Commodore alive after 2017 ?

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Don't know if this has surfaced here but as above says, very interesting, time will tell I guess,would be great for the local manufacturing industry. 

Anyway good on him for having a go.

http://www.carsales....lizabeth-100647

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hopefully it happens. Hopefully he has more sense than Holden and expands the ute into something with leaf springs so it can tow! Or even make another AWD version like the Cross6/8. 

#3 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

I hope so.......     I luv the new Commodore..  If I won Powerball, it would be the first car I bought........  not the only one mind you..  but a Lone O Ranger Supercharged GTS would look sic sitting along side my Torana, my 69 Pontiac Firebird, my HK GTS, my GT 351 Coupe, L/34, A9X .......  you get the picture .....   but back to reality  :cry: .................   I do really like the last Commy...     

Especially if this weapon come out .......

Attached File  WP_20151222_11_09_58_Pro (450x800).jpg   239.82K   4 downloads

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

I'd have a Ute or possibly a HSV something but neither are Commodores!

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'd have a Ute or possibly a HSV something but neither are Commodores!

OK then, Commodore-based !!

Dr Terry

#6 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

I hate the "not a commodore" argument.

Its like arguing semantics...

Its a commodore Ute and an upgraded commodore.. Just because they dont wear the name, doesnt mean it isnt a commodore.

Id hate to see the platform bastardised.

Considering gm spent a billion dollars on the zeta platform, how much do you think theyd want to sell it for?

#7 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

frOck the haters.

I love the new commy, possibly one of the best looking cars on the market.

It's been said before, Holden finally produces a world class vehicle, probably its best ever, then screws up the plans, packs its bags & says goodbye? It'd be such a shame for all that r&d to go to waste, & I for one would love for a (filthy rich) independent to pick up the ball & run with it to see the commodore produced even in limited numbers.
Sure the price would rise per unit.
Maybe only HSV versions could be built? Totally not profitable I know but I admire anyone with a vision that wants to keep the game going.

#8 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Totally agree with the last two comments ....    The HSV Commodore (R8, Malloo, Senator, GTS)  is World class ...  But let's not forget, that the World has changed..  substance is not as important as show anymore ...   some people think a BMW symbol is a mark of success, even if it is the base model ...  I don't care how rich or special in my own mind I may become.........  I wan't a HSV VF Series 2 Supercharged Commodore Clubsport GTS-R more than anything else at the moment ...  :)

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

I hate the "not a commodore" argument.

Its like arguing semantics...

Its a commodore Ute and an upgraded commodore.. Just because they dont wear the name, doesnt mean it isnt a commodore.

Id hate to see the platform bastardised.

Considering gm spent a billion dollars on the zeta platform, how much do you think theyd want to sell it for?

It isn't an argument, it is simple fact. A VU onwards ute is not a Commodore, end of story. Neither were V2 or VZ Monaro, or Statesman. Even Calais are not Commodores.

#10 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

It's an irritating fact then ;). All Commodores to me ...

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Holden VZ Commercial range 2004. The Commodore name is not used even once in the sales booklet.

Attached Files

#12 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

If you were buying a Fridge, and it was advertised as an Oven, could you tell the difference ....    Jezzus..  An R8 four door clubsport is a fridge not an oven ..  :)

#13 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

I like the fact my VE SS Holden ute is not a commodore,lol.

#14 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

:)   

Holden Special Vehicles
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) is the officially designated performance vehicle partner of Australian automaker, Holden. Established in 1987 and based in Clayton, Victoria, the company modifies Holden models such as the short-wheelbase Commodore, long-wheelbase Statesman and Caprice and commercial Ute range for domestic and export sale. Over the years, has also modified other non-Holden cars within the General Motors portfolio, in very low volumes.

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Not that you can trust Wiki, but even that page distinguishes between Commodore, Ute, Statesman and Caprice.
People like to generalise, it happens but it isn't correct. HK to WB aren't all Kingswoods just like VK through to VF aren't all Commodores.

#16 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

How so Byron...   XU-1 doesn't have Torana written on it anywhere, but we all know it is a torana ...   is a HG Belmont & a Kingswood different cars...  If you count chrome around the window as distinguishing a whole new car I think you'd be splitting hairs .. 

What is a VK Blue Meanie ??  = it's a blue VK Commodore ..

