Photo

LS1 LS3 detailed conversion thread anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name:Adrian Haynes
  • Car:1974 LH

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Guys i've had a bit of a look but I am interested if there is a really comprehensive thread on doing the LS3 conversion into an LX with either manual or auto gearbox somewhere.

I'm still tossing up about stroking the 308 I have or going down the LS3 route.

I am hoping someone who has done it has detailed the process and pitfalls and where to buy the engine mounts/sump etc etc

Hoping one of you forum gurus (with nothing better to do with your time ha ha) would know which would be the best thread out of the 47 million on here for me to have a look at.

Cheers in advance.

Adrian

#2 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

Dirtbags thread on converting a UC to LX has great info of the LS conversion. Go the LS motor, you will never look back, not easy but worth it.

#3 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

So I can just get you to come and do it all for me Brett? Geez you're a good bloke.

You can throw a splash of paint on it too while you're at it.

Thanks for the heads up mate I appreciate it.

#4 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Ignore the numb-nut above's advice, go the 355 path... :-)

#5 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

I regret the LS route and wish i went Chev or Holden based

Saying that, it isn't running/drive yet so i may change that when i have some trouble free cheap hp cruising :)

#6 _fli304_

_fli304_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

Ls3 all the way. If i could have my time again I would custom make engine mounts and gearbox mounts. Off the shelf stuff that they say fit no probs arnt really that great. Good luck

#7 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

Ha ha I like it REDSLR, not sure if Brett will as much!

I'm really torn as to which way to go hence asking for people's opinions and their own experiences.

Edited by adrianh08, 06 December 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#8 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

FLI304- Id be interested in talking to someone who has done it so they can give me the heads up on what does and doesn't work well in terms of engine and gearbox mounts, wiring, getting the computer done etc if I do decide to go down that path.

Edited by adrianh08, 06 December 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#9 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

LS all the way. They are a pain to fit. But once the key turns all is forgiven.

I've 36000km since my LS1 conversion. If I was to do it again, I would go ls3.

cheers

Mark

#10 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

Each to their own but if I had my time again it would be LS. So much cheap and easy HP to be had and mostly trouble free driving. If I did a LS I would definitely change the manifold and hide the coil packs tho. I just cant take to it in early cars but each to their own.

As long as its a V8 ya cant go wrong ;)

#11 _fli304_

_fli304_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

FLI304- Id be interested in talking to someone who has done it so they can give me the heads up on what does and doesn't work well in terms of engine and gearbox mounts, wiring, getting the computer done etc if I do decide to go down that path.

Im currently fitting my carby ls3 into my lx running a turbo 400. As i said the off the shelf mounts we had to modify because i wasn't happy with how they fit. I used a holley sump that we modified to clear crossmember and rack. I know you can get the sumps that fit but they run a remote oil filter and i didnt want that. Crossmember was notched also for some extra clearance. Gearbox fit in the tunnel with no mods. Custom pipes and steering column shortened a little where it sticks out through the fire wall. I also got rid of the old steering shaft and replaced with 2 new uni and one straight shaft for more clearance for pipes. And it looks much better then the factory one. Thats what ive done so far but im not sure if that helps at all.👍

#12 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

I think start with the attitude nothing will fit and plan to make it all yourself and it will be much easier.

Mine is not finished but I am past the hard bits and my feeling was the bits that don't fit added a lot of disappointment and slowed me down.

I did use Tuff mounts and it only took 2 sets to get the correct ones and I am using the Moroso 20140 which fits ok for me.

