Want to get in to circuit racing

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 _Bushy_

_Bushy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:34 AM

Hey Josh, 

Maybe I can take a bit of heat of your UC...  I race a Gemini.

Where in QLD are you actually from mate?  Hopefully around the Brissy area.  Because that's where it is easiest.  I'm lucky enough to be in BLACKWATER just a quick 9hr drive to QLD raceway.  Like a lot of what the other guys are saying Sprints, Hill climbs and motorkhanas are a good start.  But just my thoughts....  If you are in the Brissy area you can do a number of sprint days at QR or Lakeside wi0th very little mods to your car and you only have to get a QR licence ($60 from memory) and I think you only really need to have a decent tow point front and rear of the car (I think you can just hang a D-shackle off the factory tow point... Paint it red so it is easy to see).  I don't think you even need an extinguisher but for the sake of $40 it is a good idea.  You'll need a decent helmet that complies with AS1698  and long sleeve shirt and long pants.  It costs between $135 and $175 for the event and you will get at least 20 laps and every time I've been they've always done extra laps at the end.  I would recommend the mid week sprints to start with as being mid week they are generally less bussy.  I personaly wouldn't do a hillclimb first as they can be a bit tight at least on the track you have decent run off, sand traps etc. 
​Heres a link it has dates and regs.
http://qldraceways.c...getting-started
​PM me if you want any other info or to chat about racing. 

​Good luck mate.

#27 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Good advice here mate. . This how it starts so be warned haha. Put some race rubber on, join the club of choice, get a helmet and have some fun. We run a sprint series in wa which is essentially regularity series and everyone has a ball!

Get out there and enjoy what you've got

#28 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

Apologies to the OP & any member offended by my stoopid comment...

#29 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

I think everyone except one person realised it was just a bit of light hearted humour, I know I did and hence my follow up post which was not intended to offend anyone. I it did I offer you my apologies also.

To be honest the UC is probably the most refined of the torana's, the problem is just that they chose exterior styling which was a completely new direction and not what people were accustomed to from a Torana.

#30 FNQ

FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

josh  if in BRisvegus or close to it

Holden Sporting car club organises khanacross and motorkhana.... both low speed events  and open to all despite the name http://www.hsccq.com

or go to morgan park raceway website and have a look at sprint series  ( too late for this year, but have a look at the lists/dates and come along ask questions etc )  or HRCC regularity events or qld raceways as suggested

#31 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

I think dont worry about what DJ said,he calls it as it is,go for it,just dont bend too many panels on the thing because someone might need some spares along the way.

gotta admit never been there/done that but ffs i am still upset about giving away the TE when i moved close to a stoky track..that thing would have been half not bad with 202 on the dirt....just for fun.   :)

i think he might have put too much sugar in the last one... :)

#32 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys

I know that the UC not the best out of the torana and I can take a joke guys so no worries 👍

#33 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

You should only have to take a joke about your car if you instigate shit stirring, which you haven't here.

More importantly, any motorsport you do with your car Josh, make sure you get some photos and videos and share them on the forum for us to see.

Your car looks tidy, have you posted a build thread?

#34 _78_uc_rana_

_78_uc_rana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Na I don't have a build thread yet might do one soon but she's all most done I have like one more job and then it's pretty much done

#35 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

If you start using it at the track, the project is only just starting. . .

#36 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

As above. You need to step up your ambition if you reckon you're finished with it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users