Want to get in to circuit racing

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Hey guys,

All ways wanted to do some racing as a hobby but don't know the requirements for my car I'm not to keen on putting roll cage in my UC

And has anyone seen a cool UC as circuit car?

#2 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

LOL I'm yet to see / highly doubtful there's such a thing as a cool uc...   Nobody in their right mind would bother converting one into a race car, Unless of coarse you count demo derby as racing......  :stirpot:

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 21 January 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#3 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Sorry but that reply was always coming.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Elitist frOckheads. 

Ignore them. 

There are several disciplins you can compete in without a cage. A UC could be quiet competitive in a variety of classes, circuit racing is cool but big $$$ so look up some Cams regulated Motorkhana/khanacross or maybe Street spring/hillclimb events and the clubs that run them in your area. 

I was doing up a UC for motorkhana/khanacross, but picked up my current Mini instead. Often wish I had kept the UC. 

Cheers. 

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Elitist frOckheads. No there just telling you how it is brother

Ignore them. 

There are several disciplins you can compete in without a cage. A UC could be quiet competitive in a variety of classes, circuit racing is cool but big $$$ so look up some Cams regulated Motorkhana/khanacross or maybe Street spring/hillclimb events and the clubs that run them in your area. 

I was doing up a UC for motorkhana/khanacross, but picked up my current Mini instead. Often wish I had kept the UC. 

Cheers. 

No there just telling you how it is brother

#6 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

As per  Bombers advice.........

mate, just join a local car club ( try and find one who is CAMS affiliated) and have a go.

You can start as a beginner and most clubs run some sort of ""come and try"" events where you can be mentored by someone whos been around racing for years. Sure, it sounds a bit daggy, but these guys will give you Gold when it comes to techniques for your local track...help you get cornets right first go, that otherwise may have taken you ages to figure out.

As for the UC...remember one P.Brock started in a an A30!

Edited by RallyRed, 21 January 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#7 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

A30 has more cred than a UC Col lol

#8 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

ha ha ....hard marker Gene!

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

frOck me guys the younge bloke is expessing an interest in motorsport. 

Everyone bar RAllyred has been a complete total and utter cockwit towards the por lad. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH A UC, particularly considering basically every LH/LX has a UC front end under it now days......

Plus, what would you prefer to see him tap a wall in? It will happen, trust me haha. 

FFS I run a bog stock suzuki swift that I payed $150 for, gutted, found $12.50 in change unde the seats etc whilst gutting, fitted a spare race seat and harness to and went out and got 1st place outright at the first motorkhana I entered it into. 

I recon a UC has a bit more cred than a 91 5 door "barina". I always wear a full faced helmet so no one knows its me driving it   :ph34r:

But FFS i've had some fun in that car. 

I have learnt more in a couple of years of amateur motorsport than I did in 10 years of driving on the streets, incl driving trucks. 

Every wanker is over in another thread winging and bitching about how shit every driver on the road is, yet when someone expresses and interest in competing in a form of motorsport and improving there skills all you shallow, jealous wankers can do is put shit on his frOcking car?

Hang your frOcking heads in shame. 

OP: Motorkhana/khanacross might seem a bit lame, Motorkhana especially, rarely get out of first gear and most of its at like 50kph max, but everything is very tight and technical, and all you have is some flags layed out on a bit of tarmac or gravel or grass whatever and a drawing of which way to go, so its a game of memory as well as driving ability, takes a lot more than 4-5 laps of a race track to get somewhat competent on that particular track to get reasonably quick at Motorkhanas. And because the straighs are so short and the corners are in most cases up to your imagination so long as you go around the flag the right way you really, really learn how to most effectively enter and exit a corner, whilst trying to remember which way your supposed to go around the next flag, and where the bastard is, so you can set yourself up for that jigger. 

Plus, its so cheap. For me atleast club membership is $35 a year, license is $65 a year, no special safety gear required bar a motorbike helmet for khanacrosses, and event entry is usually around the $40 mark. 

Find me a cheaper form of motorsport?

Edited by Bomber Watson, 21 January 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#10 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Settle DJ where taking the piss mate you of all people should know better
you been here long enough

#11 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Yes but the OP hasnt. 

