Need help identifying SLR

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys. I went and looked at an LH today, the owner swears it a genuine SLR 5000. He was honest with me and told me that it had been previously stolen.

So here's the deal.... He said that it was stolen & recovered back in 1985, the body number is missing from the car (near charcoal canister) and has been issued a new body number by the Victoria Police (stamped on passanger rail).

The 2 ID tags on the car are in poor condition and could appear to be off 2 different cars, skinny vin tag reads:8C69LHJ429383_? either a h,1 or 4 at the end, i can't read it.

The body tag says: 4/74, and ALH003__IN, again really hard to read! He had the original 308 in the shed but the engine number had been ground off from when it was stolen. There was a casting number on top of the block which was: 22F6. Car is Barbados Green, he apparently has pics of the car from back in 1985 from when it was stolen proving that this was the original colour.

Can anyone give me any sought of details from this small bit of info i have?

Are there any identifier's where i can check out on the body of the car itself?? Surely there is something on the body that can help prove if it is a genuine 5000 or not!

Let me know if there's anything i can provide. Many thanks in advance!

Edited by toranaheath, 26 September 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

That isn't a body number, it is a chassis number. Body number should read 429383 on the body tag.

The last digit on the VIN tag is a H, and that tag was off an SLR 5.0L.

That is the Safety Compliance, or ADR plate you are reading the build month and chassis number off, not the body tag. The body tag has the paint and trim lines on it. 

With the chassis number missing off the rail in reality it makes no difference what the body was if original or not or if all the tags match each other. The car will still take a huge value hit. My advice would be to walk away unless it is really cheap, and then either use it as is or use it as a donor car for all its bits to restore another car. For the $ you'd spend on this one you'll buy a whole driving car without identity issues.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hmm... where to even start...

That VIN tag (the skinny one) must have a typo, it should be 8C69LD J429383H

That one is off an LH 202 six cylinder "SL" sedan and the body number is a couple of thousand too high for a 4/74 build, this VIN is not supposed to match the chassis number.

The chassis number stamped into the chassis is the legal identifier (the VICPOL number).

The chassis number stamped on the compliance plate should end in ALH003xxxM (not that it matters any more)

Why would thieves grind off an engine number, the absence of one is just as illegal as a stolen number? Anyway, a 22F6 cast date was born on 22nd of June 1976 (or '86 or '96) so that wasn't the original engine either unless the car is actually an LX with an LH compliance plate on it??

There are many subtle differences that may help with identifying the car but you'd need to post photos and let us pick the bones?

#4 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I also noticed that the chrome stips on the inside of the door trims ran from one side to the other, whereas (from what i know) LH SLR door trims have a half circle chrome trim and don't run all the way across the door trim. Can someone please confirm this

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

~ The last digit on the VIN tag is a H, and that tag was off an SLR 5.0L. ~

Umm, how is an "8C69LD J429383H" off an SL/R 5 litre Yel???

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

Heath. WALK AWAY and keep searching.

#7 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Yep I agree, unless it's REALLY cheap, as in worth the value of the parts alone, I'd keep on looking.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Don't walk... run

#9 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Heath. WALK AWAY and keep searching.

Thanks for the input so far. I know to  be wary, i can pick it up for what i would pay for an SLR Mock up anyway! So even if it doesn't turn out to be a genuine car i don't mind!

A few other things to note. The guy has the factory original plastic flares, original barbados green paint on them and also the L34 heads on the current 308 engine that is in the car.

Im confused, 1 guys says that the skinny vin tag says its a genuine SLR5000, another guy says its a 202 SL model. 

Can someone please break down to me on how to read the vin tag? 

Im a bit more clued on with LC & LJ's sorry

Edited by toranaheath, 26 September 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#10 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi guys. I went and looked at an LH today, the owner swears it a genuine SLR 5000. He was honest with me and told me that it had been previously stolen.

So here's the deal.... He said that it was stolen & recovered back in 1985, the body number is missing from the car (near charcoal canister) and has been issued a new body number by the Victoria Police (stamped on passanger rail).

The 2 ID tags on the car are in poor condition and could appear to be off 2 different cars, skinny vin tag reads:8C69LHJ429383_? either a h,1 or 4 at the end, i can't read it.

The body tag says: 4/74, and ALH003__IN, again really hard to read! He had the original 308 in the shed but the engine number had been ground off from when it was stolen. There was a casting number on top of the block which was: 22F6. Car is Barbados Green, he apparently has pics of the car from back in 1985 from when it was stolen proving that this was the original colour.

Can anyone give me any sought of details from this small bit of info i have?

Are there any identifier's where i can check out on the body of the car itself?? Surely there is something on the body that can help prove if it is a genuine 5000 or not!

Let me know if there's anything i can provide. Many thanks in advance!

Few things to note: It has LX headlights & surrounds fitted, he also has the original factory fitted plastic L34 flares in the original paint (barbados green) and apparently the original L34 heads are on the block thats currently in the car.

#11 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

8C69L says 202 SL 

#12 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

C=SL

L=202

#13 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hmm... where to even start...

