S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Some profoundly wise words from Mike 73. Possibly one of the few things he has said that is on the money.

Quote "With the engine blocks no JP stamped block had any differences to a HQ Holden though quite a few had a X marking on the inside the crankcase area, but some also had a = marking, these markings were also shared by the HQ 202 and GTR.
There is one exception to this with the very last 166 Bathurst XU-1's, while the block was still the same extra machining was required to clear the large inlet valves".

Edited by S pack, 05 March 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#52 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hi

I cut and saved this statement many years ago. I believe was from this forum, but I can't find the original thread. I don't know if it has any particular value or credibility but here it is anyway.

Note  All JP and NP engines should have a 3 cast into the block near the left hand engine mount except dual cast late ’73 JP blocks.

Dual cast blocks appear to be 20F3 and 10H3 castings.

Cheers

Bazza

#53 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Maybe a guy making the sand casting moulds gets his ass kicked by the foreman if the casting dates are hard to read, so every now and then when he doesn't like how they turn out he presses an extra one on the other side... :dontknow:

#54 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

GMH cast 200 Dual Cast 202 blocks for one months production, but only required 80.

What happens to the other 120 Dual Cast 202 blocks ?

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot, you were working at the GM-H Foundry when these blocks were made.

#55 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

You think it be as simple as that, but Harry never let on that he used the Graphite metal on things back in the day, so maybe the dual date for them JP's is it or not.

#56 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Garth,traditionally the normal method was unrelible a daub of paint and eyelet card (block code) between the block and sump next to the fuel pump........ Best thing to do is second date code.
Cheers

#57 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Maybe a guy making the sand casting moulds gets his ass kicked by the foreman if the casting dates are hard to read, so every now and then when he doesn't like how they turn out he presses an extra one on the other side... :dontknow:

Thats Bills job

#58 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Well my thinking is for these said Engine on that 150 Engine List, as a lot went into Cop Cars so the Stories go and Coppers didn't drive them like Miss Daisy, my thinking is to make them stronger, I might be way off but just thinking it.

Or a convenient way to dispose quietly of extra special blocks? Guess what though, some of the few original 150 list engines that I personally know of that only have a single date code came from Police cars. Just a theory but you never know. 

Edited by yel327, 05 March 2016 - 09:15 PM.

#59 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

Dammit Bill!

#60 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hmmm,  I guess I'll take Anthony at his word, and believe that those photos are from either sides of the same motors..   

So if JP Dual Date Cast motors exist....    what is the significance of the second cast marking, considering non Torana's have them, as well as being on 173 motors..

My thinking is that it's only importance would be for internal Company Monitoring ..  (QA)  

Everything I have ever read on Motor Identification, seems to nominate the stamped motor numbers as their identifier ......  not just on Torana's or even Holdens, but pretty much everything..   

What Identifies every other HP Motor in Holdens cars ???   correct me if i'm wrong......   but its the stamped number on the motor ..     :)

#61 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Interesting.......but somebody, somewhere must know.

If guys like Joe Felice are still happily running around with excellent recall of the details of what they personally did back in the day at GMH......then surely there is the ""Foundry guy"" somewhere too?

Must be a few, i.e. manager, supervisors, leading hands,QA people, different shift crews of blokes?

Surely at least one of them knows?....

There is that facebook page for retired Holden employees.....might as well ask on there?

#62 _rich243_

_rich243_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Gee how different is the pad thickness on these 2. I wonder which ones original

Attached File  jp386656 1.jpg   58.52K   13 downloads

Attached File  jp3744.jpg   288.37K   10 downloads

#63 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

Interesting.......but somebody, somewhere must know.

If guys like Joe Felice are still happily running around with excellent recall of the details of what they personally did back in the day at GMH......then surely there is the ""Foundry guy"" somewhere too?

Must be a few, i.e. manager, supervisors, leading hands,QA people, different shift crews of blokes?

Surely at least one of them knows?....

There is that facebook page for retired Holden employees.....might as well ask on there?

You would think someone would know but as Bruce has told us in the past you just can't trust 40 year old memories.

Anthony and Bruce do put a lot of faith in this persons memory though.

Other than this letter no official GM-H documentation can be found to support these claims of exclusive dual cast date 150 engine number list XU1 202 blocks and/or all XU1 202 blocks were cast using core pattern #3.

Attached Files

Edited by S pack, 06 March 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#64 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

Thats Bills job

you sure? thought it was Bob's..  :)

Attached File  Bob.jpg   485.99K   1 downloads

#65 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hi

I cut and saved this statement many years ago. I believe was from this forum, but I can't find the original thread. I don't know if it has any particular value or credibility but here it is anyway.

