LH rear seat base

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _L31SLR_

_L31SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

G'day all
Can anyone tell me if there are supposed to be hooks on the floor where the rear of the back seat mounts to retain the back of the rear seat base?(I am not talking about the seat back but the back/rear of the seat base!!?? Confused yet!!??)
I can see that the seat slips fairly tightly over the box section at the front and is then screwed through the bracket making the seat really well mounted at the front but the back/rear of the base moves around and sought of pivots and flexes when an adult gets in and out of the back seat.
If there are hooks or retainers can someone please take a picture of them and where they are mounted so I can try and find out what happened to mine!
Cheers again
L31SLR
PS Is there supposed to be spacers where the seat back is bolted to the floor with the seat belt brackets so the seat back comes out further and holds the back/rear of the seat base in?

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

The bit your bum goes on is the seat. The bit your back rests on is the squab. Hope this helps to clear things up.

#3 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

no, the back seat base is only held in by the two screws at the front of it.
the rear of it slips down under the 'squab' and is pressed in at the front (sort of a resistance fit), and then held down with the two screws
cheers
dave

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

the rear of it slips down under the 'squab' and is pressed in at the front (sort of a resistance fit), and then held down with the two screws

The seatbelt restraint bolts yes?

The Seat has to be removed when the Squab is installed so that you can get access to those two bolts that also restrain the Seat Belts.

I've never seen a Seat actually screwed/bolted in to be honest. I've only seen the seats sitting on there. They do tend to move around a tiny bit but it doesn't overly bother me.

At the end of the day, nothing has to be bolted down. My car was pretty boganized by the last owner, but I mean it was still used as a family car. Anyway, I literally pulled my rear seat & squab out in about 20 seconds and I didn't even know what I was doing. :D

The only 'hooks' I can picture are the ones that hold the squab in. You need to lift the seat up and it will pop off those hooks.

If you want any pics of something, I've got no interior atm so just ask.

Edited by Heath, 06 August 2006 - 03:17 PM.

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

"At the end of the day" Vic Roads would want it secure to the car.

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

Didn't even cross my mind. Would they be checking things like that in Roadworthy Inspections/Tests?

In that case I should probably find some screws for the seat. Don't even know what I'm looking for lol.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

Damn good question. I think the back section (of the botom bit) is supposed to clip into some round pipe looking sections. Be damned if I can get mine into em. Yup two screws in the front section through the boxed frame section (I don't have them in).

If anybody know's how to bend, wrestle, etc. to get these sections in to the tube section bits, I'm all ears. Might actually have a read of the manuals/parts books see if they are bent or something.

Can totally relate the to the seatbelt muching rear seat. Damn annoying.

#8 _L31SLR_

_L31SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

It looks like we are getting to the root of the problem now! I am talking about the rear of the seat section not the squab.(Thanks rodoman) On the very ends of the seat frame at the very back of the seat there are these little right angled hooks. Are these the ones that you are talking about Yella SLuR and if so where are the little round tubes? Are they mounted to the floor? Could you take a picture of them? I will get the camera out tomorrow and take a picture of the hooks that I am talking about.
Cheers
L31SLR

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

They may be hooks there L31SLR, and yup, the right angled bits of spring wire on the back bottom of the seat. Despite moments of extreme desire and a willingness to rise above the seats resistance to sit in em, I've had no luck thus far. Even convincing with pinchbar and blocks of wood haven't worked.

Will have bit of a read tonight and report back.

I'm not going to attempt mine again till summer when the weather is warmer, and the days longer. I get the feeling from my experiences that once they stop being fitted to the hooks/tubes/fitting, then the spring steel starts springing beyond the point of no return. I hope not.

Keep us informed of how you go, I'll do the same.

#10 _50SLO_

_50SLO_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

Don't know if this will help you at all, but this is a pic of the rear of my LH.. no "tubes" to be seen here, however all I had to do was slightly bend the hook thinkings on the seat base up, and the slotted behind the seat back, put a couple of bolts in the front and the seat sits right and thankfully doesnt pop out like it used to.

Posted Image

Unfortunatly I cant seem to find a pic of the actually seat it self. If I find it I'll post it up.

#11 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

From that pic it looks like the hooks on the floor have been removed this is where the springs at the base of the seat clip into (just push the front edge of the squab in with your knees when fitting and then just 2 screws on the front to hold it down) The hooks should look similar to the ones that hold the seat back up on (near the parcel shelf) Same deal to fit the seat back as well, clip into the hooks on the springs and 2 screws at the base.

#12 _50SLO_

_50SLO_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

If the hooks were removed who-ever did it, did a damn fine job, as theres not even a mark left behind as to where they would have been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users