'XU-1' split pins for Disc Brake Caliper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

gday all,

My split pins on the LJ are barely long enough since i put the spacers and XU-1 rotors on. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get some longer split pins from?

thanks

Steve

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

im assuming you mean the split pin that runs through the crown nut to hold the bearings, etc in. I just have little box with a range of split pins. dunno where my old man got it from but i assume auto-one or somewhere similar could help you out. Cheers. Chris :rockon:

#3 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Sorry mate, i mean the split pin that holds the brake pads in. Does the LH/X/UC have a similar setup? I was just wondering since they use the thicker (XU-1) discs maybe i could just grab them out of that.

Steve

#4 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

thought it sounded a bit silly to be asking bout little alloy split pins.... i just assumed i was in with some privy info :tease: im not too sure on that one.... we just had enough spares of everything that wheni put thicker discs on i had the pins there too. CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#5 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

I know Repco and some others have those really shinny split pins, but i was told by a brake place you can't use them in brakes, cause they are not hardened or they are too soft.

Also you can't get them big enough.

I might have to settle for some large nails. :tease:

Steve

#6 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hi

If you mean the 4 long pins with the hole in the end (2 on each wheel) they are called "pad retaining pins"). The parts manual doesn't specify a different one for the XU1. If you mean the clips that go through the hole in the end of the pad retaining pins to stop them backing out - they are called "pin clips" (see picture. I am not aware of any split-pins in the disc brake system.

Posted Image

Bazza

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

You will see the NASCO ones which are long straight pins and have the above small clips in them, lots of people just use long split pins if they lose them..worked for years for me..Dont worry about it.. or go to the wreckers and get some off a HT/HG disc brake front.
R

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

Just go to a fastners place and buy some longer ones in the gauge you need
Thats whats in my racecar

And he means the pins to retain the pads
Not the clips to retain the pins (his doesn't have pins)

Oh and LH on didn't run the 2 pot caliper....... they went backwards to a single

#9 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replys people.

As dattoman said, mine doesn't have the pins, mine has split pins (not sure if this is orginal or not, considering the state of the car i would say it is).

When we did the disc brake conversion on my mates LC, we only had 1 pin and all the pin clips as illistrated below. Dad got some nails the same size and drilled holes in them fo the clips and they haven't given any trouble on my mates LC.

If we can get these split pins fro mine, i might recommend them to my mate.

Thanks again.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users