wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

Yeah...I think you might be wrong there, Dave.
I will happily stand corrected though.

#27 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

The cast cranks are strong enough for just about any application and would certainly be more than good enough for this build. Maybe hang on to the steel ones for something a bit more demanding? They are worth a bit of money these days and are only going to increase in value so to me it'd be a waste to use one in a street motor.

Yep the cast crank will easily do the job , racers in Victorian 3L speedway are chasing these cranks and good 186 blocks ,see if you can sell to these guys and use the cash to build yours.

#28 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

THis is interesting, every single "L" stamped head I have in the collection regardless of the actual code has large chambers. 

I'll put it another way, all 202 engines, low & high comp use the same 173 low comp cyl head. The difference between high and low comp 202's is in the pistons.

#29 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Yep the cast crank will easily do the job , racers in Victorian 3L speedway are chasing these cranks and good 186 blocks ,see if you can sell to these guys and use the cash to build yours.

How much are these forged cranks worth that it is a viable exercise to swap out the original forged crank for a cast crank?

Personally I'd just say who gives a shit and reuse the forged crank that is already sitting in the crankcase.

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

I'll put it another way, all 202 engines, low & high comp use the same 173 low comp cyl head. The difference between high and low comp 202's is in the pistons.

THis is what I thought. 

So its bloody irrelevant, L stamp means big chamber, which depending on whether its been decked or not all have about the same capacity. So my original statment on the matter is correct, would be bloody useless on a 161. 

#31 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

So no high comp heads on any 173s or 202s?
Only L castings?

#32 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

So no high comp heads on any 173s or 202s?
Only L castings?

173's had H & L cast heads. It is the 202 that used only the 173 L cast head for both high & low comp engines.

#33 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for that, Dave.

#34 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Ok ,

After work i pulled the head off,hear is whats inside,

the story behind this engine goes,a fella came to me complaining about oil dripping from chrome breather cap on to alloy rocker cover,i pulled off breather and said,there is no deflector so oil is going straight up brether and then it is running out onto rocker cover.He then went and got a whole new motor built as he must of thought i had no idea,used same rocker cover and had same problem,anyway i swapped stuff for this engine,which sounded great and went well.

I,m out the back of Tamworth, no one i know wants this stuff so i have no one to sell it to,i have several HP,s and a heap of other engines.

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users