IMG_1790.jpg

What is a VE Blue meanie ?? = it's a blue VE Commodore ..

HDT-VE-VK-Group-A-Performance-Drive.jpg

#17 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

How so Byron...   XU-1 doesn't have Torana written on it anywhere, but we all know it is a torana ...   is a HG Belmont & a Kingswood different cars...  If you count chrome around the window as distinguishing a whole new car I think you'd be splitting hairs .. 

What is a VK Blue Meanie ??  = it's a blue VK Commodore ..

IMG_1790.jpg

:spoton:

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

How so Byron... XU-1 doesn't have Torana written on it anywhere, but we all know it is a torana ... is a HG Belmont & a Kingswood different cars... If you count chrome around the window as distinguishing a whole new car I think you'd be splitting hairs ..

What is a VK Blue Meanie ?? = it's a blue VK Commodore ..

IMG_1790.jpg

HG Kingswood (ute, wagon or sedan) are all models. They are different models to HG Belmont ute, van, sedan or wagon. Also different model to HG Monaro, HG Monaro GTS and HG Monaro GTS350. And HG Premier sedan or wagon or HG Brougham. The only thing they have in common is they are all HG Holdens.
Go into HQ and it is the same except the tonner has no lux level name, just HQ cab chassis, and HQ Statesman different again as it loses the Holden name.
My point was people wrongly call these all Kingswoods, where yes lots of HK-WB were Kingswoods but most of the models weren't. Just like people wrongly call all VK onwards Commodores but not all are. Some like VU, V2, don't even have a Commodore in the series. Statesman sometimes shared the same series code as Commodores eg VS but Statesmans aren't Commodores.
And to me to call a HSV a Commodore is like calling an A9X a Sunbird as they share architecture.
Same deal with Ford. Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD etc aren't Falcons, but people think they are as Falcon was the volume seller like Kingswood was.

In the end I doubt it be called anything like Commodore if GM sold the platform. It'd get a new name.

#19 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Byron, i really think your splitting hairs.... but to simplify things a little....  What are the two blue cars above your last post...  they are commodores, just like GTHO are Falcons...  doesn't matter what options or handle you give them ....   although i;m not sure, but i think from memory VU Holden S utes have a Commodore badge on the front guard ..    

Take the Statesman for example..  Deville, Caprice and Grange are all Statesmans...  just different level of fitment....

Holden even advertise the Commodore range as Evoke, SV6, SS, SS-V, Calais, Calais V...   different names same car....  to me just like a HG Belmont, Kingswood and Premier....  just different levels of fitment...   

I'm not saying your wrong Byron......  Just saying you might be mistaken ....   :stirpot:

About time for a new name anyway .....  cheers mate ..    The all new Holden Chaos .....  hmmmm     na  :)

#20 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

That's because it's a Crewman. 4" longer in the wheel base than a Statesman. Drives like a dream. (I have one). Different car completely to a Commodore...............steeped in luxury. :D

#21 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:07 AM

I have a 6.0 2006 Crewman, I just call it the "Bogan Limo".

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

Toyota Camry and Aurion.  I wonder if Aurion owners hate their cars being referred to as a Camry???

#23 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Things are given names, in this case by the manufacturer. If we use the correct name when discussing them, people know what we are talking about.

I thought that the model of most of the HK-HG and HQ-WB range was actually "Holden" as per the original? I.e. Holden (model) by Holden (manufacturer), as opposed to Commodore by Holden or Torana by Holden. Kingswood, Belmont, SL, SS, Berlina are all sub-models or luxury levels, whereas Calais, Ute, Statesman are top-level models distinct to Commodore (albeit sharing large amounts of Commodore construction especially Calais).

edit: actually calling the manufacturer "Holden" is probably a shorthand too, its really General Motors Holdens (GMH). GMH Holden / GMH Torana / GMH Commodore / GMH Calais / HSV Clubsport is possibly less confusing?

Edited by 76lxhatch, 29 December 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#24 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

And to me to call a HSV a Commodore is like calling an A9X a Sunbird as they share architecture.

This makes sense to me.

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

XU-1 still has Torana on the compliance late. HG Belmont does not have Kingswood on the compliance plate.

XU-1 is a Torana. HG Belmont is not a Kingswood. 

Same goes for all the rest after that. VQ statesman has Statesman on teh compliance plate, not Commodore....

Its really not that hard to understand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users