76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

That's a nice trailer, I agree though that the weight is probably quite optimistic unless its primarily aluminium construction. It could be under 500kg maybe though.

As for towing cars on trailer long distances period, why would that be of concern?

We all do it but its less than ideal if you think about how it affects braking etc, the whole lot becomes a very poor performing vehicle. The hitch leaves a lot to be desired for the heavier loads too. But then again I wouldn't like to drive a lot of the cars I see on the road either! Long distance just increases the speeds and the risk of coming across a situation that will test the limits and the cargo is usually precious.

#27 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

This is the old girl. Should look good with black carpet and Sandlewood interior.
It would be a GTR Seacraft

Attached File  image.jpg   131.21K   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   93.61K   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   129.25K   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   91.87K   3 downloads

And he's its a six, but an RB30, sorry guys

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

That is frOcking awesome.

Just needs an engine swap to something not totally the pits and would be the coolest thing on earth.

#29 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

Thought you might like that.
It weighs nothing, so I will be towing that with the Hatch. Not half way around Australia, but locally

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

Yeah boat and trailer should be well sub 700kg.

Rubber band hunk of lead dead weight engine would be the only issue :-p

#31 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

I had a 'glass version of that shapeboat with a timber top. It had a 351C in it. I intended to change it for a proper engine (like a SBC) but the 351 still went well so I left it. Used to go like the clappers, used to turn so hard the backwards facing passenger used to get their right arm wet.

#32 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

They handle great. Can almost turn in their own wake, and they go too.
This one is topped out at 54 mile an hour. There are a few in the "Seacraft Syndicate Boat Owners Club" that have got their single carb sixes going to 60mph, and some twin carb sixes closer to 65-68mph.
With only 6mm between wet and dry, it's moving.
The mid mount 8's are around 70-75mph, then the "V Drives" well, the sky is the limit. 100mph is not un herd of

#33 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

Bloody hell. I can ski to about 45mph and then I shit bricks. Those ski racers are nuts.

#34 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Do you race it locally?

#35 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm guessing your correct on the trailer too. It's deffinately not flimsy or dental floss as you put it(hehe) it's actually quite strong, just doesn't feel very heavy to push around that's all.
My brother builds and registers them, so he must know the weight. I will ask and report back.

As for towing cars on trailer long distances period, why would that be of concern?
I have towed cars from Melbourne to Adelaide a few times, and to Canberra more times than I care to remember. Never had an issue, and always on the speed limit.

How much does brother sell these for? Looks to be a good trailer.

Lol, tag team? You can drive my bucket.

I prefer Grants :lol:

Careful, he likes tag teams with his possum........

Edited by IMORAL, 14 December 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#36 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

I would have to check the price to be sure Paul, but I think somewhere around $3500-$4000, but don't quote me.
I will give him a call and confirm

DJ, I don't race it as such, just boat club meetings. More of social days and weekends. We have all sorts of "time trails". Everything from boat on its own, single ski . Barefoot drags, kids aged ski events under 6 up to under 16's, parent sibling races, family marathons, and even a boat-a-kana.
Just really good fun.
They are closed events with only members and associates involved for Insurance reasons. Everyone helps each other.
If you want to beat your friend in a skiing event and their boat is faster than yours, you just ski behind another boat that you know is quicker than theirs.
I even tow my two year old in a ski biscuit. Well, at leat someone else tows us, cause I get in with him.

#37 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like fun, would be cool if there was something like that here.

#38 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

If there is a local garden improvement place they may have trailer scales handy. The purpose of these scales is to pre-measure the trailer empty and then once loaded with soil or compost. Maybe see if you can take the empty trailer across to confirm the weight.

A story whilst here.......

I had an SL 6 cylinder manual hatch that I often towed with without a problem but I pushed it too far once. I had an enclosed altered (drag car) trailer on with stuff loaded in it to move cities. I didn't think it was overloaded but a cross wind on an open section of highway proved the load carried is not always the problem you may encounter. It got the dreaded sway going whilst at 75-80 km/h and whilst I thought I was getting on top of it as the speed came down, the end result was the trailer taking a left turn for the salt bushes and taking the rear of the Torana with it. Whilst I managed to keep the hatch from a jack knife scenario (just), the car was still dragged sideways into the dirt and scrub on the side of the road.

Moral of the story, it's not just the weight being towed that may bring you undone, a large trailer can be affected like caravans when subject to side winds.

If I had have had a heavier tow vehicle that would not have been so easily pushed around by the trailer, I think the result would have been different. Basically the little Torana is too light to do any serious towing where the tail may want to wag the dog.

Funny bit was I was giving the mother-in law a lift to Adelaide and I would not allow her to smoke in the hatch (understandable I'm sure) . The look on the her face as we came to a stop in the midst of dirt, salt bush and crap flying all around us was surprising, cool as a cucumber she was. As the dust settled she calmly asked "Can I have a cigarette NOW?".

Total damage was a LHS rear tyre that had been pealed off the rim, slightly twisted rear bumper bar and my undies. The car was also bogged is dirt mounds at the side of the road.

Here's the amazing thing, country people are the best! Before the mother-in law had even lit the smoke, all these people traveling on that section of road had stopped and were now set about helping get the car back on the road. This involved shovels, ropes, a Toyota 4WD to drag the whole car and trailer as one back up onto the side of the road, the wheel was replaced with my spare and everything put back.........................and just like that, within minutes I was ready to continue on my way! The mother-in law was just stubbing out that first smoke. One minute a flurry of activity and the next everyone else just hustled off as quick as they arrived.

If you are one of those who assisted or assist in such as event........THANK YOU.

Edited by The Baron, 15 December 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#39 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

I had a 'glass version of that shapeboat with a timber top. It had a 351C in it. I intended to change it for a proper engine (like a SBC) but the 351 still went well so I left it. Used to go like the clappers, used to turn so hard the backwards facing passenger used to get their right arm wet.

Do you know why Ford paint their Cleveland V8s blue ??

So it won't scare the fish.

Dr Terry

#40 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

This one was so loud I doubt the fish would have come close anyway!

#41 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

I have a largely similar and slightly bigger steel trailer - hardwood floor and side rails.

home made caravan chassis conversion, so had to be weighed.

400kg on the nose.

mechanical brakes to front wheels, so only legally allowed to tow 1100kg - but the hatch just squeezes on.

tandem wheels make an enormous difference to the stability of the trailer.

I would never tow it loaded (again) with a lightweight car - even though I could legally do so.

did it once - nearly ended in disaster - but had 3 lanes of expressway to ultimately jacknife in............

Same trailer, heavier car (allegedly LX) both locked up from 110kmh down the M1 (or whatever it is called now)

No problems behind a 351 XB Coupe. (even though it had a blue motor!)

#42 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Do us a favour and put the trailer on the hatch and the LC on the trailer and take a pic.

Then take it all apart and never think about it again lol.

Seriously not worth the risk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users