Thoughts on King springs

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hey everyone,
Just took my LH into the mechanics to find out why the car was on a slight tilt. Turns out the king springs I had put in it (lowered springs all round) have sagged, especially on the drivers side front and the rears.
Has anyone had the same or similar experience with Kings?
Are there any other brands you would recommend?

Also we had new Monroe shocks put in at the same time and they are OK so it's definitely the springs

#2 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

Find that a bit hard to believe mate.
Are you certain the mechanic has diagnosed correctly?
Did he remove the springs from the car and take measurements?

#3 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

We'll be swapped the left and right rears which has fixed the worst of it that I can see. Hes a quality mechanic, never lead me astray before, and he told me he's seen king springs sag in the past.

So I'm thinking it's either a bad batch, or I'll swap brand of springs. The mechanic recommended Lowell.....maybe I'll head to a pedders and get their opinion....

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

Unless your unlucky to get a bad batch I'd say your issue lays elewhere

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Dont get Pedders get Lovells way better springs

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Bugger. I'll have to agree with you. :furious:

#7 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

It's possible a spring wasn't in its seat correctly and when swapped the issue was inadvertently sorted.

Not questioning the quality of your mechanic, just trying to save you laying out dough unnecessarily.

IMHFO, kings are a quality spring.

#8 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Yeah I haven't heard a bad word about kings either, I query him as to if the spring wasn't seated correctly and he said they definitely are.
I remember the ride was sweet for 6 months before the tilt started too, they've only been in for 12 months
Anyway it's pretty good at the moment, I may keep an eye on it and see what they do. If the tilt returns I'll look into Lovells

#9 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

As above no issues with King's, used in a lot of our club cars.

#10 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

I'd agree with don't get Pedders, but I'm not sure that Lovells are all that great either.

i bought a set of fronts for the LH and they didn't fit.  The internal diameter of the bottom of the springs were too small and wouldn't sit over the hump in the lower control arms.  I rang Lovells with the dimensions and they said that they should fit but after some discussion sent me to their expert on the other side of Melbourne for him to check them.  I brought my springs and control arms to that guy who agreed with me that they were never gunna fit.  Don't know how the Lovells guy could say the dimensions were correct.  Luckily the suspension guy had another set there that were made correctly and fit so I bought a second set of springs to get me out of trouble.

The Lovells were bought through Rares who wanted to know whether the springs had been fitted to a car before they'd give a credit so I hope Rares didn't just put them back on the shelf to become someone else's problem.  There's another example posted somewhere on these forums where a guy could get his Lovells to sit over the hump in the lower control arms as well.

Next time I'd say I'll be buying Kings springs.

#11 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:00 AM

I'd stick with kings - ring the manufacture and get them tested for poundage - check the height once on the ground un sprung.

It may be that there was a mix up with springs of certain poundage.

if there new then i would take the correct steps to get then out , tested and if necessary get another set if they were found to be faulty  - even if the car had to sit on a hoist for 6 days while it was done.

the king spring is a good spring for a Race application and has less coils per inch to allow lowered cars to have more travel compared to other springs that I looked at.

for a road car it's no different just the poundage is less on the spring.

good luck

G

Edited by Agent 34, 20 August 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#12 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

^^ I agree with Grant.

Talk to Kings. They make a quality product.

Ask them to test your springs to confirm if there is a problem.

#13 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:03 AM

the king spring is a good spring for a Race application and has less coils per inch to allow lowered cars to have more travel compared to other springs that I looked at.

An example of what Grant is referring to (for information):

Attached File  P1340754.jpg   202.19K   14 downloads

#14 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

lawn could do with a trim steve ?

#15 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

If the springs were swapped from one side to the other and the car is now ok what's wrong with the springs?

Is it sitting at a different height all round now than before?

#16 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

Dn't some spring makers allow for the extra weight of a driver and have a left and right so the car is level when driving?

#17 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:16 PM

Dn't some spring makers allow for the extra weight of a driver and have a left and right so the car is level when driving?

A few like to have the driver side 10mm -1/2" taller. Depends on the brand and depends on if requested on order.
I personally always like to setup my cars even front n back without driver. So when the car is parked you don't get idiots telling you the car is leaning

#18 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:57 PM

I'd agree with don't get Pedders, but I'm not sure that Lovells are all that great either.

i bought a set of fronts for the LH and they didn't fit. The internal diameter of the bottom of the springs were too small and wouldn't sit over the hump in the lower control arms. I rang Lovells with the dimensions and they said that they should fit but after some discussion sent me to their expert on the other side of Melbourne for him to check them. I brought my springs and control arms to that guy who agreed with me that they were never gunna fit. Don't know how the Lovells guy could say the dimensions were correct. Luckily the suspension guy had another set there that were made correctly and fit so I bought a second set of springs to get me out of trouble.

The Lovells were bought through Rares who wanted to know whether the springs had been fitted to a car before they'd give a credit so I hope Rares didn't just put them back on the shelf to become someone else's problem. There's another example posted somewhere on these forums where a guy could get his Lovells to sit over the hump in the lower control arms as well.

Next time I'd say I'll be buying Kings springs.

Old post but just worked out I got same issue with a set of Lovells I bought about 2 years ago, they don't fit the seat in the lower control arm, ID of spring is 86mm, the originals are over 90mm. Very frustrating! 

Edited by tuxedoss, 12 November 2023 - 05:02 PM.

#19 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:30 PM

That is pretty pathetic. Can you get a partial refund and just grind them out so they clear? Would only be a 15min job with a carbide burr I expect.

#20 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 12 November 2023 - 10:36 PM

I already had a go at one of them with the die grinder , getting close to fitting but not real happy with that . Going to call kings tomorrow and see what the specs on their springs are

#21 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2023 - 04:24 PM

Not Torana related, but my young bloke had a set of Tough Dog coil springs in the front of his Patrol for twelve months, and when we pulled them out one was an inch shorter than the other. Made of chinesium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users