S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

I was just thinking, could the welder I have, even on the lowest setting, be too powerful? It's a unimig 180amp.

Nope, but the higher the maximum amperage rating of the welder the thicker the steel you will be able to weld with it.

#27 _Borninsteel_

_Borninsteel_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

Gas..?
Gas flow...?
windy conditions..?
Gas bottle rental...hmmm

Get gasless mig wire, .8mm...and a can of spatter guard..a Good brand of wire, Not that cheap ass $60 a 5kg roll Chinese carp.
Cheap wire its too brittle

Learn, teach yourself how to use it on thin sheet metal.
sometimes you need weld in short bursts for anything around .6mm sheet, so that the metal doesn't get to hot..
Use compressed air, or a big angle iron/ali heat sink clamped or riveted along or near the where the weld is going..

Use a copper or aluminum backing plate behind the weld....(flattened out copper 3/4" water pipe works great)..
and put wet denim material behind the coper or ali plate to keep it cool..

Glassless wire will weld through anything: rust, galvanized metal, paint as it gets pretty hot..

I admit , it is porous at times, but just chip away the slag and go over it again, its all good. 

You can weld in a tornado..with gasless mig wire ...

No, I'm not full of shit..., "you get in da bowl"

#28 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

I was just thinking, could the welder I have, even on the lowest setting, be too powerful? It's a unimig 180amp.

No mate,

I weld 40 plus hours a week for well over 10 years,i use a mig that is a 335,and can weld thin sheet metal with it,even with 0.9 wire,but recommend 0.6 for you,just turn down power and wire speed,and try to spot slightly on last spot,and be very patient ,you need to practice on crap first.

I usually arch on something else to get the red glow on wire first,then hit job with one small blast at a time,if end of wire has no red ball,its hard to keep spotting.

Don,t expect to go far in a short time,and as said ,do a little bit in different places.A wet rag can help,or compressed air to cool. 

Have plenty if tips,shrouds and defusers ,i wrap wire around gloved hand and spin around in tip till it breaks off,this will clean end of tip and shroud,so you don,t have to replace as soon.Its hard to break of at first till you get good at it,when you feel it grabbing in tip try this to get it to run smooth again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users