Photo

No more V8's?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Now how mi h more enjoyable was that short vid than buthurtst is now days?

#27 _eliseviv_

_eliseviv_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Id hate to tell you guys but the V8s still have a big following and still pull big crowds maybe its just the minority that dont like it anymore
its still the best racing going round atm watching it on TV is no comparison than being at the track
and imho bringing in different cars with different engines is just going to frOck it up
but we shall see what happens in the future

G'Day Gene,

I dont agree it'll Frock it up.  For sure there will be the periodic dominance of various engines and CAMS/FIA (or whoever) will fiiddle with tyres and brakes to balance it over time.  But the race will not simply be a strategy in the pits.  Having a few slower cars on the track as speed bumps adds interest and flavour to the race, and overtaking opportunties will arise more often.   

I do agree that V8s are the best there is at the moment, but they are not the best that racing can be.  The forumula is over 10 years old, and its getting tiresome.

Yes the V8 crowd will do the "pack of arseholes" dance, but seeing ferocious little 6 cyclinder jiggers (XU1s anyone) Ricers and V8s in the field will spark alot of renewed (and new) interest.  

But its all hyperthetical, and my opinions are just that.  Im sure the marketing gurus know alot about public perception, just F'all about racing.

But Ill sit on the sidelines and turn up at the local V8 rounds when they are in town, and hope that we get something better!

Cheers

Brett

#28 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Turn this up, and just listen to that nissan .... :)

#29 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

And one of my favourites .............  A Aussie Taxi up against a Factory race car... and a 4x4 supercar ....  :)    and let em rev..  ferk these rev limits ...

#30 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

and what makes that vid so good? is the sound of that awesome v8

right now one of my favourite forms of motorsport to watch is the TCM i wish there was more of it

#31 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

No, not really. 

What makes the vid awesome is the different vehicles, with totally different aerodynamics, and differnet suspension, different engines, with different hp  and torque ratings, dicing it out somewhat evenly. 

Before every spoilt child who got a trophy just for participating joined the sport and started rollign around in pit lane thumping the tarmac with there fists crying for parity. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 29 April 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#32 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

Anyone notice the Fury bluebird runs an LX sports mirror on the drivers side ?

#33 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

The volvos sound 100 times better than the rest at full noise.

I think those Volvos have too many valves per cylinder though compared to real V8's? :dontknow:

#34 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

it was great when the sierra blew plast brock under brakes.

#35 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

Im in the west and can vouch attendance was noticeable down last year at the track.
45 friggin pounds that crazy datto.

TCM rules will be getting an update again soon(suspension changes), love the series but they need to be careful as to were they are headed, they are slowly becoming a full fabricated car with a classic shell in top,

#36 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

TCM rules will be getting an update again soon(suspension changes), love the series but they need to be careful as to were they are headed, they are slowly becoming a full fabricated car with a classic shell in top,

Agree. They are definitely not what they seem.

Mount Panorama hosted the inaugural Hi-Tec Oils 6 Hour Production car race on Easter Sunday this year. This is as close as it gets to the "old days" of series production. This was a great event with a field of 50+ cars competing. The race has been confirmed for next year, unfortunately I cannot see it gaining great popularity. 16,000 attended this year.

#37 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

Im in the west and can vouch attendance was noticeable down last year at the track.
45 friggin pounds that crazy datto.

Small meets will attract small crowds Bathurst,Gold Coast,Sandown Last race in Sydney they all attract the bigger crowds
And dont forget people have to put food on tables for families before goin to the V8s

#38 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:35 AM

Mount Panorama hosted the inaugural Hi-Tec Oils 6 Hour Production car race on Easter Sunday this year. This is as close as it gets to the "old days" of series production. This was a great event with a field of 50+ cars competing. The race has been confirmed for next year, unfortunately I cannot see it gaining great popularity. 16,000 attended this year.

How does one go about finding out entry requirements and getting general info on such an event as a Hi-Tec oils 6 Hour Production car race?