Extractors I made and steering column shortened, haven't yet but will make a new gearbox cross member as the one I bought for the T56 hangs very low and will make for even lower exhaust

I am expecting when I do drive it the annoying bits will be forgotten

Have fun

#13 Holdenbn74

Holdenbn74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Name:Brendan Nichol
  • Car:LH
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

Just went from inj 304 to LS in my LH, reasonably straight forward just fiddly making things fit like extractors but worth for cheap HP 💪💪😀

#14 _GreenLH LS3_

_GreenLH LS3_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

I'd say LS as well. I drove mine daily for years with a injected 5 litre but couldn't justify spending the $ on the Holden engine for any real bang for buck .so I waited and did the LS3 conversion and haven't looked back.
It Now has overdrive and with 3.7 diff gears it's just on 2000 rpm at 110kmh. Stock as a rock (except exhaust) crate LS3 made 370ish hp and 915nm @ the wheels with just a tune and with a standard converter a few weeks ago I went 11.88 @ 112mph on 18inch rims its first time out.
I love the Holden 5 litres , but you'd be mad to sink big money into one if u plan on driving it regularly on the street..... Compared to what an LS will reliably do anyway.

#15 _GreenLH LS3_

_GreenLH LS3_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Fwiw mine has tuff mounts , mast motorsports sump, tci starter, and custom extractors. Harness , Ecu and pedal etc was from PSI conversions I can't rate them highly enough, even with any problem solving after the sale they always emailed me back next day with answers !

#16 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

This is all excellent advice from you all and I really appreciate it.

I am thinking for a lowish k motor and gearbox with loom and ecu etc it will be around 8 grand give or take from what i've seen in my searching so far.

Then another 2 grand or so for the conversion bits and pieces.

A lot of the labour I will do myself in terms of putting it all in.

So for a budget of around 10 grand or so, it is pretty cheap horsepower.

It would cost me the best part of 10 grand to build a half decent stroker engine with the 308 I have sitting around that probably wouldn't produce the same power that a tuned LS3 would.

Still not certain and worried about the "unknown" but I definitely appreciate everyone's advice and sharing of their experiences. 

#17 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

I would also strongly consider an aftermarket ECU and engine wiring harness such as from Holley EFI...

https://www.holley.c...ls_efi_systems/

You will spend a little extra initially than if using an OEM ECU but you will save money on the back end as the Holley stuff is all self-learning and comes with all the software and cables needed to do any setup or fine tuning yourself, so you're looking at $1000+ saving on not getting the thing dyno-tuned plus whatever the OEM tuning software (EFILive or HPtuner for example) costs these days.

The Holley gear also does Drive By Wire (DBW) throttle (or even multiple DBW throttle bodies) plus you can buy third party cruise control (this is rumored to be included in the ECU firmware sometime in the future) and traction control modules designed especially for the Holley EFI systems.

The only things the Holley wiring harness doesn't do are the bolt-on accessories, alternator, starter & air con compressor will all need to be wired separately but no big deal really.

#18 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

That Holley kit looks very interesting.

I run the PSI conversions loom and factory PCM and its great but the tunablility of the Holley looks like a big positive.

#19 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

Stroke the 308, Lot less hassle than a LS1 conversion :)

#20 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

I love a Holden V8 as much as anyone but it'd take a very angry 355 stoker to even come close to a stock standard LS3, and then there's so much more you can do to the LS3 after that, plus they're near half the weight to begin with, and you get reliability and reasonable fuel consumption thrown in.

It's a "no-brainer" really...

P.S. I wouldn't fit an old LS1 though even if I had one laying around, if it was a choice between a Holden V8 stroker and an LS1 I think I would go for the stoker.

Edited by Bigfella237, 14 December 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#21 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

Honestly go straight to the LS3 yeah might take a bit of mucking around but at the end you will be glad you did
you cant beat a big bore engine

#22 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

I've done it once and would do it again for sure.

Good luck either way you go. It's a lot of work regardless of what you do

#23 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:04 AM

OK there are a bunch of you on here that have done it and I really appreciate your thoughts thus far.

What I am looking for is a list of things that need to be done for it to all come together.

There are obvious things and then the more subtle things (often the hardest) such as modifying the wiring loom and getting the ecu programmed to delete things that will not apply to the torana such as a body control module or anything like that.

From what I have gathered so far (Beginning with a full conversion taken from a VF Commodore for example)

1. Sump must be rear hump and oil pick up changed

2. Engine mounts (Heard so many stories about good ones and bad ones that let the motor sit too low or too high etc etc. Who makes the best ones that will fit?)

