors seal are made of, tried every type of sikaflex rubber bond, glue and could nopt get anything to hold final tails on bottom of door. i ended up drilling extra holes and using more plastic clips i had in box of spares. Its only door rubbers though i glued rear outer strip like every one does no problems just the doors cleaned them with warm water, prepsol ive tried everything. Gave up cos i got sick of scraping the stuff off my door where it did stick haha.

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

tried every type of sikaflex rubber bond, glue and could not get anything to hold final tails on bottom of door.

Stick the two cut ends of the seal together with superglue. Contact cement should hold the seal to the door frame where required. I'll have to check my door to see if the contact cement is still holding.

#14 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

I used Better Auto Rubber on my SLR rebuild, I haven't seen such a pore manufactured and pathetic rubber kit in my life time. I purchased my kit from Spectrum Auto Rubber at Penrith thinking they were the manufactures, but they just bought them in from Better Auto Rubber Brisbane because they were cheaper than making their own I suppose and made more money out of the deal. I had the door belt seals rusting, at close inspection when I wiped the seal thinking that there was something on the rubber the rubber just pealed off. Other seals had the steel showing through before fitting. Every door seal leaked and you had to slam the doors so hard to get them to shut it loosened the door mirrors. 

Waited three months for them to organise replacement of the faulty rubbers. In the end they made me up new rubbers(Spectrum auto Rubber) after me putting pressure on them to do something about my situation. They said it was Better Auto Rubber that were at fault and they agreed they were faulty. My complaint was they sold me the kit and it was up to them(Spectrum) to rectify the problem as I purchased the kit from their company (Spectrum) and they should deal with Better Auto Rubber Co and should fight it out with them direct. 

#15 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Has the company changed hands in the last couple of years ?

I've actually bought stuff off them in the past that was quite good, the door seals for my Hilux for example.

#16 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

I found out the hard way why better auto rubbers were cheaper on daughters LC bootlid, I tried for 3 hours over two days to fit it,holes way out and whole rubber is around 3 to 4 inches too short

#17 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I used a rare spares kit and i must say it was an extremely good fit....no problems at all and the rubber magic settles door seals perfectly.

#18 _ProLJ350_

_ProLJ350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

I used rare spares rubbers after a mate of mine went through 2 of the better auto rubber's kits. Both kits split and fitted very poorly or not at all. Company gave him lots of grief so he ended up with rares rubbers now as well.

Can't fault the rares rubbers and the guy at the store ais they had reworked them extensively over the last couple of years.

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

So we can name Betta but not other companies?

#20 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

lol, i thought exactly the same Rexy !

#21 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

But Betta can't help you!

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

YOu can name anyone so long as your talking from personal experience. 

A name and shame thread is a bit full on, though a good idea. 

#23 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Same here i brought a front and rear windscreen rubbers for my 4 door lj torana from betta they were to small.Brought the rubbers from rare spares fitted perfect.

#24 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Phew......I was reccomended to use a better rubber kit.thankfully I went with a rares kit,although it was a long and drawn out affair to get it,had to wait for the 1/4 vent seals for 3 months

#25 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

Phew......I was recommended to use a better rubber kit. Thankfully I went with a rares kit, although it was a long and drawn out affair to get it,had to wait for the 1/4 vent seals for 3 months

Phillip

The reason you had to wait for the 1/4 vent seals is because they where remade from scratch after we received customer feedback.

Les

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users