#39 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

Bomber – you may have already seen some of this, but if not, here are a couple of links that may be of interest:

Bathurst 6 Hour web site – includes Competitor info & links to entry forms
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/

NSW Production Touring Cars site - includes Competitor info & links to entry forms
http://www.nswproduc...rs.com.au/race/

Speedcafe is well worth a look for your motorsport updates
http://www.speedcafe.com/

http://www.speedcafe...6/03/27/308448/

Steve

#40 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

I'm a huge touring car racing fan, but to me V8 racing is simply boring. I don't bother even watching anymore, other than Bathurst for he spectacle but even then it bores me. It isn't the cars as much as it is the rules. Too many races won by pit strategy, and by how long it takes to put fuel in your car and when you do it. Mandatory tyre changes, mandatory pad changes etc etc. Plus the cars are no longer representative of what you can buy, haven't been for over 20 years. From my perspective i'd rather see a broad cross section of cars with different strength and weaknesses. Sure limit the tyres allowed but no mandatory stuff like changing pads for no reason. It was always good to see turbo cars and NA cars (like BMW's) and V8's, maybe limit it so no AWD and it'd be fine. GroupA probably would have been fine if only rear or front drive was allowed.

#41 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

A limited selection of the cars from the 6 hour production race at Easter

Attached File  IMG_0651.jpg   210.63K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0686.jpg   182.81K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0696.jpg   242.9K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360682.jpg   126.38K   0 downloads

]Attached File  P1360683.jpg   131.35K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360688.jpg   124.2K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360690.jpg   155.49K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360814.jpg   124.97K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360886.jpg   159.32K   1 downloads

Attached File  P1360894.jpg   146.46K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360895.jpg   161.96K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360901.jpg   140.76K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360902.jpg   152.13K   0 downloads

Attached File  P1360903.jpg   167.49K   0 downloads

#42 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Ha ha ha! Are they replacing the sump gasket on the 1 series bmw hatch?? Surely it would have been black flagged for dripping oil...

#43 _dno_

_dno_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Maybe if they promoted it a little more as you have described it (This is as close as it gets to the "old days") with

modern cars. It'd gain a bit more of a following from the general public. I'd love to see them run production and

modified production back to back.  

Cars everyday people could own if they do so desire.

#44 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

Ha ha ha! Are they replacing the sump gasket on the 1 series bmw hatch?? Surely it would have been black flagged for dripping oil...

The #62 BMW had problems in practice on Saturday - put a rod out the side of the motor. They came to Sydney to source a replacement motor but ended up with a whole car. Brought the car back to the track and spent Saturday night & Sunday morning swapping out the motors. The race car made the start at the back of the grid but was in the pits again at the end of lap 1. They had oil & coolant problems throughout the race. But they never gave up trying to sort it. That's what production car racing is all about!! 

#45 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

Great pics. If they bring turbos back into it then everyone can use a turbo. What would a 351 or 308 do with 45 pounds of boost, that would spice things up.

Regards

#46 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:59 AM

Production car racing as you have shown above is far more interesting. A variety of cars and based on production cars that we can buy just like Torana's and Falcons where. I think the old channel 7 Bathurst commentators like Mike Raymond and Garry Wilkinson said it best when interviewed on how today's racing compares.

Raymond described it as "sterile", sure its far better tv coverage but the drivers have no character, the cars are not cars you can buy so its all pretty boring to watch vs what "we had" where the cars that raced where based on cars we could buy. Wilkinson and Raymond also repeated that back then you never new who was going to make it to the end and win the race. It was the period that made tin tops very popular.This weekend the V8's are here in Perth but even with free tickets on offer its not something that interests me in the slightest. Yet I will go watch targa west, production cars, mcm, F1's, speedway, drags, bikes etc. To me the whole V8 supercar thing is just not relative to anything,its not unlike nascar which I also find extremely boring. Hell back in the old group c days  I would have given my first born child and my testicles to go.

Cameron

#47 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Great pics. If they bring turbos back into it then everyone can use a turbo. What would a 351 or 308 do with 45 pounds of boost, that would spice things up.

Regards

They'd all fall apart

#48 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

but as long as they stuck together, they would frighten the B-Jesuzzz out of most everything else ......    Imagine how fast George Fury's Bluebird would have been with a twin turbo 308 ...  :)

#49 8BALL

8BALL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:..
  • Car:yep

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

Rumors of Volvo bailing from the series after this year....
So all thats left of new manufacturers is Nissan.

#50 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

That would be sad as they are doing reasonably well with Scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users