Rare Spares Prices and the KNOB!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

I did this at the bottom but it needs to be said about the gear knobs available now at $43.65.
2 Things that need to be said,
1. The pic supplied by Les is the same one on Ebay by Monowai or whatever he calls himself at $38/40 each.
2. I dont buy off Rare Spares unless I can get 3 things together as the minimum ship postage of $12 turns me off. I needed 2 gaskets for front blinkers on a LC , a sticker etc etc all under $20 total and I get penalised by $12 for shipping. If Rares Spares changed the post system to a more happy middle ground they would sell more...especially the small things.
Now I am off the buy the knob off Ebay at $40 plus $7 shipping (still over the top) and saved $7 on the deal..Sorry mate, it is a commercial reality that RS needs to address.
(climbs down off soap box)
R

#2 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

Yeah I have to agree. This monowai bloke has alot of rare spres packaged items for less than rares sell them. How does this work, his shipping prices are reasonable too.
I understand that rares spares would have high overhaeds but how can they be more expensive than someone selling their stock? or is this bloke a rip off of rares?

EDIT: Sorry wrong bloke. The ebayer I am thinking of sells door and window rubbers and is from Queensland.

Edited by ChiaLX, 08 August 2006 - 10:53 PM.

#3 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

I bought some LJ front amber lenses off him, correct me if I am wrong but I think he's a Rare Spares Dealer?

#4 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Sorry double take!

Edited by 2600s, 09 August 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#5 _G-Train_

_G-Train_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

Carefull with the Ebay reseller that sells RS Rubbers.

I bought a full set and the door rubbers don't fit?

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

None of them do.
R

#7 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

hey , there is nothing wrong with the rubbers according to RS , "but we've got this stuff called rubber magic. You'll need a can of that @ $20 per can and you'll be right....

#8 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

This monawia or whatever it is is obviously a RS dealer. There is another bloke on there doing the same, only he was palming off knobs at $99 till I emailed him and pointed out the fact I could buy them from RS for half the price. That sort of thing shits me. oh I'll just go down to RS, buy one and put it on EBAY and hope some moron is stupid enough to buy it at double the price, yeah right.

#9 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

RED, you are on the money. I see it all the time. Especially with ashtray fascias,gts steering wheels and so on. Annoys me big time , but alot of ebayers are oblivious to the fact you could get things cheaper from other avenues.

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

GO,
They are too LONG!!..you need to take about 3 inches out of them..even with the good goop fit stuff.
R

#11 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Jeeze I bought mine 17 years ago for a lx sedan and they were a perfect fit! what went wrong?? I need a pair for the hatch and might have to go elsewher if the rares ones dont fit.

#12 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

maybe the rubbers are good. My doors may have shrunk..

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Chia,
LC/J 2 door here..
Go,
Thats REALLY funny!! :clap:
R

#14 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

Youre right R. If the top back corner is fitted up , and the pins are in place around the door lock area , there is too much rubber left between the 2 points. Its tends to want to fall out of its groove all the time....if you follow..

#15 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

To fix....I got mine down to the front bottom corner....cut it...took a needle and thread...stitched it...then glued it with a rubber melting glue to stick together...seemed to work...used the extra 3 inches of rubber to stop the dash rattling... :huh:
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users