Injected 8 in a torry

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

I am thinking of putting an Injected Vn308 in my hatch when I Rebuild it and I would like to know what is the law about cat converters etc.
Can I just throw the heads and injection on a black motor and then meet the adr requirments for a 85 model motor OR.... do I still have to comply with the injection system emissions?

Is there much Difference between the two bottom ends?

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

complience shouldbe in line with engine no. please correct me if wrong.

never liked cats, more of a dog lover myself.

#3 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

where adr27a is applied what alx76 said is correct.
a hatch is bound by adr27a so yes you have to have all pollution gear that the engine had from the factory

#4 _LJ308injected_

_LJ308injected_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

I have a LJ with an injected motor well block is a HQ non pollution and i didnt need cat's.
But LJ's are non pollution anyhow use a early block and you should be right mate and if not just gutt the cat's anyway easy done.

Cheer's - Steve

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Yeah you guys are correct.

The emissions controls must be the same as the engine came with.

If its a late model engine out of a VN as you say.. then Yep youve gotto do it!

IF however you retrofit an injection setup to the original block... then cats arent neccesary! It all comes down the the date when you do a search against the engine number!

Cheers

#6 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Tiny's correct,

It all relates to the ADR that the engine has to comply to, not what year the car is.

#7 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

Thanks guys, I thought as much but just wanted to check before I started parting with the hard earned :D

#8 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

heres a question for you guys about adr what happens if your engine block is no longer useable and its an early engine block and you cant find another early block so your only choice is that you have to use an efi block what then.
this topic is very grey.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

^ why is it grey.
i thought it would be black and white, as above ^^^

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Hi Guys.

There's nothing 'grey' here, it's fairly straight forward.

If you have say a 1977 car, you can't fit an earlier engine, but you can fit a later engine. If you fit a later engine you must comply with the ADRs for that later engine. If you fit say a VN/VP EFI V8, there's not much to comply with. Your 1977 car already has a vapour canister & you will need the gear that comes with the EFI V8. Apart from the cats there isn't much else, it would be easier than trying to fit all the old ADR27A gear anyway.

Dr Terry.

#11 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

Im saying what happens if i replace 308 in my lx with efi304 and dont run the efi but run a carby what adrs does this have to comply with the engines adr or the cars adr.

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

Tiny's correct,

It all relates to the ADR that the engine has to comply to, not what year the car is.

^^^^^^^^^^

#13 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

Do the later injection style heads fit on the old 253/308 blocks though?? And how hard is it to adapt fuel injection (standard 304 style) to an older block?

Cheers
Keith

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

replace cam and direct bolt on.
carefull with cam lift and 253 for valve to bore clearence.

#15 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Tiny's correct,

you are not totally correct.
pre 72cars dont have to comply to this adr as i have already stated

#16 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Not sure about Vic or anywhere else but in the ACT cats are not required with an EFI conversion to the 77 LX Torry. I know this because I checked with Tech services at our motor registry before I converted mine.

What I do have to do though is present the car at the engineers (again) and he will ammend my engineering certificate (a fee apply's) and then present the car over the rego pits here and another fee apply's :)

Seems everyone has their hand in your pocket when it comes to conversions and rego.

Cheers
Herne

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

so we all get our torys regoed in the ACT then transfer it to your own states.
finnally canberra comes up with the goods :spoton:

#18 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Here in SA it goes by the year of manufacture of the engine, & it doesn't matter if it is a pre ADR27 car or not.

The engine year is simply taken from the engine number (from this people should be able to work out what to do to suit them).

If you fit a ADR 37 engine to an early you are required to fit cat converters & a carbon canister.

If you use an early block to replace a late model block you are required to supply a statutory declaration to the rego authority stating that all parts used in the reconditioning process are compliant for the year of the engine, & that it will meet the appropriate ADR requirements.

They assume if you are a late engine number in an early vehicle then you have also fitted the correct ADR components to go with the package.

It all goes by the engine number so if you deck the block then there's no engine number & a new replacement number can be issued by the appropriate people.

The rego authorities do'nt use engine casting date codes.

A bit of reading between the lines will answer some queries.

#19 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Well Said toranamuk! Cheers :)

#20 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

I believe Toranamuk is correct. Al, may pay to ask the exhaust dude when you get your exhaust fitted up. For your sake, I hope you don't need em, cause even the generic units are $330 each.

#21 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

An extra bit i didn't mention was that ADR 37 requirements was for a 26.5mm fuel filler neck restrictor to be fitted.

MOST rego authorities now do not enforce this, as now all you can purchase is unleaded fuels at commercial retail outlets (servo's).

Saves us some extra work on a common conversion.

#22 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

So the injected heads do fit the early blocks, now for the big question, how hard is it to adapt the fuel injection from a 304 to the older motor? It cant simply be a straight bolt on otherwise every man and his dog would have it...

Cheers
Keith

#23 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

I believe Toranamuk is correct. Al, may pay to ask the exhaust dude when you get your exhaust fitted up. For your sake, I hope you don't need em, cause even the generic units are $330 each.

Pat, first thing I did was check with Gerry who then checked with his boss. I believe I am right in this instance for the ACT.

Thats all I am gonna say on this.

Herne

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

I think it depends alot on who you get on the day. Yours is a little different in that it is injection on a red/blue block. I had to comply with 27A because my red motor has a HZ pollution inlet manifold, then an additional charcoal cannister for good luck for the drop tank.

Unfortunately the engine conversion regs are pretty consistent across Australia.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 07 August 2006 - 07:57 PM.

#25 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

Trev reckons your not going to need em either, so sounding like you don't need em. Good for you, damn spensive bits of shit that end up blocking up anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users