Note  All JP and NP engines should have a 3 cast into the block near the left hand engine mount except dual cast late ’73 JP blocks.

Dual cast blocks appear to be 20F3 and 10H3 castings.

Cheers

Bazza

Not all JP have casting number 3 on the side. One owner cars from factory

Cheers Jason

#66 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

Not all JP have casting number 3 on the side. One owner cars from factory

Cheers Jason

Cheers Jason. Another person who knows the truth. :spoton:

#67 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

Just curious :

What number is on yours Jason ?

What number is on yours Dave ?

#68 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

Just curious :
What number is on yours Jason ?
What number is on yours Dave ?

i

I no longer have my xu1 sold a few years ago. Mine had a 3
Number. Have a mate with a one owner car which has 2 casting.
I will ask him if i can take photos to post.

Jason

#69 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

Some photos would be great, thanks Jason.

#70 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

Some photos would be great, thanks Jason.

Like wise Bruce.......  Some photo's of yours, and Anthony's would be great.......  

#71 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:38 AM

Like wise Ian....... Some photo's of yours would be great............

#72 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

Mines only a scabby 72 JP .......  :)

Skap has photos of mine..  and right after we see photos of yours and Anthony's,  I'll be happy for Adam to show it ....  K  

#73 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:56 AM

don't hold your breath Ian....

#74 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

Yeah I think you right....

Not sure if we have the equivalent service in Australia..   But with the amount of valuable and collectable cars here, one day we will....  and as these cars change hands a trail is left, but one day they will be tested,  to see if they are what they have been sold as....   Fake cars and engines are around, in all makes Holden, Fords, Vals.. you name it.... and one by one they will be found, especially the "Special Ones" and the investigation's will trace the car back to the crook's who built them ....  

Some must be having sleepless nights already, because if they have cheated someone in the past, and so far gotten away with it.    The proof is still out there in someone's shed, just waiting to be one day Investigated ....  

Forensic Vehicle Fraud Investigations Available by Bryan W. Shook, Esquire
JULY 8, 2014 · POSTED IN NEWS

Forensic Vehicle Fraud Investigations conducted by Bryan W. Shook, Esquire

• VIN Research (Numbers Matching, Rebodies, VIN swap, etc.)
  • Fraud/Misrepresentation
  • Breach of Contract
  • Auction Misrepresentation
  • Prior Owner Research
  • Title History
  • Acid Etching (macro-etching) to raise obliterated stampings
    • Engine Numbers
    • Confidential Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN)
    • VIN derivatives
    • Serial Numbers
    • Chassis Numbers
  • Body Panel Date Codes/Run Numbers
  • Data Plate and Trim Tag/Cowl Tag Decoding
  • Pedigree/Provenance
  • Race History
  • Restoration Quality
  • Production Characteristics

Often times the true identity, authenticity, original options, RPO, VIN, production date, or assembly manner of a vehicle is unknown or perhaps it is called into question. Bryan W. Shook’s methodology and extensive network of resources assists with the accurate identification and authentication of vehicles. This same approach also aids in the identification of questionable vehicles and vehicle’s attributes, provenance, pedigree, options or characteristics.

To find the fakes and answer the questions raised by the vehicle takes time, diligence and most of all an extensive exploration of the vehicle itself and the supporting documentation, if any. Bryan Shook painstakingly researches the pedigree and provenance of the vehicles for which he is contracted to investigate or authenticate. If something is amiss, he will likely find it. Bryan Shook is available on short notice to forensically investigate or document your single car or entire collection. Many times Mr. Shook insists upon an in-person evaluation of the vehicle so that the nuances of the vehicle can be studied and recorded.

Authentication is proving (or disproving) what that the classic car is what the owner or seller says it is. To a layperson, the car’s body and presentation is what makes it recognizable. To successfully authenticate a vehicle the minutia must be evaluated such as aberrations in the font used to stamp vehicle identification numbers.

As a practicing licensed trial attorney and award winning vehicle restorer, Bryan W. Shook, relies upon his unique training in evaluating and weighing evidence when scrutinizing and interviewing locatable past owners. The final product and opinion of Bryan W. Shook is presented to the owner with all supporting documentation which can be merged into the vehicle’s dossier. If necessary and requested all communications and discoveries will be held with the strictest confidence.

Bryan W. Shook has also assembled what is believed to be the most complete database of information surrounding Pennsylvania Certificates of Title and historical title information. This knowledge base has proven invaluable in the research of historically important Pennsylvania vehicles.

#75 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Like wise Bruce.......  Some photo's of yours, and Anthony's would be great.......  

Ditto.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users