Air filter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

Just wondering what sort of air filter is best to suit a mild 350. Has to fit on a 750 holley. And its in an EH so cant be too high or the bonnet will hit.

Would cold air induction make much of a difference?

cheers

#2 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

Sampearce:

have a look at the K&N filter catalogue, All their filters flow amazing ammounts of air.
THey also have drop base filters where the base actually fits over a holley carb and down around the sides of it for better bonnet clearance.

Another one to ring and ask is unifilter. Theyre austalian made ( hornsby i belive!) and alot cheaper than a K&N.

Theyre really the only two brands i'd use.. both washable and re-usable. otherwise its just a ryco paper element for you!

Good luck.
Tiny.

#3 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

Unifilter seem to have a larger range than K&N when it comes to anything other than new cars.

I fitted a modified orginal air cleaner on the LJ wi the Unifilter element, and i though it was a bit better.

Posted Image
Steve

#4 _75LH_

_75LH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

theres lots of filters that work well but from all evidence ive ever seen,k&N is the brand to go for. I use a 4" high one in my lh. but they come smaller. I recommend buying a package that comes with a base plate,filter and filter top plate instead to the typical non-filter top plate. For your 350 thats the best way to fit it under your bonnet without compromising air loss.

Alot of sbc are mounted differently in toranas so your going to have to just judge it yourself to which size is going to fit in. Try to have the filter ending up inside the bonnet scoop if you can as the airs better in there.
You can view at k&n's website or www.summitracing.com has just about any part.

#5 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hi sampearce,
Another filter option, (that I have used, and seen fitted to a few cars at work)
RamFlo Lynx filters,
can get a base fitting that clamps around the top of your carby throat,
is low rise and high air flow,
Have a look at the link below,
I was running the 400CFM model on a 350 holley.
http://www.racetep.com/ramflolynx.html

Cheers
Chris.

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

K&N 14x3" drop base would be the most popular way to go about it, looking at around $165 for a brand new unit. An alternative is the new range of X-Stream air filters from K&N which draw air through the top of the air filter as well as the sides.

#7 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

I've got a 9x5" K&N on my LX. It pokes through into the A9X scoop which is what I was after.

As others have said, uni-filter is also good. You mainly see them where there is no lid on top, eg trumpts

Posted Image

#8 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

the k&n x-stream filters are what you need for performance gains, we tried a filter top on my 14x3 filter and it made over 10kw gain in power at the wheels before we tuned the carby, im saving my pennies so i can buy one!!!

#9 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

I had a Ramflo filter many moons ago on my old 202 and personally i wouldnt use one again.

I used it straight out of the box ( no oil on the foam element.. didnt say it needed any?).. And i found ALOT of large particles resting on the filter base and the noise of the carby sucking... Man! I may as well have had NO filter on there!

I'd stick with unifilter or K&N. Unifilter is aussie made, so maybe they could custom make something if you needed to go that far!

Best of luck
Tiny.

#10 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

your ment to oil RAMFLO's, tiny!!!! and how can you complain about the noise of you carby breathing in air!!!! whats the saying?........ if it's to loud your to old?......... how old are you tiny! lol just kidding...

#11 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

Milco, I was about 17 or 18 at the time.. it was the "fully sik" thing to have on teh car when i was that age!!

I've since learnt a heap about what to do and i didnt see anywehre to oil the damn things.. LOL I woulda done that otherwise!!

Yeah i figured if i could hear the airflow that it was doing its job ( being very un-restrictive).. but i wasnt a fan of seeing grains of sand on the filter base plate! LOL! I might even still have that around somwehre.. LOL

CHeers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users