3. Gear box cross member (Does tunnel need to be modified for the auto? I know it does for the 6 speed manual)

4. Steering column needs to be shortened (Was unaware of this one until reading on here)

5. Custom tail shaft depending on diff and gear box final decision (This is a pretty common thing)

6. Modified wiring loom (Is it better to just buy this or is it doable yourself? What needs to be deleted? What needs to be added?)

7. Custom tune into ECU to suit torana compared to commodore to get it all running.

8. Starter motor? Does this need to be relocated to the other side?

9. What's the best way to go about doing gauges eg speedo, tacho etc etc go new ones to suit the modern set up?

10. From what i've seen the heater box must be eliminated or at least heavily modified to allow the motor to fit.

Guys please add additional things that need to be done that I have missed (most likely lots!) and any comments to the things I have listed.

This is either going to be a brilliant resource for me or scare me off big time ha ha.

Once again I really appreciate everyone's help.

#24 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

I've not had much to do with autos (personally I wouldn't have one if they were giving them away) but I believe the VF Commodore has the 6L80e doesn't it? I found this photo on LS1TECH with a size comparison between a 6L80e (bottom) and a 4L64 (top)...

yukonrebuild07!DSC_0157_640x426.JPG

...so I dare say yes, you will be cutting a LOT of sheet metal out of the tunnel!

Also don't these transmissions require an TCM to control them? Is that handled by the BCM in a Commodore or can the factory ECU do the job?

Another thing not on the list above is the heater core, an old Torana core is only rated at about half the pressure that modern cooling systems run, most people would upgrade that in the course of installing HVAC anyway so the original heater box mentioned doesn't often get reused either.

The steering column and starter motor location will mostly depend on what headers you use, I seem to remember someone here saying they were able to use a cast header something like these...

520-8501.jpg

...and the single pipe gave enough clearance to the stock steering and starter, but if you want to run full length extractors then you likely will need to move some stuff around?

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone bolting in a pair of engine mounts without modifying them first, and most people say afterward that they wish they just made their own from scratch, you will likely need to make your own gearbox cross member anyway and that's just as hard as making engine mounts, depends on your fabrication skills I guess, but if you expect to buy everything and just bolt it in then you will be disappointed.

#25 _GreenLH LS3_

_GreenLH LS3_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

Ok here's what I learnt I'm sure others experiences may vary though. Starter is fine in original spot but standard ones may not clear exhaust so msd, cvr or tci make adjustable positioning gear reduction ones. Speedo I used a gps unit from speed hut so it doesn't need a gbox or Ecu to operate and u can change tyres or diff ratios and it still works accurately. Tacho and other guages are all pretty straight forward.
Sump I know the moroso fits but can be tricky and not cheap setting up the remote oil filters with fittings/hose etc so the mast motorsports sump has the filter as per normal and is really well made. But I saved heaps buying directly off them as one place in WA wanted almost double what I got it shipped to me for from USA.
Engine mounts I know tuff mounts do fit, it is close to the xmember but fits nonetheless . Tunnel should be fine if using auto worse case it only needs a tap to give clearance depending if it's shift kitted as some use a different part that can protrude more than stock but it's no real issue.
Trans xmember my turbo350 one fit I just had to drill new holes where the mount bolts to it.
Steering column doesn't need to be shortened u just need to replace the rag joint with an extra knuckle like the one already on it.
It may be worth looking on PSI conversions website or sending them an email regarding everything else . Even if u get an Ecu with your engine you can send it to them or heaps of similar places and they will delete everything u don't need and set it up for your car including diff gears tyre size etc etc so you won't need a custom tune unless u swap the cam or just want a bit more power.
Also depends on what fuel setup u want whether it's like factory deadhead setups or a return style where the reg is up near the front.
I used LSbrackets.com and got a bracket and idler pulley setup that mounted my alternator down low on the LHS . No idea about the heater box I have an electric heater/fan box under dash but don't use it up in sunny QLD lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users