#12 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys I'm going to look into it a bit more

#13 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Hi Josh

Look for a local club that has a focus on club level motorsport (as outlined by Bomber & RallyRed). Most entry level motorsport events only require you to have a car club membership & a CAMS L2S licence. For a L2S you just need to complete the form & have it endorsed by your club. Apparel is generally neck to ankle coverage in cotton (e.g. overalls) and an approved helmet. No synthetic shoes. So getting started can be fairly cheap. You could run your Torana in hillclimbs, super sprints (lap dashes) motorkhanas, Regularity etc etc. Super sprints & Regularity events will get you onto the track at places like Lakeside, Morgan Park, Queensland Raceway etc - depending where you are located.

Car Clubs will offer you all the help, advice & encouragement you require. Just find one that regularly runs 'speed' events and participates with other similarly orientated clubs. Often car clubs will band together to fun a series of events throughout the year.

Hope this helps.

Steve

#14 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

PS. Most club level speed events will require very few mods to your car:

If it is road worthy you are pretty much there.

You will probably need a secondary means of securing the bonnet - this can be achieved with a strap - no need to drill holes. You would need to tape up head light glass, two return springs on carby, battery location triangle, possibly a fire extinguisher.

Edited by Dodgey, 21 January 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Fire extinguisher is requied in all cams level events, size varies. 

Apart from that pretty well nailed it. 

Im a Cams Bronze level scrutineer, so I can scrutineer everything up to a state event, and do national events as an assistant scrutineer. 

For local events I give the battery a wiggle to make sure its secured, check the fire extinguisher is in date and mounted properly (ABSOLTUELY NO TECH SCREWS OR POP RIVETS!!!), have a quick look at the firewall for holes into the cabin, quick look underneath for drips, check the helmet (aus standard bike helmet, no corrosion on the buckles or freying of the straps) and boom put the dot on the car. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 21 January 2016 - 09:04 PM.

#16 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

That reminds me..gotta get rid of the tek screws hokding the fire ext. in the LJ.
Get away with it locally..but the HSRCA guy said .."last time I pass it...no fixy...no runny next time".

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

yeah I usually let new entrants slide on a few things the first time around. 

Show up a second time with the same problem and you will see exactly how bigga asshole I am as I point you out to everyone while you put the car back on the trailer :D

#18 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Great advice Bomber and co!

Be warned, Motorsport is addictive!

#19 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

;)

Attached Files

#20 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:16 AM

few tips;

regularity is a great way to start - as  BOMBER said do the small things and do your best, if you go to the track just tell the blokes where you are and this is your first event - they will look after you.

choosing the right club - you want a club that supportive to your needs - the HSRCA qld in general are full of blokes that just like to go out and enjoy their cars and they it's low key and all the blokes who WERE wankers have just turned into old blokes who are no longer wankers !

There are heaps of clubs - just make sure its a CAMS affiliated one.

get some old rims for the UC try 6 - 7 inch and then source some old race tyre's normally they are around 50 bucks each make up a set and just change over and drive to the track - the old race tyres will go heaps better than a new set of road tyre's

CAMS license - until you need to just see if u can buy a day license at the track for the day until you really think that this is something that you want to do long term - then get your license 

just remember to smile and enjoy the experience - don't worry at HP - the colour of your car - the fact that you borrowed your brothers motor bike helmet and your dads overalls 

we all started here.

the UC has RTS in the front and better geometry 

#21 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:26 AM

Thanks guys

#22 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Autocross is also a great place to start, it's on a dirt circuit and therefore it is great for learning car control. Having a quick look there seems to be a track at Willowbank.

But as others have said, get a L2S licence, find a club that suits, bolt a fire extinguisher in the car and drive it, try a variety motorsport types (sprints, hillclimbs, autocross, motorkhana, etc) and see what suits you the best. Then you can start modifying your car to suit the discipline of motorsport you prefer. 

#23 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Peter

#24 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Dodge - nice updated pick of the mighty Lc in action

Heading to Wakefield ? Or fosc

#25 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

Grant.

Been no action since August last year!

Hoping to get to FOSC on 21/2.

I entered Wakefield but have cancelled. Tom has an enduro that weekend.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users