rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

cheers that is some help,, does the flare on the tube sit level with the top of where its inserted or does it sit down in the hole if that makes sense?? would you say flare to full is about 82mm??

also if u have a sump off could you install one of them and fill the sump on level ground with a fluid of choice up to the full mark and measure from the gasket surface/top of the sump down to where the fluid is??  its the gap of air between the bottom of the block and where the fluid starts the would be extremely handy..

Don't over think it.
All you need is enough oil in the sump to keep the pickup covered. If you have a HE street pan then put 6 litres into it. Add a tiny bit more if you are changing a large filter at the same time instead of a Z160.
I assume your car is mostly street driven. If you are doing circuit work you likely need a better pan.

#27 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Yes only street driven. I am just going to run the 6Lts. It's more that I just wanted to know what factory hight is as I don't have a factory sump or dipstick to be able to check.

#28 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

You will find that the flare does drop onto the tube, but your tube should do that too. So just mark your dipstick 8.5cm down from the flare and that is the full mark. As for the add mark..... that will vary depending on your sump capacity and oil pick up height.

So the flair doesn't go passed the top of the dump tube?
Mine is a Machined piece or alloy. With o ring's. Nothing like a factory unit. But a does stop level with the top of the sump tube.

#29 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

Factory tube has flared bit..that sits snuggly seated inside bowl of sump tube sealed in

#30 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

How far down does the flared bit go into the sump tube?

#31 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Depends.
I presume you have something like the top one?

Attached File  IMG_6895.JPG   85.61K   6 downloads

The factory ones often need a little silicone to seal completely. I reckon there will be bigger dramas with the aftermarket ones.

This is a factory one sitting in my old ASR sump. The sump fitting is flared down to a constriction where the ridge on the dipstick tube seats. That black band is about 12 mm high or close enough to 1/2 an inch.

Attached File  IMG_6896.JPG   100.12K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6898.JPG   192.56K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6901.JPG   107.04K   4 downloads

Texta line on tube.
Attached File  IMG_6903.JPG   82.32K   2 downloads

Measures here.
Attached File  IMG_6904.JPG   111.65K   5 downloads

#32 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Absolute legend. Thank you very much for spending the time to do this.. from all this I should be fine to sort out my level.. yes mine is identical to the top one in your pic. As it runs pretty close to the exhaust it has melted the plastic inner tub inside in the braid. This is why I'm looking at making a new middle section from alloy tube welded In place of the braided section.
Thanks again very much for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users