That VIN tag (the skinny one) must have a typo, it should be 8C69LD J429383H

That one is off an LH 202 six cylinder "SL" sedan and the body number is a couple of thousand too high for a 4/74 build, this VIN is not supposed to match the chassis number.

The chassis number stamped into the chassis is the legal identifier (the VICPOL number).

The chassis number stamped on the compliance plate should end in ALH003xxxM (not that it matters any more)

Why would thieves grind off an engine number, the absence of one is just as illegal as a stolen number? Anyway, a 22F6 cast date was born on 22nd of June 1976 (or '86 or '96) so that wasn't the original engine either unless the car is actually an LX with an LH compliance plate on it??

There are many subtle differences that may help with identifying the car but you'd need to post photos and let us pick the bones?

Thanks big Fella. Apparently the thieves had removed the engine and ground the engine number from the block. The car was found at someones property, obviously starting to be stripped.

The dash fascia & brake booster were missing when the car was recovered by the police.

I am thinking it is actually an LX myself as it had LX headlights & surrounds. The tail light housings were black, does that mean anything? I also noticed a charcoal canister housing, did LH have this?? If not then it must be an LX right?

Edited by toranaheath, 26 September 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Umm, how is an "8C69LD J429383H" off an SL/R 5 litre Yel???

I could have sworn it had a T not an L in the engine designation spot when I typed the reply (Heath did you edit that?), can't vouch for the C didn't take much notice after I saw the T - might be early onset lysdexia.....

#15 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hey Yel327. No i havn't change any of the vin details i originally posted.

Can you tell me if SLR had black tail light surrounds, and did any LH have charcoal canisters? I wouldn't have thought so

#16 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

LH did have canisters

Depending on the month and year

#17 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

The seller sounds legit.......

#18 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Sarcasm-Meme-4-206x206.jpg?timestamp=144

#19 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

Heath, I believe the following pic is of a LH/LX V8 clutch cable hole in firewall. My understanding is the 6cyl clutch rod hole is in a different position in relation to the stud and bolt hole. So if the LH you are looking at has a matching (factory looking) setup to the pic then it's a good chance the car was factory fitted with a V8 and manual transmission.

If I'm wrong or my explanation isn't good enough then I'm sure an LH/LX guru will oblige with more useful knowledge.

221.jpg

#20 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Thank you S Pack! Thats the sought of info i need. Anything else you can think of?

#21 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

I am thinking it is actually an LX myself as it had LX headlights & surrounds. The tail light housings were black, does that mean anything? I also noticed a charcoal canister housing, did LH have this?? If not then it must be an LX right?

Look at the tail light from the inside, LH had a diecast alloy backing plate whereas LX where all plastic. If it had the original dash then LH would have white instrument numbers and LX had yellow instruments.

But the problem you're gonna have is so many things may have been swapped out over the years that it would take a personal inspection by somebody who really knows what to look for, especially if the car was cobbled back together after being stripped?

As mentioned already, the best way would be to post up a heap of detailed photos and let the "experts" here pick it to pieces, there are a lot of little differences but again, nothing that can't be changed. I wouldn't place any stock whatsoever in any of the ID plates, sounds like someone has just thrown on any old plate that was lying around?

I think what it comes down to is what you want the car for, if it just needs minor work to get it up to scratch so you can go cruising, then negotiate a good price and enjoy it.

On the other hand, if you're looking to spend fifty grand on a re-build then you want to start with a car that's still gonna be worth something once you finish.

If you do buy this car just remember you may have a hard time re-selling it, so price accordingly.

#22 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

The guy has the factory original plastic flares, original barbados green paint on them and also the L34 heads on the current 308 engine that is in the car.

Factory fitted flares were all fibreglass...

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

Heath, you say the seller has the original plastic flares and the original L34 heads on the engine. Is he claiming this car to be an L34?

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

Look at the tail light from the inside, LH had a diecast alloy backing plate whereas LX where all plastic. If it had the original dash then LH would have white instrument numbers and LX had yellow instruments.

But the problem you're gonna have is so many things may have been swapped out over the years that it would take a personal inspection by somebody who really knows what to look for, especially if the car was cobbled back together after being stripped?

As mentioned already, the best way would be to post up a heap of detailed photos and let the "experts" here pick it to pieces, there are a lot of little differences but again, nothing that can't be changed. I wouldn't place any stock whatsoever in any of the ID plates, sounds like someone has just thrown on any old plate that was lying around?

I think what it comes down to is what you want the car for, if it just needs minor work to get it up to scratch so you can go cruising, then negotiate a good price and enjoy it.

On the other hand, if you're looking to spend fifty grand on a re-build then you want to start with a car that's still gonna be worth something once you finish.

If you do buy this car just remember you may have a hard time re-selling it, so price accordingly.

All very good points Andrew.

Just to add that a 4/74 LH Torana would not have a charcoal canister and also could not be an L34.

#25 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

open the boot , LH had a brace from tail light to tail light , LX did not  .

But like the others have said , run don't bother with the hassle .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users