34 replies to this topic

#1 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:20 PM

walking out of work on my lunch break when i see a tow truck roll by with a Green LJ XU1 on the back the same one for sale on carsales and i must say it is a top looking machine, straight as a die and beautiful paint work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

THEN...

Walking down the road a bit further i see an LX in Barbados Green with SL/R Blackouts, A9X flares, drop tank and massive Simmons go flying by (poetry in motion :D ).

THEN...

I see a beautiful looking orange LX again with SL/R Blackouts, flairs, drop tank and massivley deep dished simmons filling the guards nicely (did have SL/R badges on the guards but you never can truly tell if its genuine until you speak with the owner). A very tidy unit i must say and have seen it around a bit lately.

All of this and i just posted this morning about not seeing enough Torana's around my area, should have a rant more often :rockon:

Cheers,
Mick

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

You can probably get an operation that prevents you seeing Toranas ;) lol

Its similar to the procedure they use to remove mobile phones that appear stuck to certain peoples ears.

hehehhee

Herne

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

Ahhh the beauty of living in Australia.

(did have SL/R badges on the guards but you never can truly tell if its genuine until you speak with the owner)

What if they owner's full of shit? :P

#4 _ZeRtER_

_ZeRtER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

If you were walking around where I think you were that could have been my Orange SLR...

Southern sydney and look like this?

Posted Image

Edited by ZeRtER, 28 July 2006 - 05:07 PM.

#5 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

Nice car man ^^^

Spotted in Victoria:
UC Sedan, pink, with primed RHD. Has blackouts and flares, playboy seat covers... just off walker road in mt waverley. near tally ho tennis club

Edited by Liam.W, 28 July 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#6 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

The photos of the green Torana on Carsales show the car in a large shed.
It looks very much like the dealer only section of Fowles Auctions.
And they're at Moorebank.
Location of car... Moorebank. But different phone number to the Fowles office.
Could some one there be selling it?
John.

#7 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

ive spotted quite a few nice torries around the joint
purple lhlx slr 500 looking thing from a distance as it was moving
harlequin slr 5000 torry who a mate of my mates owns has a 400 chev minispool etc apparently won summernats a few years back????

the other day while driving i saw a hatchback with sprintmasters a brown one i said mum were pulling over and she said what??? NO!
lc 4door white
lc4door green 4cyl grandpas car
lc4door with weird homemade spoiler
lefty5 stunning lc GTR show car which i am trying to get in contact with to get him on the site
lx ss hatch or a9x didnt really know at the time sky blueish colour
makkas magnificant beast
also seen a lc 2door drag car project

more seen but just cant rememeber them

#8 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hi Guys.

LoneOranger said:-

"It looks very much like the dealer only section of Fowles Auctions.
And they're at Moorebank.
Location of car... Moorebank. But different phone number to the Fowles office."

The place that the March 17th LJ is for sale is called Alliance Auctions. It is a separate business but located close to Fowles.

I had a good look at that car last night, it's genuine & it's a 9 out of 10 car. It's an early '73 LJ & they want to try & get $55,000 for it.

I suppose you can only ask.

Dr Terry.

#9 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Very nice ZeRtER

#10 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hey ZeRtER
That colour on your car is it Orange???????
If so which shade is it????

cheers Keith

#11 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Dr Terry.
I always look forward to your comments on Saturdays tooon 2SER
Great Show.
That XU1 is about 10K off what I have to spend ATM.
Regards, John.

Awsome looking car ZeRtER.
A credit to you.
John.

Edited by LoneOranger, 29 July 2006 - 09:38 AM.

#12 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the tips Dr Terry!

I guess myself and many others would put $55K at the top of the price scales for a mint XU1. So if we put $55K as a 10/10 then what would you say this car is lacking to only give it a 9 ???

cheers

L :spoton:

#13 _ZeRtER_

_ZeRtER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hey ZeRtER
That colour on your car is it Orange???????
If so which shade is it????

cheers Keith

yeah its orange.. im pretty sure its actually called loneoranger but not too sure on the colour code of it...

#14 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hi Guys.

torry nut said:-

"So if we put $55K as a 10/10 then what would you say this car is lacking to only give it a 9 ???"

If you're going to pay that sort of money for an XU-1, you want it to be 'concourse original' & in a presentable good clean state.

