Painting engine parts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone painted a inlet manifold in 2k will it stand the heat ?

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

yep had several in 2k no probs, but because the paint is so "plastic-like" it sometimes can crack round the bolt down area's, so dont spray heavy coats

#3 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

Thank you sir i was going to get my harrop manifold polished but il paint it silver just wasnt sure whether it would last

#4 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

Depending on how much you want to spend, maybe look at HPC coating, lasts longer, looks as good as polishing if not better, and good for dropping some degree's, this was the Victor Jnr on my old engine/car
Posted Image

Edited by MRNOS, 27 July 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#5 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:48 PM

I never thought of that got my extractors done earlier this year might look in to that thanks again !

#6 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

I painted this 347 stroker windsor for a mate just last week, it was dropped into the hotrod just this weekend and fired up for the first time, I'll be able to tell you in a few months if the paint holds up ok as this is a pretty serious motor and i'm guessing will generate a fair bit of heat.

Posted Image

#7 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

Nice job Pete!!!! very nice.

#8 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thanks mate, I only put the paint on it but, Its an impressive motor and a credit to the guy who's built it and the Model A roadster pickup its going into is a cool little car too (this 347ci windsor/3500 stall 4spd auto/4.30 9") I'm begging to go for a ride in it once its complete as its a quick car with a standard 289, he's estimating around 450hp out of it but i reckon he's being conservative (reckons he'll be happy with an 11.5 i think he'll go a bit deeper with it but)

#9 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Just remember - if you have bought a brand new HOLDEN oil pump - DO NOT paint it. It voids the warranty.

But then who'd use a std pump, or not pull it apart and adjust it........ :P

Grant..

#10 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

actually been meaning to ask this. as i wil be pulling my motor out soon (well i wish) to give my engine bay and front end a respray, and was copntemplating a coat of 2 pak on the engine, but the thing iv'e been told by a panel beater mate is that surface prep is an absolute bitch on a red motor to get it nice for 2 pack. thats my main caution and problem i suppose. might just go with a can of high temp bright orange and hope it matches the colour of the car. CHEERS.

#11 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:54 AM

Hey Pete. My chev has a few coats of VHT engine paint on it. With the car being resprayed in 2 pac, I want to paint the engine in 2 pac also.

2 things, fo I need to fully remove the VHT, and do I need to prime the block?

#12 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

This motor had been acid dipped so was spotless which was good, the sump was the original ford factory paint which I sanded and cleaned.

We have a Glasurit system at work so thats what I used, I used a Glasurit "wet-on-wet" etch primer which I sprayed a light coat on and then gave it a 25min Bake in the booth to make sure its dry, then two coats of my custom mix of silver basecoat colour, then two coats of HS Glasurit Clear.

If you want to try paint over an existing finish it might be a little questionable, but I think if the VHT is well cured you should be ok if you rub it down well so the paint has a good surface to "key" into. The hardest part would be getting all the ingrained oil and grease off an existing surface so the paint has the best chance of sticking. I used a "wet on wet" primer so it didnt need to be rubbed down.

No 2pack manufacturer will guarantee their paints on a high temp surface like an engine block so its always going to be a risk but it does look good.

Bare metalling the block by dipping etc is probably the best bet, and if you wanna get adventurous you could smooth it (lots & lots of work) and also putty it up and rub it down for an ultra smooth look but really its the domain of showcars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users