quick wiper question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:48 PM

hi all just a quick one,

my wipers dont work. i though it was the switch. so i replaced it (3 times now) and they still dont work, all 4 of the terminals are getting 12 volt is this right? how do i the test switch.

please shed some light on this someone please..........

cheers

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

Check the wiper motor itself. Is power getting there? Also check the earth strap on the wiper motor.

#3 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

earth strap is good and the wiper is only gettin 12 volts in one of the 4 terminals of the plug. so im stumped, anyone else has a suggestion? also new problem, my handrbrake light stays on even after i dis engage the handbrake.

when will these problems end????

cheers

#4 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

anyone?

these problems are still being problematic......

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

The handbrake could be an easy one.. You'll find a little switch at the top of the handbrake arm "holder"... its the same as a door light switch. Pull a little bit on the handbrake lever and see if the light turns off, otherwise have a look at the switch.

Its just a metal housing with a spring inside it and the plastic stem. On the bottom of the plastic stem clips a crimp lug and this lug contacts the metal housing of the switch ( which is in contact with the rest of teh car through the bracket its located in) and closes the circuit and illuminates the light.

In mine the spring popped out of the holder and made contact with the lug thus keeping the damn light on!

There bloody cheap to buy ( the switches) so have a look there! Good luck!

As for the wipers... No idea sorry!

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Was hoping you would have a response to this thread, never had wiper motor probs, so never had to work out what was happening there.
What I would do.......the yellow wire should definitely have 12v on it, it appears that the switch joins the white and blue wires together and the black and white wires together for 1st and 2nd speeds, so would be checking with a multimeter that is what the switch is doing, not sure on the function that the earth connection to the switch plays here.
Sorry cant be of more help.

#7 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:10 AM

thanks for that tiny, will have a look in the morning as the hadbrake was giving mew a few headaches and i might have disturbed somthing under there

as for the starter ill take your advice devils advocate and try to make things work, what puzzels me most is that it was working fine and then stopped, wish i was a sparkey.......

anyone else?

cheers

#8 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:53 AM

Most common thing I've found is the switch isn't screwed in tight enough to the dash (not earthing) and therefore doesn't work - or works intermittantly...

#9 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

I think depending on the model you should have power to the motor all the time and the switch just supplies the earth circuit. Inside the motor there are 3??? little metal strips (contacts) that run on copper tracks or slip rings (hard to explain) allows power to flow on a turning surface, but if they are broken or loose then your motor wont work. Be worth checking. Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users