9/10 is a very good score, don't get me wrong. This thing is pretty good, reasonably good paint (resprayed), good trim, original AM radio in dash etc, but I always look under the bonnet, afterall I do turn spanners for a living. There are a few bit not quite right there. It's got those crappy looking aftermarket chrome sideplates with the pressed 'ridge', in the middle. The throttle linkage is very worn in parts & some of it has been replaced with later plastic stuff. Wrong colour cheap-looking ignition leads, wrong rocker cover decal. It does has the original type 'big nut' m/cyl though. A bit dirty underbonnet too, a lot of country dust, a lot of detailing needed.

As I said at $55,000 it needs work.

One interesting thing I noticed. He proudly shows copies of original purchase receipts etc. on the top of the dash along with a copy of a verification letter from Holden. The VIN (PSN) number on the plate (not on the car by the way, they are in the safe at the auction house) is 8D11PCH2xxxxx etc. The P looks badly stamped too, but most likely a factory glich. The letter from Holden prints the VIN as 8D11CH2xxxxx, missing out the 'P'. Probably the most important single digit in a '73 XU-1 VIN. Am I being too pedantic ??

Dr Terry.

#15 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:40 AM

If you were walking around where I think you were that could have been my Orange SLR...

Southern sydney and look like this?

Posted Image

Yep thats the one, very tidy & tough looking car mate. You might have seen my LJ sedan around. Yeah i always go walking round that way at lunch time, i actually work in Box Rd next to Andrew Short Marine. Nice to know some Southern Sydney peoples are getting on this site.

#16 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

I was in taren point at andrew short marine getting some bits for my jet ski and seen that barbados slr aswell haha small world !

#17 _ZeRtER_

_ZeRtER_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Yep thats the one, very tidy & tough looking car mate. You might have seen my LJ sedan around. Yeah i always go walking round that way at lunch time, i actually work in Box Rd next to Andrew Short Marine. Nice to know some Southern Sydney peoples are getting on this site.

yeah i head up to the subway on box rd for lunch pretty often.. have actually been seeing a few toranas around the area lately. I know of 4 just in my family haha..

what colour is the lj? i probably have seen it as there are a couple getting around...

#18 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Edit - Double Post

Edited by LOWS2, 31 July 2006 - 09:33 PM.

#19 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

yeah i head up to the subway on box rd for lunch pretty often.. have actually been seeing a few toranas around the area lately. I know of 4 just in my family haha..

what colour is the lj? i probably have seen it as there are a couple getting around...

I know what you mean about Torries in the area, making a bit of a come back but hardly any owners on the forum that i know of. Shame more peeps from Southern Sydney arent on the forum cause would be great to do some National Park runs down to Wollongong on the new coast road.
I have seen a top lookng Barbados Green LX with flare kit and HSV ClubSport mags parked near Northies @ Cronulla.

and my LJ is Holden 'Red Hot', is lowered, spintmaster mags and has exhaust & extractors (but stock 173 with column Auto). Looks good but nothng special mechanically as she is my daily driver.

Cheers,
Mick

#20 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

:spoton: Dr Terry!

I don't think your being too pedantic at all. As you said you turn spanners for a living and guys like myself rely on info from gurus like you to help us.

It is a very valid point that you brought up, it may be a factory error or may be much more! As its been said before there seems to be alot more wana be XU1's around these days and comments like yours go along way in educating the wary buyer!

Thanks for post Terry! i enjoyed the read!

cheers

Luke :spoton:

#21 _TORANA IN THE BLOOD_

_TORANA IN THE BLOOD_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I would be keen for a run down the nasho any day i now have my toza
back on the road maybe we can get something organized on here im sure
there would be a few in the sydney area that would join in an would be a great chance to get some pics

#22 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hey,

Now that i got rid of my clubbie, the only weekender i have is my torrie, its been neglected too much recently.

If any of you guys are up for a run through the national park, or to wollongong, or anywhere.

I am up for it!

Halil.

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

yeh id be up for a cruize. im alwayz looking to find a good photo shoot location, but ca never find a good one. so yeah, if someone wants to organise im in !! :spoton: CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#24 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

I am in for a run now where is that Sydney organiser (TINY) a man of many talents

cheers Keith

Edited by keith1962, 21 August 2006 - 09:33 PM.

#25 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

Have been so keen for a cruise down my way for a while now, so lets get one going!!!

A top run is from Cronulla to the National Park entrance at Loftus and take that all the way through to Stanwell Tops, then along the 'new' coast road (i.e. Sea Cliff Bridge) through all the south coast beach suburbs (Austinmer, Thiroull, etc) then onto Wollongong (maybe some of the Wollongong guys/girls can suggest a good stop point down there as i only know the light house). Could even go further down to Kiama, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users